Do you think that English should be the U. S. official language?

I know that there is no official language in the U. S., but I think it's important that everyone can understand each other; it's not just for our benefit, but for that of the immigrants as well. There are several many different languages, and there just aren't enough dials for all of them. What do you think?

• No, that's discrimination.
  • Yes, it's important.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's necessary. English is the unofficial official language. To divert: So many Americans speak fluent Spanish, and many native English speakers are learning Spanish (here here) But it's not just about these two. The US is still very much a melting pot. And I don't think the distinction is needed.
    Coming back to your question: Even if it was the official language that doesn't mean everyone would make an effort to learn it (though the overwhelming majority of immigrants do learn or try to)
    Things are good the way they are. If the US official language was changed to English then I wouldn't think that was discrimination (because that would be silly)

• I agree that we are a melting pot. I believe that we should be able to speak through a common language, but I don't like it when people say "This is the U. S., SPEAK English!"

• Yeah, I don't like that either. It's very selfish of those people to assume that people aren't learning or that they aren't living their lives and being productive without knowing.

Most Helpful Guy

• What? Don't you have an official language? That surprised. I was that it was English. So, yes, English should be the official language.

What Girls Said 2

• it's just a technicality, really. by all other means English IS the official language of the U. S.

• Of course. This country was founded on English.

What Guys Said 4

• No, I don't think it should be made "Official". Even if it's just a technicality/formality that doesn't change anything, it's still noteworthy to officially stand for the principle of freedom.

For one thing, it's already unofficially the main language of the US anyway, and doesn't need any help. Even as the US becomes more diverse with people from all over the world, they are still people with different languages from each other; so they still need a shared language to communicate, and English will most probably be that language going forward.

For another thing, there is a good reason for the fact that the government hasn't designated one language as the official language: to recognize the principles of freedom on which the country was founded. Remember that the European settlers were from several different European ethnicities/languages, not just one. It's also somewhat analogous to how they chose not to have a state religion, even though most Americans were (and are) Christian.

• Absolutely not. We're a country of immigrants- a hodgepodge of different cultures, religions, languages. You can't enforce homogeny on a diverse population that is becoming MORE diverse every year.

• I agree that we are. I don't like it when people say "This is the U. S., SPEAK English." If there was a *legal* language, this country wouldn't be great.

• Yeah and I think it's great that in the future more people will probably be bilingual or more. There are places in the world where it's normal to speak more than one language. I wish I was raised with more than one actually.

• At this point we are in denial of the linguistic makeup of our country if it is not. And all our laws are in English, right?

• It's not discrimination but it isn't important either. I read somewhere that we don't have an official language because it would make some kind of a big hassle somehow.