Why do Meat eaters always compare vegan activists to religious extremists?

and say that vegans claiming the high ground is like religous people claiming the moral high ground on things like gay marriage?

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmmm I eat eggs and milk products but I don't eat animal flesh. And, I find it saddening how many people think vegans are pushy maniac animal worshipers. One day I would like to either 1) go vegan or 2) raise my own meat and have my own chickens (milk isn't a necessity) so... as soon as I take the step from vegetarian to vegan, I'll become a self righteous animal right's zealot?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I could go into biology as did @hellionthesage already, but I'm not an expert in this field, so I'm gonna put it into very simple words. See, even if I grant you that eating animals or their byproducts is ethically wrong (or at least questionable), believe it or not: I can live very well with that. I can live with that without feeling bad in the slightest. Why? Because I do what I believe lies in my power to do.
    Let me give you an analogy: climate change. Now, I come from Switzerland, where people don't fight about silly questions such as "is climate change real?" as they do in America. As an educated person I know about the dangers of climate change and I try to act against it in my daily actions. However, my mom has a work colleague who takes this to a whole different level. This woman set it in her mind that she wants to live as impact-free as possible. She doesn't own a car, she only uses public transportation (which is one of the best/densest in the world in my country). She never goes on vacation, although she'd have the money for it. She doesn't turn on the heating in the winter. She never takes a bath, she only takes quick shower and only with cold water. etc. etc. Now, I admire this woman very much. I really do. I am truly impressed by people who can be so disciplined with themselves - and planet earth will certainly thank them. However, I just can't do it. I want to live cautiously and I do care deeply about mother nature and our environment but I don't just want to exist. I want to live. I want to have some fun, you know what I mean? This is why I try to find a perfect balance in everything I do: can I enjoy my life and still do the right thing more or less? As for climate change, there are several things I don't do. For example I don't own a car. I also don't have anyone who gives me rides. If my destination is in another city, I always take the train. If it's within my city, I ride my bike (my best friend so to speak, I use it daily). The majority of the food I eat is organic. I try to eat seasonal. I try to safe water and energy etc.. However, I do love travelling. It's one my greatest passions. This is why I do fly quite a lot (1-2 times a year). I know it's a bad thing to do, but it's an important factor of what makes my life worth living. It makes me happy. That's why I do it. With eating animals or their byproducts it works very similarly for me. I do watch out quite a lot what I eat. As I already said, I mostly eat organic food,

• which is very popular and thus easy to get in Switzerland anyway. As for meat, I watch out to strictly and exclusively buy Swiss meat. The reason for this is because animal protection laws in Switzerland belong to the strictest in the world. We don't have any cows stuck in 6ft times 3 ft cages. We don't have those disgusting chicken farms where chicken are standing on top of each other, totally stressed out. All our animals are required to have space outside to run around. Now, I could eat pork from Germany or chicken from Hungary, which would be much cheaper. But I don't, because I care about our animals. I love fish, yet I try not to eat too much of it. There are other examples I could give you but I think you see my point: eating a bit of meat and especially eating milk-products is part of my life quality. Being Swiss, I could never live without cheese. I know it would be more ethical to avoid it but if I did, I wouldn't want to live anymore. That's why I'm trying to find a balance.

• As a person who doesn't eat meat because of animal treatment, I applaud you for going the extra mile to eat meats that are more humanely raised and processed. A lot of people don't understand that if you simply stopped buying a product the company will have to change to please the consumer. Thank you for taking the steps to support more ethical farming techniques.

• Thank you :-). And yes, of course I understand that and I don't understand how many people can't understand it. I think my country Switzerland is actually a good example for the fact that demand regulates the supplies. Going the extra mile for organic food and fair farming (not just for meat, also for vegetables) is pretty popular here in general. And that's exactly why we can buy a lot organic and also fair trade products in literally every supermarket. We have two large supermarket chains in Switzerland and in both of them 30-50% of the meat section consists of organic meat (where animals had a happy life). The stores do this because they know the people want it. And I think it also has to do with priorities. Meat in the US is way too cheap. When I lived in America, I couldn't believe that I pay more for fresh fruits than a steak sometimes. I love meat but I believe it should have its price tag. People should value it more than they do, because in the end, an animal died for you.

What Girls Said 3

• Doesn't make sense to me. Veganism is based on actual facts and religious extremists do what they do out of blind faith alone.

