When homeless people are on the side of the road with a sign why don't some people give them at least a dollar to help them out?

What I'm saying is some people just keep going I just don't understand why.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because a lot of the homeless people are not. Especially foreigneers are oftentimes just scamming them. Either they're not actually poor, or there's an evil fuck that's controlling them and taking their money at the end of the day.

I rather give my money directly to groups helping them, like the "soup kitchen" or the various groups giving them shelter. Because those groups KNOW who's genuinely poor and not, and if they get a pretender he's turned down (but they rarely get them, because pretenders don't need their services).

• Exactly what I had been aiming at. Thank you!

• You pretty much nailed it. Although the Mexican border control has been out of control. It's actually pretty laughable. Although ICE is pretty ruthless. We are actually starting to see a huge increase in poverty surrounding the illegal Hispanic immigrants. Mainly the west cost, beginning with California. But really I can't complain, we don't have much of the homeless refugees or immigrants or foreigners compared to our own homeless.

• @dancewithme exactly! Your biggest problem is at home, and how you treat your own. See it as a sign of the American illusion, if you want.
      Because ever since the 2001 recession, the number of people living in powerty has increased. And looking at the big picture, it has gradually increased since the 60's. SOMETHING is wrong somewhere, and you'd be a fool to deny it. And it's not just people being lazy

Most Helpful Girl

• One time I gave 5 dollars to a person holding a sign who looked homeless, I then literally watched him walk into the liquor store and buy alcohol. So, that's why. I don't want to pay to support someone's addiction (which could be a factor in why they're homeless in the first place). I offered to buy another homeless guy some food once and he said no, he wanted cash. I refused because if a homeless person turns down food and wants money instead, I have a pretty good idea of what they would do with it.

So now, if I want to help someone, I will volunteer at my local food bank or the soup kitchen where they actually feed people who need meals. I would rather do that than give money to people holding signs on the street.

• That's actually admirable and a good thing to do for people

• Yeah, I'm glad to hear that you are no longer homeless. I really do feel so much empathy for people who are. I just can't bring myself to give money to people when I'm not certain of what they would do it. I just prefer to actually help feed people because that way, I know that I'm really helping someone, and not just contributing to a bad addiction or something.

• Addicts legitimately need to fuel their addiction. I'd prefer people brought food but they can like legit die or at least suffer if they can't get drugs or alcohol. In a perfect world the help and support to get clean would be there but it isn't and so for many avoiding withdrawal is the best they can hope for

What Guys Said 6

• There are many reasons, but the main reason is that nobody can distinguish between those who are fakes and those who are the real deal. Believe it or not people who are financially well off will pretend being homeless for extra money and those with drug/alcohol addiction will also do it to pay for their next fix.

Not knowing what that person's true intention is, is what I believe really turns people off to giving money. Nobody wants to hand over $5 to someone who doesn't really need it or is going to spend it on the wrong things.

Because of that, that why I contribute in other ways. For example, if I see a homeless dude outside of a McDonald's, then I'll ask him if he wanted anything and if he does then I purchase the meal myself and give it to him.

• My mum told me that she and my dad were on the London Underground going way out into the suburbs late one evening. There were two young girls with babies in prams, counting what was obviously their "takings", for however long they had been out. What my parents saw was an amount probably the same as my father earned in a week. The babies may or may not have been theirs, but were certainly used as emotional blackmail.

In the UK, there are many homeless people. But the buck stops at David Camerons door, and that of the Tory party since Margaret Thatcher. They sold off so much coucil housing without replacing the lost stock. Now they are planning to sell off social and housing association properties. They just do not get it!! The present lack of affordable housing is a scandal instigated by and perpetuated by our Tory government. They have this "Blow you, Jack! We're OK" attitude.

• I live in detroit michigan and the is a homless person on every on and off ramp it gets old after while i give to needie all the time but this one held the best sign ever it said "why lie i want a beer i laughed so much i said me to here's 20$ get a few on me lol

• Well at least he was honest about it

• Lol. Hey, I love my beer now and then too. I sympathized with the guy. A 12 pack makes me smile!

• Bud light platninum and we got a deal 😁

• not everyone has a dollar to give. not everyone wants to give a dollar. not every homeless person is homeless. not every homeless person is a good person

• Some people might be on a tight budget themselves.
    Some people are also just heartless bastards.

• First of all, most "homeless" people are not really homeless, but parts of a criminal organisation.
    Secondly and most importantly, why the hell would I give someone who trashed their life even just a penny?

What Girls Said 6

• Because a lot of those homeless are making way more than minimum wage pan handling. I have personally seen a guy in Salt Lake City, pan handling the same spot every day and at night he drives off in his 2011 Honda Civic to his house. Not apartment, but house.

• That might be true but my thing is how do u know the difference between a the ones who really need help and who don't u don't most of the time thats the thing so why not just try to be the person who would help them out they might not have anything u never know

• Plus, they expedite your food stamps if you are homeless usually. Instead of waiting 2-4 weeks, they have it on your card in 3 days or less. The only problem with having no address is the problem of where to mail the card so you can get it. A lot of offices help you figure it out and if all else fails, sometimes they will give u one from the office.

• Well I have been homeless when I was pregnant the first time because when my childs father found out I was pregnant he kicked me out I was on the street and it was hard but I was thankful for the people who helped me so yeah I help people when I see them if I have any cash in hand because I have been there

• Because some people on the side of the road lie and they actually do have money and aren't poor.

Then also there's people on the street everywhere if you give out a dollar everytime you see one of them then you're going to become one of them.

It sounds harsh but trust me I'm being honest I'm just like you I try my best to help them out and it kills me everytime I see one of them on the street... Bit it kills my wallet even more.

• I usually don't have extra cash with me.

Ohh, and I heard this one, some does not give money to those who smokes because they belive that if they have money to buy cigerettes then they should have money to pay for foods... or something like that.

:)

• Because a lot of them are fake and if they need help they can go to a shelter and get into something to better themselves in society

• Where I live we don't have shelters

• I doubt they do anything because people live in the woods around here because we live in the very rural place and when u don't live in a city they don't ever see a need to help people sadly

• That's horrible :/

• I donate in many other ways.

• Here's a story for you: There's a homeless couple who's been living on our street for decades. They're always begging for money, and wearing torn clothing.

I always gave them money, but one day I heard the woman on the phone. She said to someone "What time are you installing the flat screen".

Never again...