Are white people deliberately ignorant of the hardships of blacks and other minorities?

Seriously, it seems like they almost try to convince themselves that it's easier being black than it is being white. They get almost childishly defensive when you mention "white privilege" (it isn't being wealthy or happy, it's the privilege to be born without disadvantages attributed to racial discrimination). They compare a black person calling them cracker five years ago to the little micro aggressions and deliberate racism (which usually results in the black person's death) black people face. They mention that slavery was 200 years ago, happily ignoring the consequences of that and the Civil Rights Movement (which was less than fifty years ago). And then all the whining about affirmative action (btw, the group that benefits from affirmative action most is white women). It's like they enjoy comparing, essentially, a bandage being torn off to a gunshot. I'm so sick of it, they complain about political correctness as if it's actually a law and not just people calling you an asshole, they complain about the sparse white jokes (usually jokes that are more or less backhanded insults to minorities anyway), and have formed this bizarre narrative where they are now the oppressed victims. Hell, why would you even want to be a fucking victim? Believe me, it's not fun.

And, yes, I know it's obviously not all* whites, but, it seems the vast majority online are extremely biased if not outright racist, just going by that I can infer that most in general are, and that's depressing. Remember kids, whenever you want to say that blacks are far more racist, just remember to compare:

1. How many anti-black sites there are compared to anti-white sites

2. Hoe your friends react to a black joke and a white joke

Wow, so, critical of whites in any way is racism? That's just pathetic. If you think someone pointing out the racism committed and perpetuated by (certain) whites and western society is racist against white people, it says more about you than it does me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Alright before I say anything just know you posted a question with a lot of debate centered around it and everyone has a differing view point. I'm not attacking what you're saying or disagreeing with you. I'm sharing an opinion.
    Now my boyfriend is black and we argue about this all the time. I agree that people are racist. We live in a racist society. I've seen the discrimination and the looks I've experienced the outright racism but at times I thinks its over exaggerated.
    All racism stems from the idea of a stereotype. And a stereotype is our brains way of organizing quickly and efficiently. When someone we know or meet falls into that stereotype it reinforces the idea. Which in turn makes us think the stereotype applies to everyone, which leads to racist actions. (no, I'm not saying racism should be excused)
    And while I wouldn't say I'm racist I will readily say that my job (in a predominantly Asian community) has lead me to believe certain stereotypes and act on them.
    Racism is something that our society will never be free of, because we will never be free of race, we will never be free of stereotypes. Its something we all need to work towards. We all need to try to see the person not the stereotype, we need to realize that not every person is going to act the same as other people in the same race.
    But because of culture there are always going to be differences in different races. There is a different black culture, and Asian culture, and white culture. The way we live and act changes with our level of income and where we grew up. What religion we practice and were raised with.
    We are never going to be the same. There is no way for us all to be the same. I dont want us all to be the same. But there is always going to be someone who doesn't agree with someone else. Or someone who thinks they are better than someone else, race or otherwise.
    Racism isn't going anywhere. But we can all work to reduce the effects.

Most Helpful Guy

• Umm, when it comes to this topic or anything related to it. You may as well shut up cuz in the end it #doesn't matter to them nor do they care because oh yeah, it's not them. So until they've somehow been put into the same predicament as us. This whole "topic" is even worth discussing IMHO. Since they don't know the struggle anyway, right?

Oh boy, don't get me started on racist white people on Xbox Live or just in general. Read my post on there (I'm mistninja314) www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1292716-why-do-white-people-get-called-racist-even-if-they-are-not I've noticed that white people are the main 1's to call me a racial slur if and when I make them mad (which commonly happens after I embarrass them in an argument). Ya know AS IF THAT SHIT WAS #IMPRINTED INTO THEIR #DNA. i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

If I argue with any non-white person they'll call me a bitch or something #cool. But they wouldn't dare drop the N-bomb on me unless I called them something equally as bad 1st (which I never do since I was taught better than that at home).

Heck, sometimes I'll join a Xbox live party full white people and this is how I'm greeted "OMG DUDE you SOUND BLACK... OH WAIT YOU'RE BLACK GET YOUR N-BOMB ASS out of here" like the nerves of some people -_-. They're the only group of ignorant mf's who do that shit HAHA

I'm going to finish it off with this. I still remember this 1 time in the 4th grade where GYM teacher called me an N-bomb all because I wouldn't pick up a dodgeball -_-. Here's the thing though I never heard him because we were allowed to wear MP3 players back then. He also knew that I had mine on that day. But instead of shouting or waiting for me to turn around he chose to say " pick up that fucking balll *insert n bomb here* I know you heard me".

