What do you think of this quote by William Blake?

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is: infinite"

Marriage of Heaven & Hell - Plate 14

Most Helpful Guy

• It sounds like if the human was clear or cleaned from the earth's or human influence'then the human would know... completely.

What Guys Said 4

• Very correctly said I must say :)

However, perception is what makes us human and is meant to differ / vary that keeps up the spice of life, hope to live etc

• Interesting, but is it helpful?

• It is... because of what @Voice said... I think it's important to take it into account.

• About 1, it's true what you say strictly speaking, but also think how culture determines the way we perceive. It's not a bad thing, and it's inevitable, but stretching the limits of culture would make us perceive differently. And each of us can do that to an extent, actually.
      About 2, I think you're taking the idea too literally. But sticking to what your saying, if everything we know is our perception, changing our perception would change everything for us.

I liked your objections :)

• I'm 60 years old but I still have some measurable blood flow in the brain.

• Infinite possibilities of perception is that what is meant?

• I think he is making a false dichotomy between infinite/finite. It leads to a contradiction and so I suspect the model is flawed.

What Girls Said 0