Should we remove Religion from society?

I'm from the UK, and I think it's about time we think about removing religion, as a whole, from society and creating a 100% non-religious State.

Fact is religion has caused wars, and religion will continue to cause wars.

What do you think... would this be good for society?

If I was Prime Minister in the UK, I would definitely consider it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Removing religion from society won't remove it from people's minds and hearts. People who are religious are not going to give up their religion just because the government tries to "ban" it. Therefore, there will still be disagreements among religious people and non-religious people and I seriously doubt anything will actually change.

• "Removing religion from society won't remove it from people's minds and hearts" just like banning booze didn't stop people from creating illegal versions of it and thinking "Damn I'd do with a pint right now!" - but come on, lets not compare them both. Of course people are going to think about it... but those who really do wish to show it will be able to leave the country and find somewhere else.

France, in fact, have been thinking of removing religion completely too... the only way they're being stopped is because of bigoted Liberals.

• And also, by your logic, if someone doesn't like religion, they are free to move to a more non-religious country as well.

• I can see the QA isn't even thinking rationally about his proposed approach to this. He's deeming bigger government as a solution to an internal concept. He wants the government to infringe on free will and to dictate the values and beliefs of it's civilisation. Exactly the same thing that North Korea, China, the Soviet Union etc did as atheist states yet... the end result is it doesn't work. Especially in light of the fact that we know that belief in God is innate from birth. So one has to also infringe on the human person (which of course you can do if you remove the concept of equal human dignity as irrational atheism does)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm British and I know for a fact that this would be devastating. To sume it up in only one word. it'd have to be "Anarchy"

If by "without religion" you mean by definition there is no God than such society would devoid into chaos as we have the 20th century examples of the most brutal deaths in all of history to have happened without religion. The 20th century which moved forward many sexular atheistic notions has produced the most brutal societies to have ever been witnessed with more deaths than thousands of years of religion as the majority. The atheist party has managed this as a minority over a much shorter period of time. The soviet union, or north korea, communist poland are a testament to the most modern examples of societies that were devoid of religion and to some extent france is turning into it today.

Without God, people tend to worship materialism. The very same thing that caused the economic crisis with greedy bankers not understanding the virtue of being equal minded.

Without religion, we'd also be devoid of a bases of morality. So we'd descend into a society that has no basis for right and wrong, someones choice to work towards one belief about the value of life is nothibng but a subjective opinion. New atheism generally pins it's moral values on Christian ethics. If that didn't exist, they'd follow the past examples of atheist societies (which in all cases have been the shortest lasting of any societies in history).

I don't see why anyone would think we'd need to be considerate of others without religion. Essentially we'd be following a survival of the fittest type of formula, inequality would become even more mainstream than it is today. As Dawkins puts it " you're nothing more than a mindless collection of molecules in motion, dancing to the tune of your DNA" (garden of eden). Or the Noble Lauriette Francis Crik, "You, your joys and your sorrows, your sense of personal identity and free will are in fact no more than a vast assembly of mechanistic nerve cells and their associated molecules". I. e we are no more than DNA with no inherent value beyond subjectivities that can quite easily change.

In and atheistic society, we'd have no rational basis for disagreeing with Eugenics or abortion. Human modification will at some point likely kill us off, human diversity benefits from the diversity of the gene pool which...

• under the eugenics formula that a lot of new atheists today strive for would mean many genes would ultimately die off that are considered undesirable by society standards. Races, hair colours, skin colours etc would direct towards one goal and we'd be heavily vulnerable to diseases... unfortunately as a result and something we've known for a long time in biology would be detrimental to masses of people. Making the Bubonic plague that killed of 1/3rd of Europeans equivelent worse by ten fold. it wouldlook like nothing in comparison to a civilisation with mass bread selective traits

Ultimately it would be a disaster... not to mention i think more adolescent and uncritical, atheism doesn't foster a critical mind outside a reductionist approach to knowledge... which is why it's very attractive to the 15 to 18 year old age groups of which it attracts the majority of it's members.

Ultimately it would be a disaster... not to mention i think more adolescent and uncritical

• "don't drag "atheists" into this"

feel free to look up the league of militant atheists that the soviet office was required to join

• on a side note, i don't support the ducks view and i wouldn't classify it as Christian but penn jilette's view (i'm guessing since you can't form a rationa argument yourself and had to supply a link that you have the exact same opinion)... since that's the video you posted.

I never claimed that religion is the source of morality. atheists tend to make this statement about christian people's beliefs but they do so on empty reasoning. The Christian claim is that morality is innate, mankind was made in God's image. The funny thing is you presuppose an irrational concept with no grounding. I. e that morality is above God... on what basis and why is that an objective fact.

Sure you can have wishful thinking but then tht means nothing and any opinion you have is entirely subjective. Something I don't think you get

What Girls Said 16

• No.

I think people should feel free to believe in what they want to.

If we removed religion we would be discriminating against it in my opinion.

• Removing something completely from one s life is not good idea. It will give chance people to practice secretly. Which is dangerous.
    Freedom is good. But you need to make the boundaries clear.
    And people are responsible of their behaviors. Not religion itself.