I'm not going to lie back then I was kinda shocked because I was 1 of those ignorant "RACISM IS OVER" kind of guys. But yeah that served as a wake call to me since he was my fav teachers in the whole school/thought he was trustworthy.

• Wow, that was huge. And very mature of you to go that route. Mama Obviously raised you right.

• @gapminder I fucking hate my MAMA www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1298202-are-my-mom-s-actions-justified HAHHAHAAH... Shid I just didn't wanna thug em like that. If I had it my way or if he said that shit to me today... it would have been on and popping LOLOLOL

What Girls Said 7

• YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

It's not just that they ignore it. They don't care. That's why they derail every discussion with a "not all white people"

• I hate that, "not all white people" hell, if you don't try to change you're contributing to the problem.

• Or admitting they're not the perfect little angels they've become convinced of, our existence threatens their comfortable delusion.

• White people have struggles and problems too - maybe not related to being an ethnic minority but there are billions of things that can go wrong with your life.

• Bravo, they have the struggles and problems every fucking person deals with, black people have problems everyone deals with and problems specific to being black, now tell me how much harder whites have it.

• Blacks were actually economically better than whites until the democrats destroyed the black community with the welfare system. The democrats are pests. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Anyways I understand what you mean by them blatantly ignoring the civil rights movement. It just makes them look stupid as fuck.

• Not really, it was globalization that did it for the most part, and, when did I mention democrats or republicans?

• Haha, that's it, "grow up"? Tsk, tsk, looks like my widdle fwiend can't handle arguments.

• Nope, they aren't.

There are ignorant people - but that's in general - not just about the history of black people.

• People like to live with blinders on. They refuse to see themselves as anything but heroes.

• Wow. I actually don't even know what to say right now after reading your question and some of the responses to it. Some of these people really don't believe that white privilege is a real thing. Somebody actually used Lebron James as an example to prove that white privilege doesn't exist. Well it DOES exist. It's real, and if they actually took a minute to look at the people behind them then maybe they'd understand. Minorities aren't pretending to be victims just to get welfare and other benefits from the system.

PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!
    http://youtu.be/hD5f8GuNuGQ

• not all of us are.

What Guys Said 18

• I believe I can see both sides of that coin. While "blacks" have suffered hardships in the past and continue to do so today, there are provisions set up all across the country to try to eliminate the theory that "whites" are privelaged. There are equal oportunity quotas that state for every so many caucasians, a company must hire x number of African americans. When the caucasian slots fill because there are more qualified people of caucasian descent the other slots go unfilled. And there can be a waiting list of over 100 people when a person of African descent less qualifed for the position applies, the job is instantly given to try to fill the quota. Now to look on the caucasion side, totally not fair and isn't he priveleged, he got the job just because he is "black". And on the African American side, he only got the job because they made the company hire him. Now he has to endure the hatred from coworkers. All of those people are a bunch of spoiled rotten kids screaming at the top of their lungs in a temper tantrum "IT'S NOT FAIR" to those I say grow up, life is not fair and if you want something you have to earn it. There is no such thing as a free handout. Everything has a cost. America is the land of opportunity, not the land of handouts. Everyone has the oportunity ro have everything they ever wanted, but being in the right place at the rifht time with the correct skillset and mentality is the key to success here and in any other country. Question for thought, do you think that Tiger Woods became rich and famous by saying I like golf, and I want money? Or was it more likely that he was determined to make something of himself and used a sport he was good at to hone his skills to be the best to do it?

• so first ill answer your question. the people who are racist, yes, are willfully ignorant. they were raised with bad info and told to never let go of it.

but here you are lumping me in with them. i dont do the things they do and i treat people with empathy. im an egalitarian who wants everyone to live harmoniously. frankly i dont care that after your speech you put the disclaimer "ok there are some good ones." thats the same as if i went on a rant about black people stealing and said "ok ok not all but the prison systems are filled with blacks so i can infer..."

in short, racism is racism, and racism can't fight racism.

i mean there are a lot out there but you're also generalizing a entire people so you're still part of the problem. you should care about the whole worlds problems, not just your own. from this i saw nothing that suggested a love for all people, only a loyalty to your personal group and hatred for others. so can i really be surprised that you also used racist language, and upon being called racist you immediately went on the defense and never analyzed the angry things you said because you could never possibly have said anything racist? of course not, because those are the very things that begat those common racist behaviors.

but sont worry, im white, so by your perspective that means i could never have anything important to say to you. so go one never loving others or caring who you offend. those sound likie great strategies for combating racism. and while i want to be mad at you, i realize who im really mad at is the systems in place that want to tear the love between people apart, and how well theyve worked on yoiu.

