How do you keep cool and calm when arguing with someone?

When I argue or debate I have a tendency to get really frustrated and angry and this affects my arguing skills. Just... some people are sooo stupid and ignorant that I feel like resorting to violence or sometimes I have to refrain from arguing altogether because it feels like my head will explode. Maybe I'll resort to immature ad hominem but none of that will get me anywhere so how do I keep my cool and school some fools with style and maturity? (dat rhyme tho)

Most Helpful Girl

• I try to reason with people rather than argue. If we can't agree , then we have to "agree to disagree" I never get drawn into a confrontation, it's futile

• How do you stay calm when you reason with people then? because when I try to reason I get met with asshole behaviour so it pisses me off and it turns into a pointless confrontation

• Has getting angry gotten you anywhere? Some people are just unreasonable by nature, and will look for any reason to argue. If i know i am right about something, then i don't need them to validate it. Arguing with a fool only proves there are two, and you can't argue with ignorance.. I never argue with stupid people, they just bring you down to their level... then beat you with experience... that's how i remain calm lol

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't get angry. No ad hominems, just sarcasm.

What Girls Said 4

• I know how you feel, sometimes you can't help but get frustrated and annoyed at the stupidity and ignorance of other people.

Most of the people I argue with, have said something offensive in the first place or completely generalized something and to me if they're going to be that dumb, then why do I have to keep my cool when they just said something completely offensive in the first place.

People are always so hard on people who lose their cool in arguments but those are normally the people who are perfectly happy being stupid lol

That being said, I don't really have much of a temper at all but I do get easily annoyed with stupidity.

• Just try to stay cool and think like; omg is this person serious right now? If its that obvious they probably know that they're wrong themselves. Also, maybe you have to reflect on yourself a little bit more during discussions and maybe let another opinion in. I know the feeling because I always want to be right when im having discussions, and usually I just think, okay I'm not gonna waste my time on this bullshit because like its not gonna bring me anything good, and clearly this person has no idea whats going on, so im gonna be the better man and say something like: Okay, well i disagree but whatever

• I just think about where my actions will bring me. Will they help yhe other perdon to understand my stance? Will it insult the other person? Will things escalate? Will the problem be solved?

Or sometimes it helps you to ask yourself this:
    "If i were to die tomorrow, was this situation worth getting angry or frustrated about?"
    (The answer to that question is mostly no for me)

• I don't keep cool or calm... I go ham on their ass

What Guys Said 10

• I just listen to what they are saying and find loopholes in their arguments and then come with a counter lol.

• Yeah, that's my method too but I can't seem to stay completely calm when I do this.

• I'm a calm person naturally. My parents would always yell when things didn't go their way... and then they say the silliest things
    I just swore to myself to never be like them when I was just a pup :)

When I argue, I'm usually calm, and the moment the other snaps... We both know who's winning the argument here

• I don't really get invovled in arguments for that reason and debate very rarely.

• I just block people who have a tendency to disagree with others on the internet. So far I have blocked 162 users.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/60529553.jpg

• You're one of those, huh?

• Are you a troll or?

• Instead of focusing on style and maturity, just have fun. Arguments are fun. You can polish your insults, twist your logic and flex your defenses.

• Honestly, I have no idea. I'm not easily bothered so I never really lose my cool.

• I try to humiliate them.

• I refuse to participate in arguments.

• What about debates?

• @chuppachup Nope. I have really bad anxiety especially in confrontational situations and they give me panic attacks.

• I can understand that. I get anxiety along with my anger.
      Good luck with your anxiety.

• Easy, I never argue to win, I argue to honestly explore the question. I could care less what the person I'm arguing with thinks, they are only there to provide insights, not to be convinced of anything.

• Don't take the topic too seriously. Don't take yourself or the other too seriously. Know that we are all human. Sometimes we're right. Sometimes we're wrong.