Why do people always refer to me as Mexican?

i mean yes i am hispanic and yes i speak Spanish but im not Mexican. I get so annoyed when i accidentally say somthing in Spanish and my friend says if you're not gonna make me a burrito or at least take me to Chipotle speak English.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because you live in usa.. Where it has among the highest concentration of dumb people.

• Yeah you're probably right. Or maybe its just my accent.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ignorance. It's like someone calling an Asian by an incorrect derogatory slur. People are idiots.

• Believing that someone is Mexican is not derogatory, though. Using derogatory slurs is, obviously, derogatory. I work with a guy who appears (to most of us) Mexican. Learning about his background (immigrated with his parents but passed his 18th birthday without gaining citizenship so needed to go through a long process) sounded similar to others coming into the US from Mexico. If you were to guess a nationality, Mexican is reasonable.

• I agree with what you are saying about the comments. What I was seeing was that her question was about being referred to as Mexican. And that is a mistake that is understandable. that was my point. You were considering the "slurs". I got the feeling that her friend was being intentionally silly with his/her comments, not derogatory.

• Agreed, being Mexican is not an insult.

What Guys Said 6

• I dont know but u can say to a white person oh i thought u were black! And when they explain they ain't u can say yeah i am not mexican DUH!

• So what are you Latin, Spanish, Mexican, Puerto Rican etc?

• Why would you get mad about it. It's your culture wtf I don't give half a fuck when somebody refers to me as Mexican me vale verga

• Can you tell the difference between someone from Ireland or Scotland by sight or sound?

• By the pattern of his kilt.

• Yeah the accent o. o

• *a lot* of people can't tell the difference between isish/scottish accents, any more than one may or may not between a Peruvian/panamanian accent, or a Czech/georgian accent..

@print

• I think because Mexico is the nearest and biggest Spanish-speaking country, so people automatically think that.

• Do you live in America?

• Currently, yes

• Oh nothing. You sorry that sounded exceedingly creepy but I was just wondering. I'm from the Netherlands.

• That's cool i've been there a few times

What Girls Said 2

• I know how you feel. Everyone from my side of the world is "Russian", even if we don't have a single Slavic ancestor. And all the East Asians are "Chinese". It's just ignorance and most people don't mean anything bad by it.

• Most Hispanic immigrants are Mexican