Why do Americans think everything should be capitalist?

Capitalism has clearly damaged certain sectors of the society yet Americans refuse to demand change.
Healthcare, education, the prison system etc

Most Helpful Guy

• Because they have done so well from it. Although healthcare, prisions and education should never ever be owned by big buisness.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 14

• Unfortunately, a growing sector of Americans do actually view capitalism as bad. I think this is mostly due to the biases of our educators, many of which are very left-leaning and attempt to influence the views of their students (I can say that from experience).

What people such as yourself fail to take into account is the good things the Capitalism has done. Capitalism gave us the iPhone. Heck, Capitalism gave us nearly everything technology wise that we need for a modern life. Just take one look at Wikipedia's list of American inventions:

en.m.wikipedia.org/.../Category:American_inventions

It's gigantic!

And, if you don't have Capitalism, what is the alternative, Socialism? Socialism brought us Stalin. Socialism brought us Adolf Hitler. And today, socialism still makes everyone equally miserable (except the elite, of course) under Kim Jong Un in North Korea.

People need to accept the reality that until every human being is perfect, a Socialist society will only bring destruction to work ethic and quality of life. Competition is needed for a truly progressive society to thrive.

• Capitalism has ruined health care
      The higher education system
      pharmaceuticals
      Law enforcement due to private prison systems.
      My main point is that each system has weaknesses and dont suit certain sectors because of it.
      Prisons should be a completely run by the gov.
      Health care should be socialist
      Education and pharmaceutical s should probably have duel capitalist and socialist systems.
      Capitalism will never give you the best of anything only what's good enough to make a profit

• Your talking about the other guy. I never mentioned vietnam

• My apologies!

• Well it's because we were raised with darwinistic values of survival of the fittest
    Our society is very selfish
    When you ask people what they care about, it usually is about them me me me I I I

It's hard for people with mentality to work together and sacrifice if it isn't for their own selfish purposes not realizing societies well being is their own

• This completely ignores how Capitalism has made us the only Democratic superpower ever.

• I would argue our greatness has much more to do with our ability to win wars than capitalism. We won our greatness through a series of wars mostly the revolution, and ww2. We stole everything from the Germans. Nukes, scientist, rockets, stealth, atomic technology, even our road systems, but most importantly after the war we become the world reserve currency which allowed us to spend vast sums of money further developing that tech when other countries couldn't because we can just print more

• Hah! We didn't steal everything from anybody after WWII. Quite the contrary: we gave the equivalent of trillions in aid to help the Japanese and Germans, which is a major reason why they are the economic powerhouses that they are today.

• 0|3
  • I think it is just the nature of the country - There are left wing thinkers but they are just less vocal - I have seen people support the more social issue presidential canditate Bernie Sanders here.

• Nuance and subtlety requires intelligence.

• Are you saying that Americans are dumb?

Talk about offensive...

• You're taking yourself, your country, and me too seriously. I have nothing against Americans. Give 'em enough rope...

• Okay, sorry I need a sarcastic font.

• The United States isn't a purely capitalist nation. I'm not sure where you're getting your information.

• yeah not only Americans but many other countries are obsessed with capitalism, but with some meltdowns in recent years I guess people are realising the dangers of a truly capitalistic society.

• Of course, socialist economies like Greece present a far worse danger, as we've seen recently.

• Capitalism suuuuucks

• I mean I think it can be useful in certain sectors, but i also think more socialist style systems would improve certain things, and communist as well at least in terms of printing money and making weapons

• @lancealocke seriously? Yea the current economic situation has everything to do with obamas policies and absolutely nothing to do with the depression the country is recovering from. That makes the most sense

• @Asker

The recession was not Obamas doing, no. It was the fault of an incorrect belief home prices would keep going up.

However, the nearly nonexistant recovery is happening on Obama's watch.

• Because they are Americans and consider USA to be the policemen of the world and what they say goes

• Because most of us are ignorant sheep that swallow the first thing we're told.

• Capitalism isn't designed. It's what you call it when you don't try to control the economy. Americans like freedom, including in our economic choices. It's not so much that we say we love economic freedom, more like we assume that to be the natural state of things, and we bristle and don't like it when somebody tries to take that freedom away.

• Americans are notoriously coarse and stupid.

• That's called stereotyping, dude. It's borderline racist, and regardless deeply offensive.

If you are going to say something like that, at least have the guts to own it and not be anonymous!

• @Lancealocke I don't give a fuck about whether or not people agree with me! Anyways, opinion looks to be split down the middle. lol

• I hate trolls.

• I don't know about capitalist. They think market solutions are generally best. They should be the default unless there is a clear and continuing advantage to a managed solution. Market solutions are self correcting unlike manged ones. They reach a level of inefficiency and stay there. Politically managed solutions, bureaucracies, are frequently more efficient in the short term but they accumulate inefficiencies which do not get corrected because the counter forces are too weak. They eventually become less efficient than the market solution.

Capitalism requires markets but markets don't require capitalism.

• I'm an American, and I don't think that way. A lot of Americans don't think that way...