What is the best and most civilized way to leave a job?

i'm kinda getting a little fed up with my current job. i'm sick of having to interact with customers who are total assholes on a daily basis, i hate the roller coaster schedule my boss gives me and overall my job gets pretty hectic at times that are the less convinient for anyone. but putting the negative aside i actually love most my coworkers, supervisors, etc. they are nice people and they always praise me for the work i put into things. you know, for once making me feel like my presence is accepted.

but on the meantime i been searching for lots of good jobs that sound more suitable for me but at the same time i feel pretty guilty and like an asshole leaving my current job just because "i dont like it." makes me feel like i'm spitting in all of my coworkers's faces. i also feel like if i leave they are either gonna get some emotional episodes or probably try to beg me to stay and whatever.

so i was wondering, if i do get hire somewhere else how should i tell them that its time for me to leave without feeling like an asshole? what white lie could i tell them?

ps= i can't use school right now because obviously we aren't in September yet

Most Helpful Girl

• just say you feel you need a new challenge and want to do something different... do it with a resignation letter straight to your boss and you need not tell anyone why you are leaving apart from you wanted to do something different. your letter is confidential

Most Helpful Guy

• Give notice, ask for a letter of recommendation (for your files), be honest about why you are leaving (but focus on the positives for you) and don't feel bad. It's not a personal decision against them, it's business. But I once left a job with no notice because the new owner of the company had a propensity of sending people who gave notice out on customer training sessions out of state, then sticking them with the expenses when they got back. One girl who worked under me got stuck with over $2,000 in expenses (in 1985 dollars), so that son of a bitch got no notice from me. I already had a job with one of our customers lined up, and eventually wound up (unintentionally) taking away about 25% of his customer base away because they got fed up with how he treated them, too. They eventually formed the nucleus of my own company years later. He was pissed at me for years, but that was on him. Their software division folded about 4 years after I left that company. He was an unethical bastard, so I didn't feel bad at all for not giving notice. He got exactly what he deserved.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 5

• Give your boss a 2 week notice and a letter of resignation. Tell him that you appreciated the opportunity he gave you for your some odd time there, but that you found yourself another opportunity that you see has lot of potential for your career. Its to your benefit that you are truthful, honest, and respectful. The next place might call his office as a reference, and if he caught you talking out your ass, you might not get the job.

You're not an asshole, its just business. If anything, your coworkers will just be sad to see you go.

• Tell them you are leaving because you have received a better offer in terms of pay and benefits. You regret that you can't continue working with them, but feel that it wouldn't be wise for you to pass up the other offer.

• Some bosses encourage their employees to leave for a better job ssince life is so short and I'm sure they would find someone to replace you

• Letter of resignation.

• School starts aug, you know college