Are you fussy about grammar?

Like how people don't use as adverbs anymore (they would say "That went bad" instead of "That went badly") getting spellings wrong like "then" instead of "than" etc.

• Yes
  • No
  • Haven't thought about it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I dislike people whose grammar is so bad that you can't understand what they are saying. Then and Than are two totally different words. If you use the wrong one then you just aren't bright enough to grasp the English language. That kind of thing pisses me off because I do not like illiteracy in first world countries, people who cannot be bothered to learn to read and write properly.

But I also dislike grammar Nazi's who would correct something like 'that went bad' to 'that went badly'. In that instance there really is no need, I don't mind for the sake of education - to correct someone so they are aware why it is wrong, but the ones who use it to show other people up during arguments and debates. There's no need for that shit and it just highlights how little of an argument you have if you have to pick on such trivial things.

• I hate it when the only way someone can make an argument back is to highlight a grammatical error. I don't do that although I am aware when people don't use adverbs and it bothers me because they're there for a reason. Nowadays it's the non-English people who seem to use English the way it's supposed to be used since they aren't then influenced by slang and colloquialisms.

• That's because they are learning English, learning the grammar patterns and such. My English is good but it's not perfect, and it's my first language. It is a notoriously difficult language to learn to as it has some really stupid rules.

If I'm honest I don't know what an adverb is. I just about know what a noun and pro-noun are, and I know verb is a doing word which means adjectives must be describing words but after that I've not a clue. I do speak English correctly as best I can though. I was thinking about the bad/badly and there's no way I'd leave it as a bad. It doesn't sound right. Ignorance is everywhere, people just cannot be bothered to learn the language.

Most Helpful Guy

• i don't care about SENTENCE STRUCTURE (wot's "g*****r"?)

seriously i don't understand y some people tend to go mad when someone says "wot" instead of "what"..."y" instead of "why"... or "u" instead of "you"

we r not in school... and if someone has at least basic knowledge in English can figure out wot i say... i just write like this for fun... if someone takes it so seriously... then wot can i say?

• There's a difference in writing for fun, convenience (as text speak was back in the day) and then just using the wrong words because somehow you don't know any better. Like those who say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less".

I don't think many people care in our society since the way we speak even if it's incorrect at times has become the norm.

• You're one of the good ones *tears up*

What Girls Said 9

• if I'm marking a paper, of course. i have to be.
    on an online setting, some things annoy me more than others. a lot. like i dont get how people think his and he's is the same word. or the typical there/their/they're mix up.

other things dont irritate me as much tho. like i dont sit there including every apostrophe in my words, and others might not feel bothered typing out the full word or take time to think about which one is right. I don't know, everyone has their own 'style' of writing.

• No, not really. I probably should be considering I studied English for the past 13 years but no, it doesn't bother me :)

• It honestly depends if it's while texting or over the internet. No I wouldn't really say it matters, but if they're at school or at work I think they should be able to tell the difference and actually use proper grammar.

• Certain things bother me greatly.

• I don't mind that much... But what I do dislike (And I guess I'm mean for that) is when the person's English isn't that developed yet, that it confuses me.
    It's not his or her fault, but it annoys me a bit

• It matters to me, but I'm not an uptight bitch about it. As long as you can spell basic words and know when to use commas and periods, I'm satisfied lol

• Nope, not really

• Unbelievably. I will correct anyone in any situation. Rather annoying, really.

• somewhat yes

What Guys Said 4

• No I'm neutral until they spell like this
    Whts rong wit u man u cnt unstnd wht Im sayng fght me bro
    You get the picture lol 😭😂 I just annoyed myself lol

• Doesn't bother me; unless said person is calling someone stupid or the such... then fucking up very basic English.

• 0|0
  • Grammar overlord to the bone.