How many idiots out there believe black people should "get over" slavery?

Whenever I get into an argument about race with a white person, at some point or other they say: "it was over 200 years ago, get over it" or something along these lines. This makes me facepalm to the extremes and I'm tired of it.
Obviously slavery happened a long time ago but that doesn't mean people should get over it, it should be remembered so that humanity can learn from it's mistakes. Would you tell a white person to get over WW2? Of course not, that is really direspectful. Sure, this was almost 100 years ago but the pain is still being felt to this day, same with slavery. Before you lose your shit, I'm not one of those people who plays the "slavery card" just to prove a point, in fact it's not even me who brings up slavery when I argue with white people. I just think you should realise how disrespectful you are being when you say "get over slavery". And no, I'm not reinforcing the politically correct agenda, I don't have an opinion on this subject. I just want to inform you of the consequences of saying "get over it". Those consequences being: you sounding like a complete and utter fool, you sounding like more of a racist (if you're trying to prove that you're not), possibly getting punched in the face (which you bloody well deserve, in my opinion), and many more...
If you're going to leave an opinion and you're just too far up your ignorant, racist ass to tolerate other opinion then I'm not even going to bother debating with your bigoted self.

• Pfffft! Get over it! It was sooooo long ago *takes a swig of mountain dew while I tighten the laces of my over-sized DC skate shoes*
  • No, I don't say that shit because I realise how disrespectful that is to say.
  • I have said it before but now I realise what a twat I've been.
  • I know dem feels, bro.
I honestly don't think I have the willpower to debate with some of you..
Okay, I'm probably about to have a stress-induced mental breakdown but I'll give it a shot at discussing with some of you

Most Helpful Girl

• The amount of people I've seen saying 'oh, just get over it' is ridiculous.

Most Helpful Guy

• Next time they that shit, tell them "We'll get over it when you white people get over the Holocaust, Pearl Harbor, and 9/11". Maybe that'll shut them up.

• *say that shit

• @COCOCHANEL The victims of the Holocaust consisted of Jews (most of them being white), Soviet POW (almost entirely white), Serbs (most of whom were white), homosexuals (many of them being white), the disabled, and even JWs (many who were also white).

The vast majority of Holocaust victims, at least 80% of them, were white people.

What Girls Said 7

• I notice that people that are white (not all) show lack of sensitivity towards this issue.
    People don't understand the effects of slavery are still around today.
    It all has to do with the images that are being displayed in the media , racial profiling , hate crimes etc.
    When that goes away then room for healing will begin.

Of course we don't hold on to resentment... but the fact that it took this long to have a black man as a president shows a lot about where we stand.

• I guess I can't tell if that's a legacy of slavery or just ordinary racism. Every culture is more or less racist. All believe their own people are the best. I don't know if it would be worse or better or the same if black people had just come over like other groups who are easily recognized, the Chinese and Latinos for example and not been held as slaves. I had black friends from Africa in college whose ancestors had never been enslaved (by Europeans anyway, there was plenty of black on black slavery in Africa) and they seemed to think America was remarkably free of race prejudice. Maybe they were just expecting it to be a lot worse from the international media coverage.

• which the shooting of a criminal covered the headlines a black man went, targeted and killed three Bosnians based on the color of their skin and on their ethnicity. However, this didn't even make on to the metaphorical second, third, or even fourth page of the newspaper. What society fails tonrealize is that killings like this happen everyday. That white people are targeted and killed in equal numbers, if not more then minorities. Yet many of these killings, obviously based on race are never lanes as such. Too many people are afraid of being called racist that they let minorities slaughter whites and label them as standard killings or provocation by the media but when a white man kills a minority they are labeled as racist and a hate criminal without a second glance.
      Not to mention, the color of the skin of US presidents has nothing to do with the current racial equality or ideas of the nation. Many people act as if he is some sort of MLK but they often forget that many blacks and

• Other minorities ran for public office and succeeded before he was even born. And they also tend to ignore the fact that he was not the first black to run for president and that the previous runner (s) did a pretty good job. It was mainly because of their opinions that they did not get elected, not the color of their skin. Also, many people tend to forget or are ignorant to the fact that a majority of the reason Obama was elected was because of pressure from the media and the want of a black president.

