Best books or websites for learning Japanese?

Gonna be living in Japan for one year doing a master's degree. Degree is in English so that's ok

But I want to learn Japanese, as fluent as the average Japanese person (like a Japanese high school grad). What's the best book or website? I can speak some and I only know a few kanji. I have six months before I go

Most Helpful Guy

• YouTube is your best friend. That's how I keep up with Japanese, and also through simulcast anime as it airs on TV in Japan. Like any language, it changes, and even now I have to ask my friends in Japan from time to time "What does x mean?" Then they patiently explain and I feel stupid for not getting it. I'm retiring there.

What Girls Said 1

• I've been learning Japanese for ten years now and found that once you know the basics it's awesome to watch videos or hear recordings of people speaking it and then trying it yourself. Initially though flashcards and audio things were the go for me. Practice hearing, knowing how to address different people and the correct ways to put sentences together first then focus on trying to string complex things together. Teach Yourself; Complete Japanese is a good book as is the basic Japanese for Dummies. But hearing, interpreting and speaking worked best for me.

What Guys Said 3

• I've watched enough cheap hentai to understand the basics. Always wondered why they have big arse speeches describing what's going on. It's like cricket commentary on a really slow day.

• I don't know but get get a frequency dictionary so you can learn the most commonly used words like personal pronouns and verbs rather than wasting time with words you'll hardly ever use like the names of animals or colors.

• How about Japanese comics?