Should I be ashamed of being a white, heterosexual, cis gender male?

Apparently I am the oppressor of the world... naturally.

Most Helpful Girl

• No not at all, but you should realize that you get certain privileges because of that. That's what people hate, when privileged people refuse to realize they're privileged. It's nothing to be ashamed of at all no, but you can use your privilege to help those who aren't as fortunate.

• What privileges?

• @dudeman

Sorry to butt in on your discussion, but dudeman, you stated that those studies are flawed. Can you please explain why they are so, because many sociologists have done the same study throughout different locations and got the same result. There were even studies that showed that an employer is more likely to hire a white guy with a felony (fresh out of prison) over a black guy without a criminal record. Not to mention many sociologist will tell you that white privilege does indeed exist.

You can PM your response, because I don't want LightsOff to keep receiving notifications.

As for the Asian Americans thing, they are doing better financially because they're kicking all the other ethnicities ass in education attainment. 50% of Asian Americans have at least a Bachelor degree (mostly in math and science which usually are high paying fields) which put them at an advantage above everyone in terms of income. However selective bias also play a role in that educational stat.

• They change names to black names. That alone is biased.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 4

• No one said you are the 'oppressor'. I don't like this word, but you do have certain 'privileges' because you are a white heterosexual cis-gender male. There's no denying it, and there is proof of it. Not going to bother explaining them to you, because there's a 90% chance you won't listen and that you're just asking this to get some people worked up.

• Women also have privileges as well.

• But, that doesn't matter, right? It's only women who are victims, wahhhh. You bathe in male tears, amirite?

• I drink male tears every morning. Gets me going for the day.

• No, you shouldn't. Your skin colour, sexuality and gender is never something to be ashamed of.

• NO! Its 2015, everyone should be treated equally

• not at all.

What Guys Said 7

• No you should not. Every race/ethnicity/gender/religion has done horrible things to others in the past, but no one should feel guilty for that unless they played a role in it or continue to play a role in it. I'm a male and according to history my sex/gender is responsible for 99.9% of wars, majority of rapes, majority of killings and majority of practically every bad thing on this planet. But do I feel guilty for being a guy? No!. Because I had nothing to do with that nor do I partake in any of those immoral behaviours.

The past is called the past, because we pasted it by a long time ago. Even if we wanted to make a U-turn to correct past mistakes we can't do so. All we can do is just learn from them and try not to do those things in the present/future. But feeling guilty 24/7 isn't going to change shit about the past.

• Unless you're planning a mass shooting somewhere, the whole race thing isn't about you. Just grab some pop corn, sit back and try not to put your foot in your mouth.

Being anti white people bullshit is not the same as being anti white people.

• No, you should own it. They only hate us 'cause they ain't us.

images2.wikia.nocookie.net/.../...cooter_large.jpg

• As a white hetero cis my opinion automatically has no value, so sorry can't help you man.

HAHAHAHA it's so stupid right?

White - you didn't choose it
    hetero - you didn't choose it
    cis gendered - a label that also you have no choice over.

Be proud dude. Did you know one of the first people to abolish slavery was a white hetero male? If you have to assume responsibility for the actions of your forbears, then go ahead - celebrate being a liberator of slaves.

• You shouldn't feel ashamed, just because you are the oppressor doesn't necessarily mean that you actively go out looking to oppress people. You can use your privilege for the better though

• these questions are getting so so stupid. Come on gag... you can do better than this...

• For what possible reason should you be ashamed to be who you art while everyone else gets to be who they are with no shame? None.