• slavery was bad but nobody can be blamed because all the perpetrators are dead. white people today are not responsible for what white people did 200 years ago. Also black people today do not have a right to take credit for what their black ancestors went through 200 years ago because they did not go through it themselves. the slaves should be viewed as unfortunate human beings and not as unfortunate black human beings. there is only one race that matters - the human race.

• Well spoken!

• Slavery happened a long time ago and the perpetrators are dead, I agree but white people today are still benefiting from it. Black people are not benefiting from that privilege. I'm sure African Americans are not taking "credit" for the slave's experiences but they are still being met with discrimination and prejudice because of the negative preconceptions that slavery placed on them.

• I was in a dilemma with myself whether to answer this and waste my time or not. When bringing this subject up, you need to be objective. Yes, objective. Why?
    Did you know that plenty wealthy blacks owned WHITE slaves back then? Tell me this, why aren't they called "idiots"? Perhaps because we have something called... double standards, you heard me right. Also, as you can get slavery was widely accepted, when you have such facts in front of you, both of the races owned slaves of the other! I will bring an -extreme- but 'guiding' example up, hopefully you'll get it. When a black person commits a crime against a white person, even if the crime is CLEARLY based on race, no one calls it a "hate crime". Now, when the opposite happens, hell breaks loose. Even though it should break loose in both cases. Double standards much?
    Yes. Black people should get over it. Are they slaves now too or should white people also sell their houses to them because they feel guilty? For how long will white people, have to pay for things that happened so long ago. You know what? I'll ask money from the Persians for reparations, because of the Naval Battle of Salamis which happened 2000 years ago. "Those evil Persians!", "Persian privilege!"
    I don't think that the Irish ever asked for such a privileged place as blacks have, because of their slavery! In their history, they've been treated like slaves, and quite badly as well. Therefore, with all these in mind, your argument is invalid and allow me to tell you that you are inane, not for your question, but because of your close-mindness, extreme subjectiveness and those silly answers who not even a five-year-old would put as answers to a poll.
    Before calling me a "racist idiot who wants to kill every black", let me tell you, I have nothing against blacks. But I have everything against stupidity.

• I totally agree, people expect us to get over something of which the repercussions still effect our community deeply, even in the modern era. Hell, there's people around till this day spending the inheritance money passed down from their slave master ancestors.

• Yeah and there are still black families inheriting money they earned from their black slaves.

• Actually, I would have to make the argument that it is probably more common. You see slavery has been a large trade since at least 3000BC. Many slaves were sold from lower and Central African regions to Egypt and regions in The orient. Many of the people that bought large sums of slaves are still in wealth and in some cases still in power positions.

• Even though these people aren't black you get the jist.

• Lol this post is so bitter - you really gotta chill you know.. I agree that it's not okay to say it like that (especially not as a white person) but it's also wrong of a black person to bring that up whenever they feel "oppressed" in some way going as far as "you ate the last piece of chocolate! - you just didn't leave it for me because I'm black!" or "the waiter didn't serve me first just because I'm black" Like, seriously? How many people must have been sooooo racist to me then!

• I'm not even going to bother with you lol you'll most likely block me.

• Option A is priceless.

• Well it WAZ a long time ago... Its not like everyone routinely treats black people like 2nd class citizens though I am very unhappy with the instances of white cops beating up black boys without any good reason at all, that pisses me off big time.

What Guys Said 18

• Here are some interesting facts for you:

The first slave owner in America was a black man.

The people most responsible for capturing, subjugating, and distributing slaves in Africa from the dawn of time until now have been black.

A few white people owned slaves, and you want to scream and yell at white people...

