Why is the rent so damn high in everywhere in America?

Does everyone in America live like that, working their ass off to pay bills and rent? Why do you even move out of your parents' house? Why do you have to share your apartment with 5 people so you'll be able to eat? Why do you leave tipped staff at the mercy of customers and let them starve? Average rent is $3500. How would a waitress even live there? In a shack with 20 people, only eating breadsticks?

*avg. rent is $3500 in NYC

Most Helpful Guy

• A huge problem is that a mortgage in many cases is hard to profit from and more people are renting because the market's really crap. People used to buy houses, upgrade them and sell and it was profitable. It's much harder to pull that off nowadays, But since land prices really suck so more people are renting and landlords see that so they're raising the rent to do so. I've experienced fairly steep increases in rent myself so I know the pain.

Nothing beats moving out of the parents' house though. The freedom is great. Unfortunately most kids out there struggle with the maturity of managing finances and stuff and don't want to do it. They'll claim they "have no money" yet if you look at their car, cell phone, and large video game collection you'll see why they "have no money." It's not something I'd directly criticize someone on if I saw it but a truly independent person (unlike the people I see who think just paying their own phone is "independent") who manages their own finances sees things very differently compared to someone living at home.

Most Helpful Girl

• America is a huge country so no, rent is not the same everywhere. In cities it is typically more expensive than rural areas to rent an apartment or a house. Nowhere in my area is anywhere near $3500 to rent an apartment. The average where I live is probably $800-1000 per month. Different areas of the United States have a higher cost of living and in some areas, the cost of living is lower so it just depends on where you are.

• @update: everything in New York City is more expensive. The cost of living is extremely high there and does not compare at all to much of the rest of the country.

What Guys Said 10

• Yeah big difference between America ( the whole country ) and New York City one of the most expensive cities in the country to live in. Rent is expensive everywhere though ever been to paris? the prices are out outrageous there, for what they want I could buy a pre-war house with a 2nd level.

• I would NEVER EVER live in NYC or California for that part. Rent is pretty high nation wide but nothing like the two afore mentioned states

• That's why I still live with my mommy and daddy yeah its a scam here not to mention all the taxes, insurance you have to pay for its all garbage.

• Average rent in Augusta, GA is about $650.

New York is by far the most expensive city in the US, so trying to judge the entire country's standard of living by its most populous and expensive metropolis is pretty foolish.

• average rent in california is far less. Everywhere in the US is far less

• i also believe the rent is too damn high

• It's only high in California and New York. Everywhere else it's pretty cheap.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcsNbQRU5TI

The rent is high in NYC because everyone wants to live there.

• what country are you from?

What Girls Said 2

• Naturally in big cities the rent is high anywhere in the world. As for everywhere in America the rent and cost of buying varies.

• I don't know, but I prefer to work my ass off in order to pay rent than to stay at my parents' house.