Non-Religious People ONLY: How do you think religious came into play?

I'm asking for only opinions from non-religious people, as religious people will only say God and leave it there and get defensive for what I'm about to say.

Basically, I can not possibly believe that one guy created an entire universe, everyone on earth, all animals, has an issue with certain people and really stupid things, deems on gender basically a slave to the other, yet says "love thy neighbor", and wants us to love each other... I can not in my right mind believe any of that. So I came up with the idea that religion was created back in the old days when people were really stupid and would believe just about anything you told them. A group wanted ultimate power and decided to come up with an omniscent power and people believed them and they were hailed an important/powerful group who could make sure they didn't go to hell and so religion, specifically Christianity, was born.

So thats my legit reasoning on how religion was born. Any other ideas?

Most Helpful Guy

• During hundreds of thousands of years, people where ignorant about physics, about astronomy, about health and illnesses, about nearly everything.
    They just didn't know why things happened to them and around them. They were afraid, of course. Looking for a cause, they didn't find a better or easier answer than 'some higher power'.

Whenever they were frightened they tried to get in good terms with that higher power, hoping for help and relief. So they learned to pray and practice masses , sacrifices and peace offers, masses, hoping to get what they wanted: iazzarun.files.wordpress.com/.../...tionofgod1.jpg and some made it their science, became priests or shamans. Since people looked at priests in admiration, they told them many things which they wouldn't tell to others, their fears and petty secrets, their sorrows and the priests listened, gathered quite a bit of practical knowledge, shared it only with other priests.

Mankind needed laws when it started to live in society and needed some rules to stay healthy, to make their tribe stronger than other tribes.
    Some people, probably priests, smarter than the others, figured out some basic rules they thought would help a lot.

Back then those people were an uncivilized bunch, raping, stealing killing and fighting all the time.
    If Moses had simply gone to them with some rules just saying "I think it's better to stop raping, stealing killing and fighting all the time", they'd have laughed, taken away what they wanted and raped his wife, daughters, sons, maybe himself too. Thus he went up the mountain, waited till there was a good frightening thunderstorm, then went back to his tribe with the rules he had composed and told them, "did you hear the thunder, see the lightning? That was that higher power, God! He told me this"... and gave them the 10 Commandments he had invented, (of course with a good show and a lot of preaching to make it seem realistic.)

• Moses did that, Muhammad did it, Buddha and the other founding fathers of religions used similar tricks.

The chiefs discovered that it was easier to rule over that raw bunch if they had help from the priests and the priests organized religion for that. They became the first lawmakers, judges, doctors, shrinks, the best social control in history. The first social services too. Religion thus played a very positive function in the development of civilized societies in ancient times. Religions also helped kings and cruel monarchs to rule over the people and were very powerful.
      In ancient times... Then it got out of hand.

• Don't take me wrong: this means that religion had a VERY IMPORTANT, crucial role in development of civilizations.

• That actually makes so much sense, I can't possibly deny it.

I'm stealing your idea

What Girls Said 3

• I think it was a method for "leaders" to control us normal folk.

• Things that you don't know the origin from, what it is... is God, the Devil, whatever you call it
    Things science can't prove, you know we had no science in the past like me do now.

• well i just don't believe some old guy watches over the whole damn universe

What Guys Said 11

• Try to think back on what it must have been like for the most primitive human societies.. Diseases would sweep through and drought/flooding/hurricanes would strike and for them it would seem totally random and without reason at all. They would do all they could to prevent what seemed to them as supernatural occurances because they had no natural explanations for them. They would try everything from sacrificing grain and animals to whatever controlled these 'supernatural' events to bending knee and hoping really hard that it wouldn't happen. These primitive beliefs grew into narratives through confirmation bias for example "Hey this year we all prayed really hard or sacrificed enough goats and we DIDN'T have a drought therefore it must've done something." The earliest religions were mostly polytheistic. They had invented deities in charge of all these events. For instance Zeus made his appearance during thunderstorms and Poseidon sunk ships if humanity was sinful enough. As religions became more powerful and began to infiltrate governments and empires they needed to give people a REASON to worship god (s). Hey Hades rules the underworld and if you don't live a righteous life and worship OUR gods you'll go there instead of the beauty and splendor of the Elysium Fields. Religions today exercise the same formulas as the ancient ones did but vastly simplify the idea by just having to know a single God instead of dozens. All the most successful religions have something known as a 'trickster God' or figure who tempts and manipulates behind the scenes to give a reason to worship a particular belief system. If you could live a great life without the complications of a religion then what would be the point right? 😜