Well go take a look in the mirror because your skin color is the one most responsible for slavery, since, forever.

www.theroot.com/.../..._owners_did_they_exist.html

Are you going to single out those genetically related to the black people who owned slaves in America, and try and put a guilt trip on them, too?

After how many generations must pass before you will no longer try and put guilt on people who have never owned a slave?

Your answers are so incredibly racist, bigoted, and closed minded, I cannot even begin to describe them.

• Well in all honesty none alive were ever slaves , so there is nothing to have to get over now is there

• Every race has had its slaves and slaveholders.

White people don't use World War Two as an excuse for why they're not doing well... (at least until the Greek economic crisis, LOL). Jews remember the Holocaust, but, if a Jew fails in school or in his career, he doesn't blame the trauma of the Holocaust.

Have you learned from the mistakes of slavery? Since you're endorsing violence against people who disagree with you, I'm thinking you haven't.

You could've actually made your case stronger by pointing out that the racist enslavement of black people ended only a few decades ago, but that would entail pointing the finger at Arab people, and I suspect that you're really interested only in pointing the finger at white people (even though, unlike the Arab slaveholders, all the white slaveholders are long-dead).

• Well there are very few people on this earth who don't have an ancestor who was a slave. It just depends how far back you go. My ancestors were Irish and German serfs who were basically slaves tied to a piece of land. Race slavery is something different of course, it's legacy is more poisonous. You shouldn't be asked to get over racism because it isn't over and probably never will be but slavery per se, well. Another thing to consider is almost all 'black' people in the US are mixed race really. On average 30% of the genes of people identifying themselves as 'black' are from Europe. So you are likely descended from slaveholders yourself. More likely then me, my ancestors came over and settled in the North.

• When they say get over it -they mean stop expecting special priviledges or 'breaks' because of the side of the slave issue you are on. It didn't happen to you. It didn't happen to your parents.

Get an education, get a job, be a productive member of society. You have your equality now so start carrying an equal weight of contributing to society.

Every race and nationality has their tradgedies but lets not act like the white people today were your former slave owners. I didn't do it. My parents didn't do it... we are generations past this now and its time to move on.

Start contributing and taking some pride in this country instead of acting like you don't want to be here. You don't? I'll be the first one to pay a one way ticket out for you.

• It is weird how it become an issue of races considering that in African the slaves were captured and sold by other blacks. A lot of white people did not believe in slavery and actually assisted in freeing slaves during the times of slavery. There was a story about a man who sold all his possessions during the time of slavery in America just so he could purchase the rights to a slave. When he did he made him a free man. Not all whites believed in slavery and many whites died and were jailed trying to end slavery. I don't see it as a race issue I see it more as a they are another human being treat them the way they are supposed to be treated. No one regardless of skin color or whatever should be a slave to anyone.

• Probably something didn't know or didn't want to know

• The vast majority of people alive today know that slavery was and still is an atrocity. If we as a society are going to attempt to move forward with racial equality then we can't continue to dwell on awful things that have happened in the past. Remember it and learn from it, sure. But not warp that part of history into a never ending reminder of how shitty one race was to another, when everyone living today haven't experienced it nor were responsible for it.

• Not a single one of my ancestors was in the United States when slavery was legal but I'm gonna speak my mind anyways. I'd like to point out that black people were not the ethnicity that suffered most under European colonization of the New World. Native Americans were by far the most cruelly mistreated ethnicity in our countries history, we destroyed them utterly in perhaps the most significant genocide the planet ever experienced and even more so than black people, Native Americans still suffer greatly from this tragedy which they will surely never recover from. If any ethnic group can claim to be victims it is them but nobody ever seems to care or notice.

That said, black people in America are not suffering because of just because of slavery they are also suffering as a result of the segregation and brutality that occurred in the century after slavery was outlawed, and if we really want to get into it then you can also look to urban flight which is overlooked too much in my opinion.

