Do you enjoy reading or writing poetry?

Vote and tell me why! I'll go first. I love writing and reading poetry because it's one of the few things that truly speaks to me. I really enjoy the Beat era poets such as Jack Kerouac, Carl Solomon, and my favourite poet of all time, Allen Ginsberg. If you like poetry, Who's your favourite poet?

• Yes I enjoy to read/write poetry because... my favourite poet is... My favourite genre is...
  • No I do not enjoy reading or writing poetry because...

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I happen to study English (both linguistics and literature), so of course I am also into poetry. I love poetry both in English and in my native language German (in fact, I believe German poetry to be particularly pretty since it is such an incredibly accurate language. Germany is often referred to as the "country of thinkers and poets" and when you read classical German poetry or literature, you understand why that is). Contrary to you, my favorite period is mid to late 19th and early 20th century. In English, I particularly like Edgar Allan Poe, Emily Dickinson, W. H. Auden, Walt Whitman (not all of his poems though) and everything that deals with modernism and/or existentialism. In fact, I have to admit to a major crime for an English literature student: I'm not so much into Shakespeare. I mean, his writing is fine and some of it is quite fun but I've just never been very fascinated by him. I'm more into Romanticism and Modernism (which is funny, because those two periods are actually quite different from one another). In German, I especially like Joseph von Eichendorff, Christian Morgenstern, Wilhelm Busch, Erich K√§stner, Gerhart Hauptmann and of course, the old and great giant of German poetry, Goethe.
    As for writing poetry, I used to write quite a lot and I wrote a few pieces that I still like a lot (also a lot of failures ;-)) but lately I haven't had so much time or motivation anymore unfortunately. Of course I could just sit down and try hard and maybe something will come to me but I'm a person who believes that inspiration comes when it comes. I can't force it, so I'll just wait for it. I once had this absolutely amazing experience where I was completely alone in another country for a few months and it was hard to make friends and so I felt lonely often. One day I climbed up a hill close to where I lived from where I could see all over the city and to the sea. I just sat there and felt a little sad or melancholic (which often helps me with writing) and thought about life... and suddenly these great lines became to me completely out of the blue. And I knew I HAD to write them down. So I walked down the hill again and as I was walking home, more and more lines came to me and I started reciting them to myself so I wouldn't lose them. Once I got home (I lived with a host family), I went straight to my bedroom, sat down and wrote down the poem really fast, as though somebody had been saying it to me. It became my most favorite poem :-).

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't write poetry much anymore, but I used to occasionally. One of my favourite poets was Alfred Tennyson, but I also liked quotes from Victor Cherbuliez:

"Half the joy of life is in little things taken on the run
    but let us keep our hearts young and our eyes open
    that nothing worth our while shall escape us."

What Guys Said 6

• Yeats is my all time favourite. I write because it helps channel my emotions, frustrations, excitement in ways I cannot fully express in physical forms. Its also very therapeutic. It all started for me at 15/16 w/ a group of homies n homegurls just freestyling and battling each other as the years went it was more written than vocal. Just this summer I've barely started doing open mics.

• The only poetry that I ever really liked was Edgar Lee Masters Spoon River Anthology, which celebrates 100 years this year.

• I enjoy both reading and writing poetry my favorite poets are H. P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allen Poe as well as William Shakespeare, genre's I enjoy most of them.

• O forgot to mention I also enjoy ancient poems such as stuff from the Celtics.

• I'm more of a classical kinda guy.

I like Henery Waldsworth Longfellow, Sir Thomas Wyatt and Josh Spellfield (even though he isn't dead nor famous. Neither is he recognized as great but I happen to like his writing)

• I hate reading and writing. It sucks.

• Yes I do and don't have any favorite poet or gender :D

What Girls Said 3

• Personally, I find verse pretentious.

• Well, the closest I've come to writing a poem was at school bored during class, it was something like this:
    "Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    I'm so fucking hungry,
    Please give me some food"

Sooo yeah.

• No I don't like reading nor writing poetry because it's boring to me. Plus, poetry is hard for me.