Which is better: two part-time jobs, or a full-time job?

Going on the job hunt (again) soon, and a thought just occured to me.

Would it be better to have two decently paying part-time jobs, or one decently paying full time job?

The answer would seem obvious, except with the two jobs you're pretty much sacrificing your free time for the opportunity to make money so you can afford to do things... with the free time you'll no longer have.

At my current full-time job (anywhere from 32 - 38 hours a week depending on the week) I make $9.63/hr which is decent... but it's only enough to pay the bills and fill the gas tank. So I wonder if it'd be better to see if I can find a better paying job (a stretch... with no experience in ANYTHING except retail) or if I should just cut back to part-time and find an equally decent paying second job.

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as you are getting your bills paid , both ARE good.

Personally I'd prefer one well paying full time job.
    But usually that happens when you are at an older age , and settled into a career.
    Someone your age it's totally fine.

What Guys Said 9

• benefits come with a full time job.

• True, but I don't need benefits at this point in my life. I'm still covered under my parents for three more years as far as like insurance. And I definitely don't need to start a 401K yet, until I figure out a more permanent situation for my life.

• oh I see, hmm in your situation then, perhaps 2 part timers would be real nice. more money and the schedule shouldn't be too hectic.

• its gonna be a lot of work though linky. be prepared :) you got this

• With a full time job you're sacrificing your free time for more money for free time anyway. That's what a job is, a bloody time suck.

If you can find a couple jobs that pay more and combined increase your hours to 40+ then do that. Someone mentioned becoming a waitress, which I almost agree with considering you yanks' tipping culture. What do you do on the side currently career goal wise? If you aren't doing much, then I'd personally recommend getting your arse in gear and starting summat, otherwise I'd scrap the whole 2 part time job plan and go straight for a $14/h+ full time job.

• I'm not doin shit career goal wise on the side, because when I had my previous GM at my current full time job I was on the track to making it a career. But then they brought in a new GM who tolerates me at best and would celebrate any and all failure from me, so I went from being on-track for a career to it just being.. a job.

• Best work on that situation, love. In the meantime keep yourself open to any and all opportunities and jump on them like a prostitute on a john. I've read you're from Michigan on another answer.. why aren't you in a factory right now? There's really no 'qualification' to factory work. Prove you're a hard worker, be confident in the interview, and apply for a line job. My brother works at a factory right now and he's raking in (with overtime) about 60k/year, and his free time isn't cut into. It's nothing but tedious work; The only skill factory work takes is the skill of keeping your sanity.

Apply everywhere; Do you plan on working on a 5 year goal? What's your education like?

• Euh... I don't know but I will chose the full time job as it has job security and perhaps I can hit with a promotion to get higher salary but the advantage in part time job is that you can earn high. price depending on how much they pay per hour...

• You don't get health insurance or benefits from a part-time job. Unless you are in perfect health and plan on never getting injured the full time job is always better.

• if they're temp jobs then two decent part time jobs. If it's a career job then of course full time.

• Definitely temp, to a point. They're basically just so I can start accumulating money in my bank account instead of living paycheck to paycheck as I've been doing.

Whatever job offers the best opportunity for growth would be the one to win out in me going full-time if offered. And I already know from 4 years experience that the pet store has piss poor opportunity for growth.

• I'd definitely go for the two temp jobs if I were you.

• One full time job.

• One full. Much easier to manage all the shenanigans.

• look around at other jobs even if you don't have experience. a decent paying full time is more likely to have bennies then a part time

• Get ONE JOB that pays what you want... PERIOD!

• ... hard to do when I need at least $10/hr to start saving a little and I only have retail experience.

• Not everybody, not in Michigan at least lol. The only people hiring here for those wages are factory jobs that I'm not even qualified for.

• Keep looking... get help preparing a nice resume... you will succeed!

What Girls Said 4

• If you can find a second job that pays tips, like waiting tables or delivering pizza, that's a good option. Those kinds of jobs don't make great only jobs since tips can make for inconsistent income, but they make excellent supplemental income.

• I think full-time job 👌

• Get one full time job, try working at a call center it pays well.

• A full time job, 2 part time jobs would get tiring after a while