• Poor white me narrative, next

• that was a message of the love of all people. something i dont think you understand. not once did i defend or aggrandize whiteness. i condemned your myopic perspective. i educated you on racism. i preached love. and i feel sorry that you'll never know what its like to love all people.

• What makes white people tune out is when activists start the self-pitying and self-victimization, as in when race baiters start tossing around racist ideas like 'white privilege.' No one likes to be lumped into a group and blindly derided, so you should expect white people to turn a deaf ear to those kinds of things.

Decent people care about social justice, but no one pities those who refuse to help themselves. White people have to go to school and work and try to make a success of our lives. No one gives most of us anything, and the sooner black people stop using this idea to feel sorry for themselves, the sooner they can start focusing on things that will make their lives better.

• Yet another "enlightened" white man that doesn't know what white privilege is.

• Just because you go to school with white kids doesn't mean that you know anything about their personal lives and the struggles they face. As such, you're engaging in some pretty serious hypocrisy. You're judging all white people's lives based on some stereotype you've assigned to us as a monolithic group.

And yes, store managers do stalk white people, especially young white guys who they see as suspicious. It's happened to me. I get singled out at the airport for additional screening nearly every time I fly. I get screened out because I fit the a demographic of crazy: white male, aged 18-44. That's right, I get racially profiled, hard as that may be for a black person to accept.

As far as parents telling their daughters to avoid dating you, there may be some who do that, but it's certainly not all or even most. That's why I see white girls flirting with black guys all the time. I saw it in HS, and I see it in college. On top of that, you don't think there are black parents...

• who tell their black daughters to stay away from 'white boys'? You're delusional if you don't. Most black people are taught from birth that white people are their natural enemies, which is why black people are so perpetually angry at white people. Segregation died two generations ago, yet you still all these black race warriors marching around like it's 1967.

• I feel really sorry for you and those like you who wallow in self-pity. It's like you believe that your life is over at birth just because you're black. How sad for you.

There is no such thing as 'white privilege.' There is 'green privilege,' but no 'white privilege.' Privilege is about money, not skin tone. Lebron James's kids are more privileged than 99% of all white kids born in this country, yet Lebron is black as night. Those kids will have every advantage because their dad will be a billionaire within 10 years.

The harsh truth that you and all other black people need to hear is that no one is going to help you in this life. Sorry, but that's how it works. You need to stop expecting the government or guilt-ridden whites to come along and save you. Do for yourself. Stop playing the race victim card and start working. Honestly, I think you should be embarrassed for this kind of thing because it shows a total lack of self-respect.

• Haha, yet another white person that doesn't understand what the term refers to. It's not about money, it's about being able to be born into the world without disadvantages based on your race. If you're about to go on a tangent about how blacks don't have it harder I will ignore you for such idiocy is not worth my time. Honestly, I'm utterly sick of white people trying to say what blacks should and should not be upset about.

• And this is where I ignore you, goodbye

• You're a weak-minded person.

• Yay another person who is racist against white people. My block list continues to grow every day.

www.quickmeme.com/.../...b92d7acc34bf45c0335f2.jpg

• I up voted your opinion. But if I remember correct you have posted some anti white opinions in the past. Anyway I mean no offence bro.

• so not liking when people are racist to you AND not liking when people are racist to others are contradicting statements to you then. alright then. @strider90

• Oh, didn't you get the memo? Black people are allowed to be as racist as they please against white people.

• Ahhh another anti white question. Very nice.
    Anti racist is a codeword for anti white.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-zttPCDqYU

• Even though you say you are on your way to becoming a sociopath, I think you are 100% right in this question, very well done.

• No, but those who are born and raise with wealth are.

• tl;dr

Why are deliberately ignorant of all white people? You're arguing ignorance with your own ignorance.

• EVERYBODY SUFFERS ON THIS PATHETIC PLANET. How hard is that to understand. Life is hard as hell for all humans of every race.

• Life is less hell if you're white, you know that, don't be an asshole

• Unfortunately some white people purposely ignore that stuff. It's just a desire of theirs to be victimized. Please don't think every white person is like that because most aren't those people are just morons. Hope this helped

• And it's not the majority of white people either. It's simply the loud minority.

• Asians are the same as whites they try to deny their Asian privilege by saying they got their success from hard work and determination by studying hard at school and college all the while being encouraged by a set of good parents who have worked hard all their lives to provide lovingly for their children while never complaining about an invisible enemy who conspires to keep them down. Those lying Asians!

• That's a shitty example and you know, of course, that's why you choose such an example

• That's bullshit and I'd tell you why but you're a waste of my time. Oh well, I enjoy making fools out of white people so I'll explain it. The simple reason is that white America has utterly devoted itself to ensuring black people would be failures and always failures. Slavery already left a legacy of poverty, considering most rich whites never earned their wealth and gained it through inheritance. And then as black businesses and such sprung up, white America destroyed them, one notable town was the center of black business and wealth in America, whites made up a flimsy excuse and actually fucking bombed the town and moved in. Things like these have ensured blacks would always be economically weak and uneducated, and even then most black people in America are middle-classed.

