What makes you watch a movie? Directing, story itself , acting or characters?

What makes you watch a movie? Directing, story itself, acting or characters?

What makes you watch a movie?Directing, story itself , acting or characters?

• story telling; directing
  • story itself
  • acting
  • characters

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a big movie person and by far the most important thing for me is story. I like to read a lot and I also enjoy writing myself and story is the alpha and omega to me. A story needs to be both credible and creative. It doesn't necessarily have to be realistic (I also enjoy phantasy movies/novels) but it must be credible. That means the author/directer has to give me the feeling that it COULD happen that way. Good storytelling also becomes particularly apparent at the end of a movie/novel. If everything ties in nicely, that means who ever came up with the story did a good job. There's nothing more frustrating than reading a good book or watching a good film and in the end, things don't work out and you're left with this feeling that the director/author just kind of wrapped it up to be done and over with it. I tend to spot bad story and bad storytelling quite fast and I absolutely can't watch movies if their story is crappy. It's almost like back in the medieval times: when you were living in this village and one day, a storyteller came to your village, people wanted him to tell his stories in a fun, exciting way that kept you at the edge of your chair. Nobody likes storytellers who forget half their story or where you almost fall asleep while they're speaking.

Apart from the story, acting can also be important in a movie. I'm more tolerant here and it also depends on the genre. While a good drama needs excellent acting, a comedy does not so much. I have a couple of actors who I really love to see in movies (Leonardo diCaprio, Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman, Jodie Foster etc.) but I'm also open to discovering new actors.

• story is so important i agree :) but it is also important how they tell it :)
      by actors, by director :)

What Guys Said 12

• Story mostly. That is what will stand out in memory after all. Interstellar had a good lead actor but the story was long and rather dull. Any superhero movie has interesting characters but the story is rather childish and stupid. Now Inception per instance had a nice story as well as good acting.

• you are so right! this is common problem about superhero movies. people do not eat dull stories anymore

• Thr actors and actresses mostly.

There are a few select films or genres in which I will definitely watch.

• I agree with the majority... I first look at the type of movie.
    My favourites are action movies, thrillers, war movies or disaster movies.
    The more realistic the story is, the more I like it :-)
    My favourite movie is Apollo 13.

• Story what really makes most people watch it is depending if the media hypes it up by advertising it or not if its not advertised people won't think its good or won't even watch it.

• a mix between the story and actors. i like good solid performances a lot and also get a lot out of an engaging storyline too

• Action and the plot. I like movies with lots of explosions, naked chicks and naked chicks blowing stuff up.

• The cast and the general concept.
    For example, I wouldn't watch The Avengers, because it's a comic book adaptation and I'm not a 7 year old, but I would watch any other film starring Elizabeth Olsen.
    Unless it's a book adaptation or something, you won't know about any of that other stuff until you've already watched it, and then it's too late. This is why famous movie stars get paid so much.

• suggestions mostly... i mean if someone told me "hey check this"

but generally i'm not a movie person... i prefer watchin best parts of each movie (like 10-15 mins, instead of da full movie)...

• A mix between characters and story is applicable to most of them !!!

• Strange question, I have to assume you mean which of those things makes you rewatch a movie you've seen before? Because none of those elements are very defined before you see a new movie you've never watched before.

• well if you know the director before; someone you like, it makes you watch the movie? right?

• There are only a handful of directors with a strong enough style that I'd see a film just because of them. Most of the time that wouldn't apply.

• None of these. Usually the entertainment that I get on watching it.

• The story is the main thing, but the theme behind the story has become more important to me. If I have enjoyed the style and theme of a director's previous movies that affects me too. Usually the actors only influence me negatively; there are some actors I associate with movies I can't stand but there aren't any actors who I like so much that I want to see the movie just because they're in it.

What Girls Said 8

• The genre or story.

There are certain genre's I usually don't watch at all cause I know i'll probably not enjoy it

• The characters for me. I watch a lot of things that are kinda shit but they're redeemable because they have good, developed characters.

• It depends. I'll watch basically anything Alfred Hitchcock or Wes Anderson.
    I also love movies about WWII or the holocaust.
    But things like actor get me too. I love lupita Nyong'o and I would probably watch her paint her nails for an hour just because it's her.

• the story. all the others r mere bonuses, but yeah good acting would come in second.

• for me its the story itself

• Story telling is the biggest thing for me. Like even if it's omg best story ever it won't be any fun to watch if it's not told well.

• 1) The Plot
    2) The cast

• The actors and the story.