Any Questions About Christianity?

I have a bachelor's degree in Biblical Studies. If anyone has any questions or wants clarification on things, I would like to help. If you don't care about Christianity and just want to make fun of it, please comment elsewhere. Hate will not be tolerated here. This is for people curious or who just enjoy discussions about religions.

A good movie about the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50IiF1rTTGQ
Good book about a logical case for Jesus Christ:
www.immlutheran.org/.../...icipant%27s%20guide.pdf

Most Helpful Guy

• First off my questions are with total respect ok , do u guys belive in jesus as a god or what?

• Yes I do. This pdf can help you determine that for yourself :)

www.casinopc.org.au/.../...ricity%20of%20Jesus.pdf

• Ouch that hurt me lol BUT THANK YOUUUU 😀😀😀

• Hahaha , you're welcome! :D

Most Helpful Girl

• I am going on a mission trip to New York City and I haven't read the entire bible yet, I am not sure what all I will need to know biblically. What do you think will be some important things to understand before I leave?

• The most important thing about Christianity is who you believe Jesus is; do a study on character of God. Also, realize that your words can never change someone's heart, only the Holy Spirit working in them can, so don't feel frustrated! Don't debate and argue with people who don't believe. Tell them the truth, and if they reject it, leave them alone and pray for them. Also, realize God loves the whole world and calls us to do the same. Show people patient love and let them know that you truly care about them. :D

• I couldn't agree with you more!! Most people are looking for love in all the wrong places, they don't understand that Gods love is all that we need, and it is unfailing. While I was praying, I realized God was calling me to travel and help lead others to him, and share the gospel where it is needed... so I really think it's great that you are using your degree and helping others, that's seriously so awesome! So keep it up, and I'm sure the lord has great things ahead for you!! It's always nice to know there are other dedicated Christians that want to help lead others to God and make a change..😊

• Yes! Tell me how your trip goes! :D

What Guys Said 6

• I love talking about religion. I'm a Shinto/Buddhist. Most major religions share a common tale of creationism. I wonder if there's a reason for that; there's slight differences between them, such as who did what, but basically they're the same. What's your opinion on that?

• That it actually happened ha ha. Like in the Enuma Elish, every culture has tried to make sense of the Creation story.

• Thank you for your time and effort to inform us about Christianity :) , actually I do have 4 questions for you and you can take your time answering them:

1. Can you point out a single CLEAR statement in the bible where Jesus HIMSELF says "I'm God" or "worship me" ?

2. This one is actually about crucifixion and resurrection: According to Paul in (1 Corinthians 15:42-44) and according to Jesus in ( Luke 20: 27-36), resurrected bodies are spiritualized, so if Jesus was really crucified and dead on the cross, his resurrected body must be spiritualized, but actually if you read the gospel of Luke 24, we will see something else, when the disciples met in the upper room 3 days after the alleged crucifixion, according to ( Luke 24:36 ) Jesus came to them and said "shalom" which means "peace" in Hebrow, the next verse ( Luke 24:37) shows that the disciples were terrified and affrighted because they thought he is a sprint, of course he didn't look like a spirit but they thought that because they heard from the hearsay about the alleged crucifixion, they heard fro the hearsay that Jesus was crucified and dead. (Mark 14:50) tells us about the disciples "all of them forsook him a fled", and if you continue reading in ( Luke 24: 39-40), Jesus was clarifying their doubt, he said "behold my hands and feet, it's I myself, handle me and see for a spirit has no flesh and bone" ... And in (Luke 24: 41-42) it shows that the disciples were happy and he even asked them for food and they gave him a piece of broiled fish and honeycomb, and then he ate that food. So why would he ask them to "behold his hands and feet" and ask them to give him food to eat? To show them that he is a spirit? Or to show them that it's his physical body and he weren't crucified so he didn't die and he is not a spirit so there's no need for them to be terrified?

3. When the Christians say that the bible is the word of God, to which bible they are referring exactly? The Protestant version which has 66 books? Or the catholic version which has 73 books ( meaning 7 more books than the Protestant version which the Protestants called "apocrypha" ) ? Or the Amharic orthodox version which has 81 books? Or the one that has 87 books (I forgot to which church it belongs)?

• 4. Are nowadays Christians supposed to follow and practice the old Laws and Commandments in the Old Testament? You know Laws like: Adultery punishment ( Leviticus 20:10 & Deuteronomy 22:22 ), homosexuality punishment ( Leviticus 20:13), Apostasy punishment (Deuteronomy 13:6-9), Pork prohibition (Leviticus 11:7-8 & Deuteronomy 14:8), The circumcision (Genesis 17:10-12), wine prohibition ( Proverbs 20:1 & Ephesians 5:18) and many other laws and commandment, I'm just giving a few examples.

Thank you :)

• Or you can listen to it.

New Testament: www.youtube.com/watch

Part of the Old Testament: www.youtube.com/watch

• God does reveal the truth to me via the study of science and his divine inspiration in us to learn the nature of the universe that he created. God didn't write the Bible, but he made the universe. The "Word of God" isn't literary, but is the universe around us.

• Are Christians allowed to marry other religions? e. g. Muslims are allowed to marry jews and christians (only men)

• The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 6:14 "Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?"

• Is god character supposed to male or female? The one that isn't Jesus I mean. The celestial that created the earth in 7 days or whatever

• Male. In the Bible, it always uses male pronouns to describe God.