• And yet Asians living around the sane time were able to come along with nothing in their pockets but through hard work and determination as little as two generations later put their kids through college andthey become productive tax paying members of society. What you are describing was in the fifties and sixties time to move on and look at the social problems in the black communities that are holding you guys back, time to hold rallies, marches and protest against the acceptance of criminal behaviour in the black communities that only thrive by preying on black Americans. Problems that have nothing to do with white folks. If black lives matter then take it those who murder their own in the street, take it to the prisons. Compare the modern black male with the black male a generation ago whats the one big difference? Why are black women so successful and not black men. These problems are not white peoples fault nor can they solve, only black people change it.

• It's not our problem. I am an American but i care more about the poor white people in romania then i do for the poor non whites across town. I don't have anything against them they are not my people and there problems are not mine.

• I'd say that makes you an asshole, but, then again, I would go to any length to protective my people from yours, your people, who have sought our destruction from the start.

• Good for you everyone should have pride in there race.

• I don't take pride in my skin tone, I protect my people because they're my people and everyone else seeks to destroy us, that's it, it isn't about pride or even really love, it's about preservation.

• I wouldn't say it's deliberate, but white privilege prevents a lot of whites (most, maybe) from being able to empathize with people who have to deal with the effects of institutional discrimination, because they have never in their lives experienced it, and explaining it to them is almost akin to explaining colors to someone who's been blind their entire life. Although personally, I was 32 before anyone even *tried* to explain it to me.

White people deal with the effects of racism from a completely different perspective. Most white people have experienced isolated acts of racism against them, and that experience is what they understand all racism to be. Direct and overt. Most whites aren't directly and overtly racist, and so they simply don't understand that minorities have to deal with more subtle forms of racism that exist on a much more widespread level.

And so a lot of whites perceive the complaints of blacks, for example, about racism as being petty or overblown, and thus terms like "playing the race card" are born and perpetuated, out of simple ignorance, and there's more frustration than malice in this, because from the white perspective, we're being blamed for the direct and overt acts of racism that happened 200 years ago, that we clearly had nothing to do with, not the institutionalized racism that we help to perpetuate daily, because most whites don't even fully understand that this even exists.

This is where the failure is happening, and where we could all benefit from having real conversation about it. Education in the face of ignorance is always more effective than arguing.

• Only ignorant to black people.
    In the real world...
    Most of your hardships are exaggerated.

• Someone here is awfully thin-skinned...

• The problem with talking about 'white privilege' is it is a charged, political term designed to manipulate people. A more correct and neutral terms would be 'majority ethnic advantage' because the majority ethnic group in any country will always enjoy an advantage.

There are all sorts of people, in the USA and outside it who live in unfortunate circumstances. the question is to what degree is that my personal responsibility and to what degree should I be accountable to remedy their plight.

I think most people would agree your responsibility is limited to what you yourself have done, not to what your ancestors or people who happen to look like you did. You accountability has a much wider variety of opinion. Some believe you should be called on the sacrifice to relieve the sufferings of all less fortunate people, some just those in your nation, some that you have a moral accountability proportional to moral distance. The last is my view. I am completely accountable for my immediate family, very accountable for my more distant family, followed by neighbors, my community, my fellow citizens and finally mankind in general to whom I am accountable the least. To do them no harm is all I owe them.

• Except I don't really give a shit about what goes on outside of my country. My issue is the attempt of the supposedly neutral guiltless whites that go to any length to derail any conversation about race. Obviously you're not accountable for the past, but you are for the present, and, in the present, blacks are still viewed as the dangerous, lesser, other. Whites have the most power in this country, I hate it, but, fact of the matter is, the only thing that will ever matter is if they are willing or even goddamn panel of course changing, and, well, it seems like the vast majority are not. My motto is, if you're not trying or willing to fix the problem, by virtue of existence you are a part of it, whether you're black, white, or green. So, yes, since i live in the US, where whites have the power, it would be disingenuous and a deliberate attempt to derail the conversation to call it anything but, kinda how you only focused on one point I made here.

• Well by your motto you (and I) are part of an awful lot of problems because there are literally millions of problems I'm not doing anything about. You seem to be saying this problem which you find particularly galling should be other people's concern (more than it already is anyway) but why is that? Why should they focus on this problem above one of the other million?
      I'm not trying to derail or de-focus the problem, I'm trying to get to the heart of it.

• I never see other ethnicities complain nearly as much