What are your thoughts on Ashley Madison being hacked?

Ashley Madison wasn't hacked because it supports cheating, but because it charges an extra fee to users to have all their information wiped clean upon leaving the site. The hackers felt this was a type of extortion and a lie because they can't erase everything (i. e. bank statement info). If Ashley Madison doesn't shut down the hackers threatened to release all the users public information. So far they have released 2,500 of the members information out of 33 million. I have zero tolerance for cheaters but I also don't support hacking in certain situations (i. e. the release of personal information).

Sorurce: http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/20/technology/ashley-madison-hack/

• I hate cheaters so this is karma coming back in full force
  • I hate cheaters but this is a bit extreme and wrong
  • Doesn't matter what I feel hacking is wrong
  • Leave the cheaters alone and find these hackers
  • Both are equally wrong and should be punished
  • Other (explain)

Most Helpful Girl

• I made a post about this yesterday, and I think it would do more harm than good, yes it's terrible that there's sites like these that advertise and promote cheating, however the cheaters are dumb to put their real information, as their lives can actually be ruined if their information is leaked. In this case the hacking will only ruin lives and careers

• I just went and looked at your post. I wasn't aware of all the other sites they own. I do hope EM is shut down. Human trafficking is terrible. However, you do have a point about people who are in abusive relationships going on this site looking for some type of support.

What Guys Said 8

• well legally the hackers are in the wrong, Ashley Madison is a website operating on legal terms, although morally its obviously fucked up but they're not breaking any federal or state laws.

• That is true. They haven't broken any laws and if the hackers are caught they will be charged.

• Those stupid fucks deserve to have their information released. How retarded do you have to be to not only cheat on your SO, but PAY money to do it and GIVE your easily traceable information to a fucking website?

Those 33,000,000 people are nothing but pieces of shit who are wasting our oxygen.

• People who cheat deserve to be outed and punished and I don't care how extreme it is. For far too long people have been able to do this and then turn around and hide behind the legal system for protection.

• Great! Expose them all

• that web site was a scam, there were virtually no women.

• Lol. I did hear that like 75 to 90% of the site was male users.

• and most of those female profiles were created by the company. the adds were very manipulative to make people pay from what I read

• It all depends on where you get your numbers from unless you did the calculations yourself you're going off second to third hand information. I don't care enough to go analyze the released data. Also all dating sites have fake robot profiles. Ashley Madison was just caught to have the most.

Here's one woman who says she went and did the calculations: gizmodo.com/almost-none-of-the-women-in-the-ashley-madison-database-1725558944
      Here's another that says 1% were actual women (based on checked messages): www.theregister.co.uk/.../

• Are you a member of of ashley maddison by any chance.

• No. I wrote I have zero tolerance for cheaters so it would be hypocritical of me to write that and laugh at the situation if I was on there.

• I'm more concerned with the OPM hack myself. But yeah Ashley Madison is going to wreck a lot of relationships.

• OPM is tragic but AM is pretty entertaining. Like I wrote I'm not a fan of hacking and the release of personal information to the public. However, I can't feel sorry for someone who freely cheats on their SO or someone who engages in being the mistress or whatever the male equivalent is called.

• They did it because they wanted to. Releasing members' information is kind of the opposite of the hackers' stated objection.

• I think they just don't agree with the morals of the company, and wanted a challenge since the CEO boost about the security of the site. Also by releasing the information they've gathered including the information from "deleted" users will prove the extra fee was a lie to get more money.

• I understand but protesting what they consider unethical corporate behavior by committing computer fraud and massive identity theft isn't the way to go.

What Girls Said 2

• It's not ok to hack, but it's not ok to cheat either. What goes around comes around, and if people are not happy in their marriages they need to just get a divorce.

• So true. If you aren't happy then either leave or try to work it out.

• that's kinda ironic