What's with the americans saying alcohol is the worst drug?

I just can't get it. Alcohol is harmful, yes but when it comes to comparing alcohol with dirty synthetic street drugs, it is stupid to think of alcohol worse than them. I mean I've done an illegal drug which is 100 times more harmful than alcohol. So It is very stupid to see alcohol as one of the worst drugs. I don't understand you americans. I am from Turkey and 20 year old men are having heart attacks and die from drugs. The ones that don't overdose live in a fucked up way, they are sick. Alcohol is nothing like that. It is very stupid to see alcohol as one of the worst drug. Synthetic street drugs fuck you up very bad. Alcohol is nothing compared to those drugs.

Most Helpful Girl

• they don't want to upset the druglords

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a way to point out the hypocrisy of the reasons politicians give to keep drugs illegal. Alcohol in the US has caused ''approximately 88,000 deaths per year from 2006–2010, and accounted for 1 in 10 deaths among working-age adults aged 20–64 years", yet we're told that drugs are kept illegal to protect people from their harmful effects, something they don't do about alcohol, or cigarettes. 1 out of 5 deaths in the US is caused by cigarette smoking, that's more than 480,000 people a year, yet it's legal.

What Girls Said 5

• Because of the fact it's legal for a certain age, makes it accessible which makes people abuse it easily.

• Source of an American saying this?

• I only hear druggies saying that.

• In Turkey, synthetic weed is the most common illegal drug and the ones who use it are fucked up. And those people are the kind who have nothing to lose in life. Their bodies are fucked up. They dont give a damn about how harmful the drug is.

• Have you ever seen an alcoholic? It's pathetic... They have no life...

• I see 20 year old men are having heart attacks and die from drugs in my country. Alcohol is nothing like that. I've also used synthetic illegal drug. Alcohol is 100 times less harmful, trust me.

• 100 times more difficult

• Alcohol is 100 times more safe and 100 times less harmful

• i agree with you.

What Guys Said 5

• Well here at least, we have faaaaar more people who drink vs. do drugs. so while it is not as harmful on an individual bases, on a societal level, it is much mush more harmful. I think that is your confusion when have a lot against drinking.

As a side note, people who do drugs tend to stick together in there own little groups, so people likely don't see it as much, verses a population of over 2/3 who drink regularly and publically...

• I think it is the amount of alcohol related deaths and alcohol related health problems - It is probably thousands of times drug problems - Cigarettes are worst drug

• It is because they are used widely, unlike illegal stuffs.

• Alcohol is addicting and addicts can acquire it legally. It's not the 'worst drug in the world', it's just one of the worst legal drugs in the world.

• Tabaco is then alcohol then cocaine heroine and all the others last is even coffe kills 8.200 people a year

• The fuck did you get this from?
    Oh, Turkey. Nevermind.