Can anyone explain why having Gender Identity Disorder makes someone a hero?

I don't get it, and I don't understand that out of all the mental illness, Gender Identity Disorder gets comments like "she's beeeeautiful", or "SHE'S a hero". Can anyone explain it to me?

Most Helpful Girl

• "Hero" and "mental illness" are both terrible words to describe this.

Basically, we are both male and female. Take a piece of paper, cover up half of your face and look in a mirror at the other half. Do this back and forth until you figure out which side is more masculine and feminine.

The bodies that we live in are NOT who we are. Think of a someone born as a man who feels like a woman. Basically, he was born with a handicap. Instead of being blind, deaf or missing limbs, this person was born as the wrong sex.

This is an exciting time in the growth of humanity as we are learning to accept people for who they are, and not what they look like.

Try to understand what it would be like to pretend to be one person who you are not; your entire life is a lie and you suffer because no one understands. It takes an immense amount of courage to announce to everyone that you are changing sexes. Losing a job or getting a divorce, moving etc takes courage and are big life changes. Changes sexes, whew, I can only imagine.

• There is no such thing as being born as the wrong sex,
      someone who thinks he is of the wrong sex is definitely mentally ill. And mentally ill people shouldn't be applauded but admitted to a psychiatry.

• @someguy97 so... what about people born as hermaphrodites? who should they love?

• Uh, I knew this would come up, I already tried to remember the names of various syndroms I learned about in biology class years ago for my first comment, but I thought I'll just leave it out. Whatsoever, these people are somewhat special anyway and as far as I know they do develop traits of one sex more than of the other, so yeah.. I guess they should live as that gender.

Most Helpful Guy

• Bruce is no hero more like an attention whore that now has his own TV show

What Girls Said 6

• The disorder itself isn't what people are applauding.
    The fact that the person has the level of bravery and courage to come out to the whole world is what people find so remarkable.
    There have been people who were disowned by their families, those that face acts of discrimination, and lose their lives for coming out with GID (they tend to live a open life about it).
    So, I respect that these people can do that and are risking losing every thing just to be themselves.

• I think it deserves recognition from friends and family because changing one's life like that so drastically means the person is up for a lot of ridicule to stand by what they believe. But to make a big deal award presentation is lost on me too. I think it's an aggressive attempt by the media to try and do some good to show that transgendering is a real thing, and we should really be accepting it. I get it. People like me don't need the reminder, because I already accept. But people who don't are being hit hard with the do-gooding of the media who are performing some public puppeteering to try and send the message that it's okay to be you and stop bullying others for being who they are too.

• Because being transgender is something that is only just gaining acceptance in society, so it takes a lot of courage to be open about gender dysmorphia and to actually go through the physical transition. A lot of people still do not accept that gender dysmorphia is a real thing, and they do not respect transgender people and their choices. Being openly transgender is still quite dangerous.

• It doesn't. But, in a society where being trans is highly stigmatised and in many places can mean that you either get kicked out of your home or lose your job, being so open about it is admirable, in my opinion.

• I wouldn't call people who come out as anything a "hero", but they do help people who feel like their sex doesn't match their gender. (Gender is NOT the same thing as sex. I really don't want to get in a debate about that.) It's hard being LGBT in some place in the world. Even here it is a little bit hard. Transgendered men and women get murdered for being who they are, so seeing someone who is just like them that has confidence in themselves and doesn't care what people think helps with the person struggling with their identity. Being transgendered or any gender identity is not a mental disorder. It doesn't fit the criteria to be considered one. Therefore, it's not. I may not look at someone who identifies themselves as transgendered and is vocal about it a "hero", but in other people's eyes they are. That's their opinion.

• It doesn't. it makes him an attention whore

What Guys Said 0