• Good luck with that. :D

Any one who is religious wouldn't follow that at all. So they would put up a HUGE fight against anyone taking it away. Anyone who isn't religious wouldn't care at all. To me the only peaceful religion seems more like buddhism. :D

• Though if you took it away I think it will end up just like it kind of does in the Elder scrolls V. Where they take away talos and now their is a civil war.

• And how would you do that, by employing the thought police to spy on people? No - that is a gross misuse of power and it's just wrong, I assume you have an issue with religion because it tries to force it's views on others, well this is no different.

No - terrible idea.

• Religion causes war, race causes war, rare commodities cause war, life styles cause war, etc etc. Why judge religion so harshly? Should we remove races? Make people forfeit any wealth so everyone has the same things and nothing more or nothing less? Alter themselves to live our lifestyle choices no matter their unhappiness? Religion is fine.

• I think it would be more peaceful for everyone of religion didn't exist so there would be no conflict over your beliefs but at the same time religion can give people hope and faith and sometimes having your religion there to belive in can really help people. I'm not religious AT ALL so I really couldn't give a rats ass on what happens with religion, I just think In some cases it's helpful

• If religion were removed, conflict would still happen. Humans can fight about anything. I don't think removing religion is either realistic or justifiable. I do think states should be secular, just so that believers of all religions are equal in the eyes of their state.

• Not where I live. I don't care about what happens to Europe though. Their economies are already in the toilet and you will probably blame religion on that too.

• No we shouldn't remove religion from society, because it gives people hope and something to believe in , also people need something to beli

• Phone cut me off. People need something to believe in if religion was done away with. people would still find something else to follow,

Plus greed cause most wars not religion really, people just use that for an excuse

• Removing organized religion and people on top of it seems like a good idea, but people should be able to believe whatever the hell they want. Hate the institution, not the belief. Faith keeps people going when all else is lost.

• 1. That's impossible.

2. You say that religion causes wars... those wars are mainly based on the fact that certain groups of people don't believe the same things, correct? So wouldn't you be doing the same thing, minus the war?

• No religion promotes war.
    It is the interpreters who twist and turn the facts for their personal benefits and manipulate people.
    Hence I disagree it would be good for the society

• no and im sticking with that answer

• I think it's an excellent idea considering your reasoning, but it would be very badly received.

• Religion is beautiful.

• Yeah, tell ISIS that.

• I'm sure you read other people's comments on here. Don't you see how important religion is? Besides, ISIS is a problem that could be quickly solved if only we had better leaders.

• Sounds like a good idea. . I like it

What Guys Said 32

• if it were removed, I think things would still be fucked up. we'll never actually know until it does happen though.

• Why do you think things would remain the same?

• well maybe not remain the same, it might get ruined in OTHER ways while fixing some other issues, perhaps. im all speculation here.

• According to Charles Phillips and Alan Axelrod in their book "Encyclopedia of Wars" where they list 1763 wars, only 123 of them are what they've called "religious." That's quite a small percentage. I think, if anything, you should be concerned about the things that cause more wars than religion. Besides, most religions actually WANT peace and want to do so without fighting.
    Also, if you tried anything like that in the U. S., you'd have a REALLY tough time doing it because it'd be seen as discrimination. (which, in my opinion, it is) There were plenty of people in wars that were not religious at all. I mean, old communist and Marxist Russia and old communist China? They certainly fought a lot and had no obligations from religion. Religious people have just as much right to be religious as non-religious people have to be non-religious. If religionless-ness can't be removed from society (basically, making it illegal to have no religion), then neither should religion.

• No we should just continue to support a secular state with separation of church and state not ban religion. People can believe whatever they want just don't push it into government.

• Church/Religion and Politics are still being intertwined... Arjem Choudnary, a UK-based political activist, believes the UK should fall under Sharia Law...

• Right we have Christian groups that try to do the same shit in the U. S. but they're a minority. A very powerful minority but a minority nevertheless. Luckily the Supreme Court would probably deem any such laws unconstitutional if they did have their way.

I agree with you that religion is terrifying especially when intertwined in government but the majority of religious people don't want to force their beliefs on everyone. Sure some do and are desperately trying to but I hope they ultimately fail.

• You're mad because Islam will rule the UK very soon? Stay mad then :p

http://youtu.be/QmqrFK4-OfQ

• I highly doubt it mate, Islam increases through wahabi funding. I can see islam gaining ground through terrorism and liberalism but the more violant it gets will eventually backfire. Islam can only go so far until there is none. kinda how muslims would leave islam in huge numbers if there wasn't a fear of apostacy

• "Could become the dominant religion of the UK in the next 10 years" ... Disgusting, Churchill is rolling in his grave.

• I can feel your pain :(

• You can't legally do that... and wars have been caused over politics and economy for the last 500 years or so, not so much religion any more (excluding middle east). The Soviets tried that, if people want to worship, they will.

• Religion is distancing itself from society already.
    Removing it by force would cause bigger problems than letting it die by itself will.