• Ahhhh, now I see where you are coming from. Well if you refuse to believe the earth is only a few thousand years old, you can take the approach some Christians do. In the Bible, it says to God a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years are like a day. Some Christians believe the earth wasn't created in 6 literal days based on that verse.

The bible has actually been archeologically and historically proven. There are texts from very close to the original time period. Especially for the New Testament. http://irr.org/todays-bible-real-bible

The Pope is not a religious authority. In fact, he has been saying some pretty bizarre things lately. Catholics are not the same as Protestants.

Also, Christianity is the only "religion" where the person as to do absolutely nothing to be saved other than realize he's disobeyed God, making him God's enemy, and by surrendering to God. That's it. You can't earn salvation. In every other major religion, your salvation is based on what you do.

• In Islam, they must die for their god in order to insure salvation. In Christianity, our God died for us. Took the punishment on Himself and made us perfect. We do nothing but follow Him. That's it. Surrender to His loving will and follow Him. Works don't give one salvation, being good doesn't get one to heaven, only Jesus' sacrifice does. That's it.

• Who are the parents of the first woman after Eve?

• Adam and Eve were the parents of the first woman after Eve.

• 1. What college and is it accredited for science?
      2. What peer-reviewed refereed paper is your professor referencing this "proof"?

• The college I went to is personal information and I will not share that over the internet. It is obvious you really didn't read my links either. I'm not wasting my time on debating Young Earth Creationism which isn't even necessarily to be a Christian, since there are many Old Earth Creationists and there are even Christians who believe God used evolution to create the world. These are irrelevant to Christianity. Also, you are better off debating a scientist. I have a degree in Biblical studies... not science. I also haven't studied this information since I stopped believing in evolution and saw there was more proof in my eyes for creation, which is over five years ago. Now if you have a question about Christianity, I'd be happy to answer. Your belief about Creation has nothing to do with Christianity.

• Why is the Bible overflowing with contradictions?

• Point out what you view as contradictions. We learned about this in college, one must look at the context, style of writing and original Greek/Hebrew. The English language doesn't do the original text much justice.

What Girls Said 4

• How does one determine which aspects of the Bible should be taken literally and which should only be taken as metaphor?

• One has to look at cultural and stylistic writings of that time. For example, in the Songs of Solomon, the author says "Your teeth are like a flock of sheep" that is obviously not literal. What really has helped me was to look at the passage in context, in the original language, and to read up on the culture of that time period.

• But don't you see a problem with the fact that so many people have interpreted the Bible differently? I mean, there are so many different denominations of Christianity, that interpret the Bible in different ways, and all believe that they've "got it right". How is a lay person supposed to know which interpretation is correct? And if you're illiterate, then it's even worse because you just have to believe what other people tell you, since you're unable to look it up yourself.

• They do interpret it differently, there are only a few basics that are necessary though. The others are important, but are more dogma than doctrine.

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
      creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
      who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
      and born of the virgin Mary.
      He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
      was crucified, died, and was buried;
      he descended to hell.
      The third day he rose again from the dead.
      He ascended to heaven
      and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
      From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
      the holy catholic* church,
      the communion of saints,
      the forgiveness of sins,
      the resurrection of the body,
      and the life everlasting. Amen.

*the original meaning of this word is derived via Late Latin catholicus, from the Greek adjective καθολικός (katholikos), meaning "universal."

• How did Christians get the idea to burn "witches" back in the middle ages lol?

• Those weren't true Christians. The Bible actually says the greatest commandments are to 1. Love God 2. Love others. The problem with the Middle Ages is that most were illiterate and couldn't even read the Bible (especially because it was in Latin). The Catholic Church at that time was very corrupt and money-hungry. They believed that it was best to kill those who thought differently (think Bloody Mary). The Bible actually says, "But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. (Matthew 5:44). In the Old Covenant given to the Jews, it was all about the Law and purging sin from among the people. After Jesus came, He gave a New Covenant which is based on Grace.

• I did read the link, I just didn't think it was convincing.

• The ones about the character of God.

• Is it true that Christians aren't suppose to eat anything with a split hoof? My mom always tells me this but then some people say it's not.

• This was true in Judaism. No food is prohibited under the New Covenant, all is made clean

Acts 10:9-15, "9 The next day as Cornelius’s messengers were nearing the town, Peter went up on the flat roof to pray. It was about noon, 10 and he was hungry. But while a meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw the sky open, and something like a large sheet was let down by its four corners. 12 In the sheet were all sorts of animals, reptiles, and birds. 13 Then a voice said to him, “Get up, Peter; kill and eat them.”

14 “No, Lord,” Peter declared. “I have never eaten anything that our Jewish laws have declared impure and unclean.”

15 But the voice spoke again: “Do not call something unclean if God has made it clean.”

• Oh I knew it was something like that. Thanks 😊

• You're welcome :)

• I dont know if this goes for christianity since im not religous.. But i heard being gay is a sin? Why? Or how? If they were born that way?

• God loves gay people with an everlasting love. He loves them so much He died for them. However homosexuality is not God's plan for mankind. Marriage was created as a symbol of God's relationship with us. He calls us "His bride" and God is always expressed as a male entity. He also created man and woman (Adam and Eve). Homosexuality is considered a sin because it distorts the image of God. It's really that simple--it's just not God's plan.

However, homosexuality is no different than lying nor wanting something that isn't yours. Many Christians act like it is the worst sin ever, when in fact, it is equal to all the others.

The Bible says, "Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.