I think you are placing too great an emphasis on a tragedy which has long since passed. I know that the chattel slavery of the past was bad and I don't think that it should be forgotten by black people any more than Jewish people should forget the holocaust but instead of focusing on how your ancestors were slaves before anyone you know was alive, you should be bringing focus to the more modern manifestations of slavery. Sex slavery is still a real and major thing even if it is not visible, as I was personally and unexpectedly made aware of at one point in time. If you feel strongly about slavery then you should be trying to stop it today, it's not productive to focus so much on long-passed problems when you can be doing something to help deal with todays problems.

• I think you make a few mediocre points and a large number of just plainly incorrect ones. Although I would first like to ask you a question, in which country do you currently reside?

You see almost all of the countries on earth have, not to say forgotten but, realized that this was slavery socially acceptable in the past. The key word there being in the past. They realize that there is no use in squabbling over it, it happened so many years ago and if we were to pay special care to everyone who had atrocities committed against their ancestors the world would become a complete cesspool. They understand that every single culture or race or ethnicity has at one point been the target of discrimination. they realize this and do you know what they do? They let it go.
    Secondly, American society is very interesting in the sense that we try to get anything we can from the government whether that be privileges or just plain money. Some of these may be just claims but an unfortunate amount of them stems from greed and, in essence, laziness. One of these happens to be slavery. Although exact instances in which someone tried to get something from someone in America through the guilt of slavery cannot be obtained, they most certainly happen. For some reason people don't want to let go slavery. This isn't to say that we should defenestrate it but to dwell upon it is ludicrous. To try and profit from it is even more ridiculous.
    To further my point I would like to give an example. Let's say that a black community with obvious blood connections to slaves decided, for some reason, to sue someone over the fact that their ancestors were slaves. You might say this is justified (personally I don't agree).

But what if Greece was to sue Iran over the invasion of 486BC ( or somewhere around there) that cost many lives. Would that be ok?

You may claim that the chronological difference is what divides the two and what makes one logical and the other not (well both are not logical in my mind). However you forget that slavery was a booming trade since at least 3000 years before the common era.

I would again like to reinforce that forgetting slavery and other like events is not okay in my mind. However when you try and get something out of an event that occurred two generations ago at least i cannot support you. Even if this is a small minority of a large population. I agree that we need to remember these mistakes so we can learn from them ( which is why being a history

• Professor should be mandatory if you run for president, haha). I would also like to assure you that I am not some racist hillbilly or bigot and if you interpreted my words to be proof of that I would greatly appreciate any showing of these phrases so that i may further explain myself. And if youbwrite me off as some racist just based on our differing opinions wouldn't that make you the bigot? Yes, it would.

Oh, I would also like to state that I do not understand you WWII reference. People of all colors served in that war and had equal rank. At least in the U. S. of A!

• Sorry but i am white and i dont care about WW2 because it had nothing to do with me. Slavery had nothing to do with you or anyone that is alive today. So yes it should be remembered as a part of history but everyone needs to get over it for daily personal reasons.

• I don't think they should "get over it" or act like it never happened but I don't think they should blame anyone of the current generation for what their ancestors did.

• No one blames the current generation for the actual slavery but the current generation are benefiting from it still

• It didn't even happen to a single person in this generation. Its kinda stupid just like how when people hold grudges it gets you no where in life.

• I mean it didn't happen to you at all and complaining about it's about as productive as the English cricket team the other night, but who am I?

• Reminds me of how many Natives believe that it was their land first, so they get special benefits or don't have to care about the environment as much. Which is really twisted because they have so many laws protecting them from punishments of poaching.

• What does shaming white people about slavery solve?

• We should certainly remember it, but you have not suffered at all from it. There's nothing for you to get over.

• you need better analogies... which white person is butthurt over WWII?

sorry, but slavery was over a long time ago. people should only get butthurt over its legacy. blacks in the USA have the same rights now, no jim crow. the "man" isn't as putting you down as much as he used to..

• If skavery is realy such big thing for you then i am wondering what are you doing agaist slavery? Because there is still some kind of slavery nowadays!!