Do most parents think they're more superior than their children just because they're older and "gave" them a life?

Some parents (especially here in America) that I've ran into have this sense of entitlement toward their children as if they're property to them just because they're older and gave birth to them. On top of that, they (mostly American parents) think they can get away with occasionally treatintg their kids like crap and get no backlash or degree of consequences for it.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• The way I see it is this: if they feed and clothe you when you're a vulnerable small person making their lives difficult, you owe them. Does that make them superior? Debatable. Does it mean they're entitled to have you do certain things, like respect their opinion? Yes. Does it mean you have no rights whatsoever? No. Do they know things you don't? Almost certainly. But you probably know something they don't, too.

Of course, you will probably have a bit more freedom when you're working and not directly dependent on them for your physical needs. But the fact remains that you owe them and you will continue to owe them for the rest of your life, unless you are fortunate enough to repay their contribution to you in their old age.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I have this problem with my mother and stopped talking to her a few days ago. She uses me as an emotional and financial crutch and has kept me stressed out and worried about the problems she creates since I was a young child, not to mention she has put me in physical danger, thrown stuff at me, and I've had to disarm knives from her before. Hell with a mother like mine anyone would have become a master at martial arts really.

• If that happened around my neighborhood, your mother would have either gotten shot dead or brutally beaten up by a group of other women who are single mothers. Yeah I live in a borderline-ghetto by the way.

• My mom is some kind of witch or some shit. And a meth whore.

• For most part, almost everyone in my area carries guns and other weapons for the sake of protecting their children or families from burglary (perpetrated by rival gang members and yes, we have a few gang members living on my street), child predators and just people looking to cause more trouble.

What Girls Said 13

• Please explain to me how creating another human being does NOT make you in charge of them? They've been here longer, they know how it works. Of course they're going to be smarter. That's how it is. If it bothers you... move out and stop talking to them. But until then... quit bitching.

• Parents are in a position of authority over their children. That's the way it has always been. The parent is the adult. They have wisdom and life experience that children do not have. That's why it's important for them to rule over the children and impose discipline. Having said that, a lot of parents are cruel and verbally abusive, which is not right. You can be firm without resorting to that.

• I mean it's understandable that it's necessary for parents to have position of authority over their children for the sake of their safety but remember that keeping children to raise as your own is a privilege, not a god-given right that you can take for granted.

• I'm not making the argument that all parents are good. There are certainly bad ones out there. The vast majority are good people doing the best they can, and I think children would be best served by listening to and learning from them. I think it's the children who are out of control today and have the sense of entitlement.

• Now I understand where you are coming from and your last comment sounds fair and reasonable. However, while children aren't the ones paying the bills, we still have to consider that the vast majority of parents here in the US made the choice to have kids at their own free will and the fact that no children ever asked to be born. Therefore, we have to be well aware that our own free will of having kids still come with a rigorous amount of responsibilities and consequences.

• Children aren't property but the parents DO own them. And no. No parent can get away with abusing their child... if it's reported.

Many cases are.

• You sorta are their property but no they can't just abuse you

And yeah in away they are superior to you especially if you are under 18, dont pay the bills and eat the food they buy and also if they got you a car

Like you haven't lived yet really, they know more than you in most cases

Dont be a brat

• The point is, no children can ask to be born and the vast majority of parents made the choice to have kids at their own free will so they should also accept the fact that their choices of having children will always come with a rigorous amount of responsibilities and consequence so they all have to suck it up, deal with it and stop acting so entitled.

• There is a law against that. Parents can get charged for Child Neglect.

• Not if you run away and are never seen again

• Chinese parents!

• Yes. My dad shoved that one into my face so much I can't stand him anymore.
    Some people are not meant to be parents.

• 100%! It's so annoying. My mom thinks she knows everything. But, obviously she doesn't. Everyone is still learning until they die

• very common and true.

• It's usually the other way around lol

• Yes but that's just nature

• Yes and I find it annoying many times lol

• Yeah, I think they see their kids as kids, and not as young people.

• I can understand kid making unwise choices since they haven't lived long enough but no need to berate and bully your children and remind them that they're below you.

• Obviously. That is extremely unhealthy for human development.

• Yes most or pretty much all parents do, but I speak my mind and don't let my parents just speak down to me.

Not necessarily talk back but I am still a human being that has a opinion and feelings and being a parent doesn't give them or any other parents a right to walk over us.

• It's funny that parents would only do this to their children when their minors with limited rights but once they become fully grown legal adults, they wouldn't dare to try their kids with their bullshit anymore.

• I beg to differ my parents will still do it especially my dad.

• Maybe you're parents are the exceptions but I have a friend who's a fully grown man that was the victim of physical and emotional child abuse from his parents and once he finally grew up, they stopped abusing him and all of the sudden either started saying positive things about him or left him alone, especially after witnessing him beating the dog shit out of someone (who is most likely drunk) at a bar for trying to attack him unprovoked.

What Guys Said 9

• sure there r some who behave like this but not all... not even most.. at least i hope so.

and no they shouldn't treat their kids like shit, otherwise they shouldn't become parents anyway... but still i think they can be punsished wid abush no? they cannot get away wid it anymore...

• I think most people are fairly reasonable chaps who don't dominate their children more than just to nurture, guide and guard them, and be their friend and family. I might be putting to much trust in mankind but I hope that those bad stories you hear of parents being selfish with their children and not treating them like people - I hope the bad stories are the exception.

• Parents are superior to their children. This is trivial.

Now, define being treated like crap and then, provided we are not talking about abuse here, also think about whether the child deserved it.

• So punching, kicking and verbally abusing your children is okay by the logic of your last statement?

• Learn how to read and stop making extreme examples. It's annoying when people try to justify their point by looking up the most radical example in the book. Are all children being abused by their parents? No.

I also specifically stated that I am not talking about abuse.

• Aahaahahahahha he's complaining about America. Visit us in the Middle East when you have time buddy :D

• No idea if most parents are that way, but there are definitely many - too many - parents who think that way.
    I guess the consequence is that once no support from the parents is needed anymore, they are going to get screwed over by their children.

• Most kids think they know everything there is to know in the world in the very short span that they have been alive for.

• I hate my dad. He always swears at me for no reason, but if I try to say aniything my wi-fi will certainly dissapear the next day.

• You sound like a child revolting lol

• And what are you then? A troll (who think's he's above others) trying to prove something with his answer?

• Well, just in terms of money:

"The average cost of raising a child born in 2013 up until age 18 for a middle-income family in the U. S. is approximately $245,340 (or $304,480, adjusted for projected inflation), according to the latest annual "Cost of Raising A Child" report from the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Aug 18, 2014"

That's average not middle class and doesn't count the parents' time or inconvenience as worth anything,