Why someone cut/hurt themselves?

I just can't understand, for what?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't understand either, but some say physical pain helps reduce emotional pain, or it's a self-punishment... Or they are so numb they want to feel something, so they cut. I think it's stupid and a person with a wish to cut should immediately look for professional help/turn themselves in to appropriate institutions.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've gone through a period of time where I would cut myself somewhat severely, and now that it's been some years I find it really hard to understand why I started or to explain it to myself. It's a lot of things mixed together, I guess as most things are. It was about self-punishment, pushing limits, focusing on physical pain to distract from mental pain. And also about trying to feel better, since after the intense pain that comes with cutting you get the release of endorphins and the soothing flow of warm blood and it's nice. There's something addictive about it and I still think of doing it sometimes when I'm feeling way down, though holding a razor blade makes me feel sick to my stomach. In that way I guess it's similar to something like drinking when you're depressed, it hits the same nerves as any coping mechanism.

What Girls Said 5

• I've heard it's to drown out the psychological pain. I've done it before just for fun. There's a lot of adrenaline.

• Some people feel likes it a release from their troubles and it makes them feel better

• I used to do it. I was struggling with depression and it was the only way I could feel any emotion.

• I am quite surprised by that belle you seem really strong and always seem happy.

• @kerbie it was when I was in high school. And even though I'm strong, I have my moments of weakness :)

• Its a coping mechanism used to deal with emotions/pain/life. Its a way of controlling your emotions, to force yourself to focus on the physical pain rather than emotional pain...

• its to relieve stress and fee l better. it doesn't work though.

What Guys Said 8

• Usually to manipulate others, but it can also be a symptom of schizophrenia, in which case you will never understand it.

• This link might help
    ie.reachout.com/.../

• They think it'll... uh... make their pain go away?

Yeah this is why I could never be a fuckin therapist.

• Usually it's either a coping mechanism or a form of self-punishment. It gives you pleasure actually. The cuts hurt for a bit but soon after that you'll feel a rush of endorphins which feels good. For a little bit, one might even feel a bit 'high'.
    Needless to say, this can become very addicting.

I once tried a single cut just to see what all the fuss was all about. It felt good. It was so confusing. Never did it again after.

• I could never do it either, but for some it may be the only coping mechanism that works as incredibly damaging as it is. I would be curious if there was something that made them think that would help or how it lead up to that

• My girl Hannah says she cut herself because she felt she needed to be punished for hurting her mum

My girl Hannah did not hurt her mum she died from a massive heart attack Hannah could not have done anything even if was there and doctor said chances are no one would have been able to help her even paramedic

• I did once to punish myself for being a bitch. I was in a really bad place at the time.

• Because it is the only way we can feel pain more extreme than the pain of suffering as ourselves. I do not do it any more but i used to.