Is smoking really addicting?

To those who tried it, is smoking actually addicting? When you first tried it did you become addicted or was it just something you were curious to try and then never went back to it? If it is addicting to you, then why? Is it the taste? The smell? The hand motions? The mental feeling?

I'm asking because while I"m not a smoker, my best friend has a brother who smokes all the time and she says she's becoming addicted to the smell and wants to try badly.

Most Helpful Guy

• cigarettes are extremely addicitng because they contain nicotine. In your body you have some things called nicotine receptors which are used as a communication method. Your body naturally produces nicotin as well so it can activate the nicotine receptors. Think of nicotine as a mailman and the receptors as a mailbox. What happens is when you smoke you get a huge increase of nicotine (mailmen). Your body wants to always stay in balance so when you introduce all this extra nicotine from smoking your body detects that it has a lot of it so it slows down the natural production of nicotine. Since your body is not producing as much as it would otherwise, when the nicotine runs dry it prevents messages from getting sent which causes you not to feel well. The quick fix to this is to just smoke another cigarrete and the whole cycle continues again. I hope that makes sense 👍

Most Helpful Girl

• I've heard that some companies put tiny fiberglass shards in the cigarettes so that they make tiny tears in your lung tissue and help absorb the nicotine etc. more - which is horrifying.

And yes, they are highly addictive for chemical reasons as far as I understand.

What Guys Said 13

• Smokers start when they hang out with other smokers. And when you're young you are more likely to give in to the temptation to try it when your peers are all doing it. You don't get addicted after one cigarette. It takes some time and repetitive behavior for it to take hold of you. Soon your body craves it. That's when you get 'hooked'! Over time it can destroy your lungs. There is no positive effects from it... all negative! So, do not even start!
    Yes I smoked in my youth. One pack a day for 10 years. I quit when I was 28 years old. I am SO SO glad that I did. Good health is it's own reward and well worth it!

• It was very hard to quit! Imagine being hungry for food but not allowed to eat.
      With nicotine the craving is constant and can last for many many weeks or months. I've heard that there are some people who have quit but never lose the craving.

• Very addictive. People dying of cancer who are on oxygen still light up, and often have terrible burns from the explosion of the oxygen hitting the flame.

• Yes it is. Most people talk about the taste of cig or just the act of smoking in general to be relaxing. I'm not a smoker I tried one before but hated it.

• Yeah it is, and its scary when you realize you are addicted to it
    If you are referring to cigarettes, the addiction is real
    i used to want to smoke in every anxious social setting, i would smoke probably 5 cigarettes a day at my worst... but i was only smoking on a daily basis for about 8 months

i quit at the end of the last fall semester... i needed to end that habit

• Yes. Worst addiction ever. I tried for years to quit. I finally did, but it's too late - it destroyed my health forever.

• Nope, i went cold turkey Dec 14, 2012 and haven't smoked a cigarette at all
    some people think you can get addicted I'm living proof i can live without
    smoking ,.

• I'm addicted to cigars. I love the taste of them.

• Nicotine is considered the 2nd most addictive drug on the world.

• I Don't, but you really do get addicted

• I tried it three times. Never got addicted. It's horrible

• What part of it is horrible? It's weird how so many of our parents and grandparents used to do it and found it pleasurable. Now that we know the health effects, most people say it's disgusting, lol.

• The horrible part is when the smoke gets into your lungs. You can actually feel it going down and out again, that's why first timers will cough.. lol that's true, my dad used to be an avid smoker. I think what's the addicting is the smell or taste and actually there are chemicals in it that actually promotes it to be addictive..

• Yeah it is addicting

• yes it is. only losers smoke though.

• first I've been smoking for 3 weeks, thought i was smoking right. then a friend noticed i wasn't in healing correct... so then i started in healing... smoked or a month but never got addicted , i quit smoking, bec my granny died bec of smoking she had cancer...

What Girls Said 6

• The first time I tired it, no I didn't get addicted to it, I didn't even get addicted at parties whenever I'd drink and smoke, any who the only time you get addicted is when you feel like you crave one, and can hardly function through your day without one. I believe they say more or less its the habit of motion putting something up to your mouth etc. I doubt it's the taste because it really doesn't taste good lol.

• Depends what you're aiming and really the kind of person you are. I smoke marijuana everyday for medical reasons, I wouldn't say I'm addicted to it because it doesn't actually hurt me but I am dependent on it for pain reasons. However I also used to smoke cigarettes every day and I felt terrible, so I quit cold turkey and haven't smoked a cigarette since. But some people can actually become quite dependent on the nicotine in cigarettes so I can see how they become addicted.

• No you just get this annoying cough when you first try it.
    I left it at that , because I didn't want to get sick just to fit in. That's an expensive and unhealthy addiction

• True about the cost. They are almost 9 dollars where I live, haha.

• I am curious about the Nicotine... like that makes it addicting... But I'm not going to try it because so many people seem to have a hard time quitting

• Yes, they can become addicting once you smoked them for so long. My sister smokes cigarettes occasionally and I hate the smell and being around her when she smokes them.

• I've tried it before and never got addicted.

• Depends on the person but yeah you can hooked after one cigarette