Also humans have a compulsion when there isn't a natural explanation for something we turn to a supernatural one. "Wow that door just opened up seemingly by itself so it MUST be a ghost" as if there no other possible explanation. I'm firmly and empathically against this kind of thinking of pretending knowledge where there's none yet to be had. People usually say the only evil is ignorance and the only good is knowledge but in my opinion it's the ILLUSION of knowledge that we should fear the most. "hey that woman is a witch trust me! If she floats in water she's a witch and if she sinks she isn't! All witches must be killed!" That alone led to the murder of thousands of women throughout history over something that has no proof of existing to begin with..

• Spiritual beliefs systems have been with humanity since the dawn of humans, at first it was used to explain away things were not understand and to help over come the fear of the things that stalked early humans.

As the human race evolved and started the farm and live in a permanent place, and not follow migrating animals. Spiritual belief systems, became religions than came organized religion. .

There is a big difference between being spiritual and having a belief in a creator, and religion that tells you what you are suppose to believe and how you are to worship.

Than there is organized religion that about controlling the masses, it is and was used to untie the people of a country and control them.

• My theory is that people were taking psychedelic drugs (maybe unintentionally) and started having epiphanies and theories of how the universe was created, and it just kind of escalated from there.

• Everyone gets this feeling of connection when you take psychedelics and some claim to see god and other unworldly beings, so it's possible.

• @mermaidbynight I don't fully believe it either because there isn't really any way to know how religion came to be for sure but it seems the most likely, to me.

• That would be one happy ass way though. You're all high and having one of those "deep thinking" moments.

• Religion is basically a monopoly on God: you better join us cause God chose us and if you don't, you don't get this amazing shit.

• I don't believe in any religion. I think it was all made up so people wouldn't fear dying so much.

• Your reasoning makes sense.
    Also people have always searched for explanations as they couldn't understand the world.

• thank you president obama

• religion was created as a tool to control the weak.
    as a species we hunt for answers... why are we here? it's easier for many to think a chap on a cloud made everything we see... than to accept that nobody will ever know.

people flock to said religions in crisis as a guaranteed shoulder to cry on.

now that's all well and good, but when a story makes you kill and hurt others simply because of what it says on a page... that's bonkers.

• Well how do you think the everything got here? Not being religious. Just asking what theory you agree with

• Evolution, duh.

• People who do research can. Exactly. Most people who side with evolution haven't though. They sau it's true because someone else claims to have evidence. Not seeing a difference really

• Say*

• Religion starts as a way to explain things which bother us. Why the seasons change, why we die, why plants grow. We can't figure these things out but they are important to us and we crave an explanation, any explanation so we make one up. It usually takes the form of a human (or anthropomorphic animal) with supernatural powers at first. As our societies become more sophisticated rulers recognize the value of shared religious belief to social cohesion and so moral rules are inserted into the religion for the better ordering of society (and the benefit of priests and kings). Eventually society becomes sophisticated enough so that the humanoid gods and their stories seem silly and we develop an abstract idea of god, god as a sort of consciousness and force with the same useful moral elements attached.

• I really don't think it's as simple as that. Although I'm not particularly religious I don't see how the universe as we know it and everything in it all came in to being by chance.

Now I don't necessarily believe in the God of the bible but the universe shows evidence for intelligent design.

And remember that not all religions believe in God, nor are some from olden days, some are fairly recent.

• And also "as religious people will only say God and leave it there and get defensive for what I'm about to say."

Don't paint everyone with the same brush!

• Have you heard of Georges LemaĆ®tre, a Belgian priest?
      He's also known as the "father of the big bang theory".
      A priest, not an Athiest!

• Georges Lemaitre? I'll have to look him up.