Should the rich help the poor?

• No
  • Yes
  • Other-explain

Most Helpful Guy

• Actually they already do, (@MrOracle going to barrow this from you)
    Rich people usually get involved in philanthropy (giving money to fund public projects, scholarships, etc.), and most employ a lot of people. I'm not sure why they need to do more, especially when there are so many who refuse to help themselves.

The rich do quiet a bit, like Oracle said they employ the middle and lower class folks like myself, give quite a bit to charity's and such, I think they do fine.

What Guys Said 15

• Yes... and they do, primarily by employing them. They also pay a lot of taxes, despite taking advantage of every available loophole.

Ultimately, it's every person's responsibility to help themselves, and if you look at people who are struggling, many of them make LOTS of poor decisions. For example, several people in my own life who struggle financially also have expensive habits (smoking, drinking, etc.) and many of them have pets, and all of the expenses that come with them, even though they struggle to pay their own bills and usually don't have housing appropriate for the pets.

Others culturally don't value education or jobs, and so by the time they leave high school, many lack the skills to run a cash register or even speak to customers correctly, which means they've limited themselves to either menial labor jobs, welfare programs (or disability fraud), or out-and-out criminal activity to make a living. I'm not sure what the rich could do to change that.

• The rich should not be forced to.

There are two types of poor people and these types are:

1. Those that but effort in and do their best to provide for their family etc and those people deserve help.

2. Then there are those that sit on their ass all day and make no effort. These poor people I have much less sympathy for.

If I was really wealthy then use I would help some poor people but I would not want them using me either.

• This is what I'm about and wha I mean, that's why I like to directly help so I can see who I'm helping

• @Dave_Jose I get sick and tired of those people that go on about how rich people have only got rich by ripping people off. Some may have done that yes but the majority of them have worked very hard to get where they are while most of the people that have complained about it have sat at home on the sofa with no job kind of thing either that or have a job and spend more than their income.

• Depends. I know and see poor people all the time who are poor and in bad situations because of there own doing. Why should they be bailed out only to turn around and continue their destructive living habits? I work hard for my money. I refuse to "help" the poor only to watch them turn around and buy drugs or smokes or some other way to piss it all away. I know not everyone is like that so the decision is up the giver and how they feel.

• Yupppp

• Story for you... This one time I was getting done working midnights and I was meeting my wife for breakfast at a near by restaurant. There was a bum outside peddling for money. I didn't have cash, (I pay with debit), so I turned him down. I felt super guilty that I was about to enjoy a meal and this guy isn't. He is clearly down on his luck. He is filthy and dirty and looks like he was up most of the night. I had to wait at the restaurant for about 10 mins for my wife. So I watched this guy ask everyone who came in or out of the restaurant for money. Finally he had enough money to come in for some food. I still felt bad for not helping him. He sat down a couple of tables from me. When the waitress came over to take his order, do you know what he wanted? A FUCKING BEER! At 7 am! This low life mother fucker peddled all those people for money, making them think they were going to help him, and he turns around and uses their money for his alcohol! My guilt disappeared really quickly!!!

• That would piss me off so bad
      I would just give them food

• Those who have more and earn more should pay more. The government should then use that money to help improve the lives of the poor in a sustainable way. This means investing in education and encouraging companies to develop in poorer areas.

The rich do benefit from the poor and vice versa but there is a growing gap that is not due to the qualities of either but to the downside of capitalism. Government should be there to address those downsides. Every system has it's downsides and 'pure' capitalism is a bad idea.

• Well, speaking specifically of the US, if minimum wage was actually a *living* wage, people wouldn't have the need for charity in order to survive. They'd also be able to live with the dignity that they deserve, the lack of which is an underestimated detriment of the system we live in.

• You should help people when it's in your self-interest to do so. Helping the poor indiscriminately is not in your self-interest.

The implication of your question is that the rich owe something to the poor, and that is not true.

Of course, if you really wanted to help the poor a lot (or at least the morally good among them), then you could do nothing better than advocate a free market, so that there is plenty of jobs and there are no regulations that do so much to cripple ambition. Tellingly, almost all people who claim to be on the side of the poor oppose the one political-economic system that can truly help the poor (or, rather, allow the poor to help themselves). Many of them are actually motivated by hatred of wealth, which is why for example they talk so often about inequality rather than actual poverty.

• Everyone should help the poor. The rich shouldn't be more obligated to help the poor just because they're rich. Any human being capable of extending a hand to someone else that is less well off than them should do so.

• God blessed you so that you can bless others.

• I think in the spirit of paying forward, those who have the means should help the poor. Just remember, no man is an island unto himself. A rich man or woman is rich because society has deemed him or her so. Therefore, to progress the society which lifted him or her up, he need pay forward by helping those who are below him on the societal ladder.

• No one gave it to the rich man
      He gave it to myself
      Sure maybe people spent money at his business, but he's the one who was behind the marketing

• Money is a construct of society. Take a thousand dollar bill out into the wilderness. Guess what? Outside of the constraints of society, it's as useful as a leaf.
      Society creates the environment in which one becomes rich. Thus, in an act of self interest, it is necessary that the rich man help progress society by helping those who are poor, be it directly investing in the lower class or investing in new technology by which humanity can raise itself a step higher. If the rich fail to do this, society will begin to crumble, and their fall will be inevitable.
      With great luxury comes great responsibility. When you become rich, you inherently accept the responsibility of helping to progress society by providing monetary support.

• "Should," Yes. "Must," No.

• Depends on the poor.

Example; if someone just sits about the house and does fuck all with their life... then bitches about being poor... no they shouldn't not be helped by the rich

• Yes, but not through charity. It should be done through taxation. It feels less like a handout that way.

• said no meant yes lol my bad, but they are not required to but i mean they can and everyone should help others,

• why? why should the people who worked for their money spend it on someone who didn't

• I agree 100 percent hah

• They HAVE TO

What Girls Said 7

• Rich should teach the poor earn their own money instead of feeding them and therefore making them dependent (and in some cases even more helpless). "Help" to the "third world" is doing more damage than good in the long run, ruining entire economies. So does excessive "social security". I see people with smartphones, tattoos, fancy manicure and other expensive stuff, buying pricy seafood and other non-essentials on food stamps every day, while my friends and I have to work hard to put bread on our tables. No hate on people who hit a rough patch in their lives and need some temporary help, but too many of them are getting way too comfortable in that kind of lifestyle and refuse to find a job. It's like watering the desert and we are running out of resources fast. It's predicted that in a year or two US will no longer have enough money to pay all the benefits and pensions.
    So I'd say, as the saying goes, instead of giving people fish, teach them how to catch their own.

• Great opinion (y)
      I agree

• Oops - I accidentally selected No.. I meant Yes... I just blindly expected Yes to be the top option...

• Yes, most definitely. People who are blessed should share with less fortunate. But I am strongly against people being forced to help. And very strongly against wealth redistribution.

• Why should the wealthy share with the less fortunate?

• I'm with you as a fellow Christian, but I don't like to help those who just get money but don't try to earn money and just sits at home all lazy

• I totally and completely agree @dave_jose

• Personally yes, But I voted for C. It's all up to them frankly. No one likes being told what to do with their money. If I was rich I'd help the poor.

• If they want to.
    It's their money, they can choose what to do with it.

• Depends on where you live. Many people that are poor cannot help it.

• Vote A x 100000000000 unless emotionally moved to.