• Fact is people have caused wars, people will continue to cause wars. Going off your logic we should remove all people. Same goes for any resources desired by anybody, those resources have caused wars and will continue to cause wars. We should ban all of them too.

Yeah the world would have far less wars if there were no people or resources around also, let's ban them too!

Make a cat only state, so much more peace.

• That's retarded and ironic. You can't argue against regressive, autocratic (religious) states in that case...

Nietzsche, to paraphrase, 'those who fight with monsters be wary lest they turn into monsters themselves'

• Joseph Stalin tried that. Murdered millions of us Christians.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/55892326.jpg

• Oh please... please don't think us Brits would do the same thing.

• As an American I am being persecuted for my religious beliefs, my Southern heritage, my skin color, my heteronormative sexuality, etc. It's because of internet atheists like you who think they should have the right to play God and murder anyone who disagrees with them that I decided to turn my life over to Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. You may not like it but you know he is real and you WILL bow to him one day. God bless you.

• "Religion will continue to cause wars." Lots of religions haven't caused that kind of trouble for a long time. Also, you can't change what people think. You can tell people not to worship their gods publicly, but are you seriously foolish enough to think that they will not believe in them anymore?

• U do what u wanna do with ur country I don't care but I don't agree with removing relgion from society

• And it's useless nothing will change

• Racist* ... I can't be "racist" because Islam is a faith, not a race.

Don't pull the "racist" card please.

• I am just saying coz u know people and there is racism in relgion

• First of all, it would be impossible, unless you created some kind of mind controlling machine :D. Secondly, wars would continue, and they might be even worse. Thirdly, isn't religion keeping people from going into chaos? I mean those who believe, they are trying to follow those 10 rules which seems to be targeted at controlling a person.

• Nah, I hate religion, but removing it is only going to grant it sympathy and strengthening it, they'll be like "SEE? THE BIG BAD GOVERNMENT IS OUT TO GET YOU! JESUS IS TRYING TO HELP YOU!" and we'll only see an uptick in that kind of bullshit, religious cultists won't give up that easily, probably just make them more violent.

• People won't give up their religions. They will just disobey the laws and do what they think is right. Then you will end up, by law, punishing innocent victims.

Plus, its a huge violation of human rights.

• Disagree... That would just make feel the religious people feel oppressed and just add more troubles. It should be secular state.

• If they feel oppressed they can just leave?

• Implementing rules to a school is different to implementing an anti-religion policy to a country... I don't know why people just say 'they can just leave' like it's an easy thing to do. Plus, people are resources. A country has to maintain a good workforce and discourage it from leaving.

• Religion didn't cause war, people used religion in ways to make it look like they have an excuse to go to war when they never did for political reasons.

If you remove religion, would it really make that much of a difference on the war in the world?
    If you wanna stop war then find a way to stop governments from spending billions on weapons and spend half of that on education, health and food.

• Remove it from the government, as in the separation of church and state, yes.

Otherwise, let them believe to whatever they want.

• It's basically impossible to remove religion. However, and this is what I think would be perfect, is to prohibit practicing or propagating religion anywhere outside your own home and punishing it (with a mediocre fine) and of course closing religious buildings.

Also, interesting fact: Albania prohibited all religions from about 1970 to 1990.

• Wars are always economic. Religion just convinces the peasant that it is morally just to kill the other guy. How else would you convince masses of people to march to their death so that you could expand your wealth and resources?

• Then I guess you should start working hard to become the prime minister of UK in future and then consider about this in future 😶

• Remove from government, yes. Trying to remove it from society would drive more people into it.

• They've tried that in the past and always ends up with shit hitting the fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa7nSzCiGXk

• Because there are people doing bad things in name of a religion doesn't make religion bad

• Its like to telling to live without a name, no i can't

• The Soviet Union tried to remove religion. How did that work out?

And the fact is, political ideologies have caused wars too (e. g. WWII and Vietnam). Does that mean we should ban political ideologies?

I think banning religion is no different than passing laws to make sure everyone follows religion. You seek conformity to your belief system.

• Should we? Most definitely not, I'm sorry but even Athiests have caused wars.

And how exactly would you get remove it? Don't tell me you want to recreate Albania?

• Are you fucking stupid? What about Athiest states, have they not caused war and corruption?
    Bonaparte, Stalin, Mussolini, Pol Pot, Zedong, Kim jong il etc, I mean look at Albania!

Are you trolling because I can't believe how stupid you are?

• Don't call someone "fucking stupid" if they have different opinions/views than yours... then I might give you a response.

• Ok let's say you were given a day, how would you get rid of religion?

Don't ask a stupid question and not expect to be called stupid!

• What makes it a stupid question though? ... probably the fact that you disagree with it and call anyone who thinks it a "fucking idiot" which makes you a bigot :)

I refuse to answer your questions on the grounds of your insults. Have a good day!

• All of the worst wars in history had nothing to do with religion. Ex-WW2
    And it's impossible to remove it. If you're stupud enough to believe you could, then you definitely can't run a country

• no it's no bad

• Religion is just waste of time only brings war only stops the research for a better feature

• More from Guys
    2