Feeling depressed... feeling like there's nothing going for me in my life. How do I overcome this?

I'm feeling like my existence has no meaning right now. Like I have no purpose being here. I have nothing going on for me. Ever since I've been home from uni, I've been trying to get a job. No type of luck even getting an interview. I really wanted a job because I'm not ready to go back to uni. The reason for that is because I'm not doing so well in the major I chose and I wanted to have time to think about what I want to do. I didn't want to just jump right back into school without my mind together. While I'm taking a semester off, I want to be working and not just sitting on my butt all day. So I can't find a job, I'm not doing as well as I wanted to in school, I don't have any real friends, I don't have any type of love interest. I just feel like a failure, a complete loser. I try not to think about things like this, but I can't help it. And it's making me depressed. I seriously cried my eyes out for a good 5-10 minutes. I don't know what to do anymore.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am way older than you, 47, so I have been through many of the life changes you are going through now. Your life will have meaning and purpose but you have to find it. You're depressed and disheartened because you can't find a job. That doesn't make you a failure or a loser. If you can afford it, get therapy, if you can't afford that, and you're religious, see if your religious person can help you find free counselling. Above all, remember this story.

One day a wise and respected king decided to humble his son, whom he saw as arrogant and unfit to take over the throne.

The king said to his son the prince, “My son, there is a certain ring that I want you to bring to me. I wish to wear it for my birthday, which gives you six months to find it.” “If it exists anywhere on earth, father, I will find it and bring it to you, but what makes the ring so special?” asked the prince. “It has magic powers,” answered the king. “If a happy man looks at it, he becomes sad, and if a sad man looks at it, he becomes happy.” The king knew that no such ring existed in the world, but he wished to give his son a little taste of humility.

Spring passed and then summer, and still the prince had no idea where he could find the ring. On the night before his father’s birthday, the prince decided to take a walk in one of he poorest quarters of the kingdom. He passed by a merchant who had begun to set out the day’s wares on a shabby carpet. “Have you by any chance heard of a magic ring that makes the happy wearer forget his joy and the broken-hearted wearer forget his sorrows?” asked the prince. The prince watched the old man take a plain gold ring from his sack and engrave something on it. When the prince read the words on the ring, his face broke out in a wide smile.

That night the entire kingdom celebrated the king’s birthday with great festivity. “Well, my son,” said the king, “Have you found what I sent you after? Have you found a ring that will make a sad person happy, and a happy person sad?” the king inquired with confidence. All the ministers laughed and the king smiled. But, to everyone’s surprise, the prince held up a small gold ring and declared, “Here it is, father!” As soon as the king read the inscription, the smile vanished from his face. The jeweler had written four words on the gold band: “This too shall pass.” At that moment, the king realized that all his fabulous wealth and tremendous power were but fleeting things, for one day he would be nothing but dust.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm sorry to hear about the tough time you're going through. I am going through something similar. I'll share with you one of my favorite quotes ""Have the courage to make the change, the strength to see you through it, and faith that everything will turn out for the best." This quote has brought me through tough times. The truth is that when you are down there and feeling blue you feel like you have no control but you do. Even if it's just focusing on loving yourself. I mean some things are out of your reach (you can't create jobs if there aren't) but in the moment you have to accept what is in your control and to work on those things. Be kind to yourself! Love yourself! You have a lot going for you and you just don't realize it. If it's of any comfort I am going through a similar situation where I hardly have friends, my love life is a mess and I also sometimes feel like a failure. You're not alone. This might sound cliche but it will be OK and you will be OK. Read that quote again and start believing in it.

What Guys Said 3

• Find a local church that has a 'Soup Kitchen' or some charity food-serving thing. Volunteer, and work with them, and see the people who come in. Do your best, and work hard, but look at the ones that come in, NEEDING that meal, as it is probably the only one they had, that day.
    Consider what you have, and how you are better off than many. Take ANY job you can get, and figure out what you want to do!! If college isn't working, maybe a 'trade' like baking, food service, or something!! Look around, and maybe try to get a job with a TEMP agency, to try different things, to find something you like, and are good at!!
    THE WORST thing you can do is give up, and quit!! DON'T DO THAT!!

• Depression gets to everyone, getting a job is never easy. It took about a yr and a half for me to get mine. I suffered severe depression because of this, then I decided I would go volunteer at a charity shop or hospice. Which I found was a great way to meet people and show I was keen to work, it also gave me something to write on my CV 😊

• I'd go back to school, try out new hobbies new clubs, and meet some new people

What Girls Said 1

• After rain comes sunshine. Maybe not the most helpful opinion, but... its just how it is. It's as simple as that. Just hang in there and know there will be better times! PM me if you want, i'm going through a little bit of a depressed time myself! X