Do you think people like these should be allowed to have pets?

My cousin and her sister always had dogs. They like to shower the dog with attention and play with it but when the dog gets old they neglect it (ignore it, rarely bathe it) and they simply get a new one. They do feed the old dog but they don't pet it at all or pay attention to it, they just tell the dog to go away when it tries to cuddle with them while they shower the new puppy with attention. They'd had about 5 dogs and it's always the same story. I think this behavior is not okay, dogs aren't toys.
Do you think they should be allowed to own pets if they treat them like this?

Most Helpful Girl

• Absolutely NOT! That is horrible! The poor dog needs more love and attention as it ages. As its health declines there are more things you need to look out for, skin conditions become more frequent, and the poor thing is probably confused and depressed its owners don't love it as much as they used to. This is absolutely disgusting behavior. It's unfortunately common though. Personally I never get puppies. Too much work. I always get an adult dog from the shelter. I call them my "recycled pets" you can tell what their temperament and size is, what they need to work on, and what to expect. So many of these dogs have anxiety and abandonment issues for these reasons! I understand being excited over a new puppy, but it should never mean neglecting your already faithful companion! People like that should NOT be allowed to have dogs PERIOD! I mean what's going to happen when they have children? Neglect the first born once a new baby comes alone for fucks sake? Absolutely horrible. Horrible. Disgusting.

What Guys Said 3

• I could just say no and be like everyone else here,
    but I'd rather tell you, I don't give a fuck about what kind of people have pets, looking at what kind of people have kids, and I am kinda sure it might be a better idea to care for human beings first and not about dogs which are just tamed wild animals after all.

• That's kinda messed up, you're definitely right about saying dogs aren't toys. If you are going to bring one into your care, You shouldn't just stop playing with it or anything because it gets older. However, I don't think that is enough to warrant them not being allow to have dogs, sadly.

• Need online reassurance? Here it is: no.

What Girls Said 7

• I don't think so, no. I've had over 16 dogs in my lifetime, and I know for sure that I've never ignored an older dog. They need just as much attention as the puppies sometimes <3 If you're going to neglect a dog whilst it watches you shower love on the other one, then you don't deserve to have it.

• Of course it's not ok, just because the dog gets older it doesn't mean it can't feel neglected. Especially when they clearly shower the other dog with attention. It's tricky since they still feed the dog and don't seem to be physically abusing it, but emotional abuse is still bad :/ dogs need attention and affection, otherwise they can become depressed. I don't really think it's something they can be punished for per se, but I do think they should take a hard look in the mirror and ask themselves why they think it's ok to stop giving a dog the affection it needs.

• No, it's really messed up.

So when they get old they don't mind if people practically throw them away like trash?

• Oh my god.. this is so horrible. That poor dog.. they should not be allowed to have pets. I love dogs and horses.. I can never see this happening to them...

• No but many people do so you report them and have the dogs removed

• That's terrible :( Dogs give a lifetime of love...

• No, it's sad😐