• Say it loud sister :D

• Lol wtf? I'm an omnivore and I've never done that

• i never do ,

What Guys Said 6

• Well, why do vegans believe themselves to be morally superior just because they don't eat animal/animal byproducts? We are designed to eat meat, we know we are based upon the simple fact that we can digests it, it does not simply pass through our system like grass would. We know that we are designed to eat meat because of the shape of our teeth which are as adept at shredding muscle tissue as animal fibers. We know it was when we became scavengeres and then hunters that our overall brain development increased (evolutionarily speaking) allowing us to acquire a high energy source in the form of animal fat in order to fuel our ever increasingly large brains. There are many reasons why we eat meat, morality is not one of them. Morality is a human social construct, to say its wrong for humans to eat meat is to say its wrong to eat plants, for lions and wolfs to eat meat. Why would plants be an exception? Is it because they are not sapient? They do respond to damage of there cells, and attempt to stop further damage, the function of pain is to do just that so one could argue they do have something analogues to pain. Would that not mean eating plants is wrong and immoral? That is why it seems religious in nature. It is irrational and not based upon anything other then ones own personal beliefs, not facts. Then to make matters worse, many become self righteous and acquire a sense of superiority and try to force others to there way of doing things wich itself is unfounded. So that is why it is viewed in a nearly religious context.

• "We are designed to eat meat, we know we are based upon the simple fact that we can digests it"
      "We know that we are designed to eat meat because of the shape of our teeth which are as adept at shredding muscle tissue as animal fibers."
      If you tried eating meat raw your teeth would get sore and you would suffer bouts of food poisoning. The only reason we can eat it with such ease is because it's cooked (and herbivores have no problem eating cooked meat). If you ate meat the way a wild animal did you'd probably die within a few weeks of food poisoning. Well, that assuming you don't choke to death first because they also swallow meat whole. Lions and wolves are carnivores, they need meat to survive so that's a false analogy. Morality is not a societal construct because it is well-documented in non-human animals and acts of morality have extended beyond the species "barrier". It is objectively defined as what causes harm vs what alleviates it.

• "we have plenty of reason to eat meat, because we are omnivores there is no reason to try and change it" As I explained before, so long as there is enough plants to sustain them, omnivores will not go out of their way to consume meat so whether you're an omnivores or a herbivore, the only reason you have to eat meat is palate pleasure. "You are dogmatic and are willing to lie to get what you want. It will not work" So long as there is injustice in the world, there will be people like me who will fight against it and there will be people like you who hold to the dogmatic belief that something that's not even a necessity could justify an atrocity and will lie and distort facts to make it seem like it's somehow justified. "The fact is I answered your initial question and you proved my point," All you've proven is that you are the one who holds to unwavering beliefs in the face of all the evidence availiable. It goes without saying that carnism holds the same merit as creationism.

• "because as nature has shown there is no right or wrong there just is." There is suffering, there is pain and there is agony and by that logic there would be no way to condemn things like slavery and genocide.

• I always view these things and think is there no middle ground with both sides - If you start by looking for an argument you will find an argument. I know some vegans and they are fine

• What high grounds are vegans claiming?

I eat the flesh of my enemies to gain their power.

• Vegans are nuts

• Why because we don't have our head stuck so far up our own ass that we would (falsely) believe that satisfying our taste buds could ever justify taking the life of another sentient animal. Yeah, right -_-

• Eat a dick.

• "Eat a dick." Wow, great comeback -_-

• How do you know someone is vegan? They will tell you.

• How do you know someone's a meat eater? They'll have a 35% higher chance of getting cancer in their lifetime than a vegan ;).

• Vegans are irrational. Everyone except maybe the boy in a bubble kills and eats small animals (dust mites for example) every day. Why is it less moral to kill an animal the bigger it is?

• Being vegan is about doing the best you can. It isn't about being perfect, because even we know that causing harm in some way is inevitable. Your logic doesn't make sense, it's like saying because some people litter, it's impossible to have a perfect, litter-free world, so we might as well just all litter and throw our garbage all over the place. It doesn't make sense. It's not an all or nothing situation, it's just doing your best and helping out the planet, the animals, and the environment.

• @Kiwedin

If that were true then you would eat meat which didn't do any harm, wild game harvested to control animal populations for their own good for example but no vegan I ever encountered would do any such thing.
      Your litter simile make several unwarranted assumptions and misstates my position. It is very 'religious' in that respect. It assumes for example eating meat, like littering, is always wrong. You 'prove' your case by assuming it's premise.
      I am saying accepting that you can not live without making some garbage means using things like packaging for optimum efficiency. A vegan is like refusing to use any packaging as a matter of dogma because it entails the creation of some garbage.