Is the US the greatest nation currently on Earth?

During the Fourth of July this year, I got into an argument with a cousin of mine. She said something to the affect of "this is not a great country."

I think that all things considered, we are the greatest (maybe not in history), but without a doubt currently. Obviously, our military is the dominant force in the world, and we are the most important members of most diplomatic relationships (UN, NATO, etc.). But further then that, we drive the global economy, we are by far the most innovative and inventive of any nation. Finally, our culture, without a doubt, is the biggest player in the world. You can go virtually anywhere and buy a pair of blue jeans. Additionally, nearly all of the chart-topping movies are made by Americans, as is most of the music.

Wouldn't you agree that these things combined unquestionably make us the greatest country on earth? This is more then pure patriotism.

If you say no, PLEASE comment with the country which you think is greatest, and why.

• Yes, America is the greatest country on Earth
  • No, it isn't, and I will comment below explaining why.

Most Helpful Guy

• Every country has its flaws and has committed mistakes, but for me, for what I look for in a country, yeah, I think the US is the best.
    *braces himself for the downvotes* xD

• Well, you got one upvote :)

• @JaysunPt well, as someone who has spent most of his live in Europe (born and raised), and now living in the US, I can say that the US is better than the picture that it's shown to other countries. At least I can compare it to other countries, while most of those who criticize the US haven't put a foot in the country.

• Thanks for the MHO

What Girls Said 17

• I can't with American arrogance.

• This country is not the worst country on this earth but definitely is not the best. We have a failing school system, right now we have this us vs. them mentality with the police that is suppose to protect us. We have to pay for our college where as in other western countries the government will pay for either all of it or most of it.

• Uhh...

You do realize free college would put us further in debt right? It's not actually free...

• Seriously who is your economics teacher? Read this:

www.investopedia.com/.../...vecurrencystrength.asp

• Do you understand now?

• China and USA are close. China is predicted to whoop America in the future in there current growth. Im from the UK and London is the biggest financial capital of the world so I wouldn't rate America too highly. They have a impressive military but when it comes to a future war Russia and china will join forces because there close allies aswell as a common dislike in America. The Chinese will become a super power and elite and the only reason they aren't there yet is because they have only recently explaneded there markets to countries thet previously did not trade with. And a intresting fact is America are in debt to China of 14 trillion dollars lol. Also a nation with high levels of poverty isn't and shouldn't be classed as great. Funnily enough it's not a logical American system either health care has to be paid for which should be done through taxation. I've heard stories where someone had a heart attack the ambulance came and because he was poor they didn't help the man. Now thats something you'd only hear in America. The gap between the rich and poor in the US is shameful they should be looking at Sweden for there quality model. Even if you think the US is great the Chinese are growing exponentially and with there innovative ideas they will pass your nation within a couple of years

• Okay, this what you just wrote is a pretty big block of text, so I'm going to break it down if you don't mind :)

1. London used to be the financial capital of the world. Now it is a city by the name of New York. Sorry, but this the consensus; look it up. Do you know which nation New York is in?

2. If a war between the western democracies of the world and the dictatorships develops, it's going to probably be a nuclear war. So no sense in considering that scenario; nobody would win the devastation would be so great.

On a smaller level, we still spend more on our military (both for people and machines) then like the next ten countries combined.

Do you know the three largest air forces in the world? They are the United States Air Force, then the United States Navy, and then I believe is the United States Army. We literally have thousands of fighter jets alone.

• 3. I'm confused. You make it sound as though you really think China is the greatest country, and the you say that a country with a lot of poverty shouldn't be classed as great. Nearly every American has a higher quality of life then nearly every person in China. That alone should put us above them. Where would you rather live?

4. Whoever treated that person was not following protocol.

What I'm more scared of are the horror stories of people having to wait 8 months to see a doctor under the "single-payer" system you described. We've tried it to a certain degree here with the VA hospitals... it is horrible some of the wait times and conditions of those places. It doesn't work.

• 5. What innovative ideas? I literally cannot think of one great invention by the Chinese. Do you know of any? By contrast, I'm sitting here on my iPod touch (American), with a microprocessor inside (American), communicating with you via the Internet (American) and looking out the window at an airplane flying by (American). Need I say more? (there's plenty if you're still not convinced)

The reason why China has grown to be so powerful is not through the ideas of their own, but because they have realized that the best way to go from a low-income nation to a high-income nation is to rapidly build products designed by other, MORE INNOVATIVE, people.

• Its so stupid how saying I am a proud American is offensive to some people.

• It's annoying how stigmatized the U. S. This is a question and your opinon, not arrogance. It is seriously immature to just downvote people over an opinon, but I guess that ruins the point of downvotes right?(Even though nowadays it seems like it is more than a simple disagree option) If this question was a different country then there would be less hate. To answer your question, I do love the U. S since it is home but I also feel that there is no best country or nation.

• Your economy sucks, you're losing in science and education, your liberals and conservatives suck, your popular culture sucks and fuck McDonald's.

• Our economy isn't recovering well because people put a bunch of so-called Progressives in charge, but to say our economy "sucks" is a huge overstatement. We are still the largest economically in the world according to most economists, and I would much more prefer to be in our economic situation then that of EU, with countries like Greece who just want to freeload. It's not that bad here.

As for your comment about our popular culture, whether you like it or not, it's the biggest. Whatever country you are from, you can't deny this!

• It is. Even if you don't like America you can't ignore the facts.

• i would say currently not because this is a largely a nation of lions currently being led by sheep

• So if we aren't, who is then?

• Was number 3 4 years ago and falling in value. I'm a contributor to that it's fall as I will be leaving and not coming back to a country I will not forgive again.

• Okay, that I can agree with @springocelot

#thanksObama

• I wouldn't want to be anywhere else 😊❤💙❤💙

• No because we have a lot of flaws that make us shitty in ways. Also there is this video I saw once which I agree 100% with the guy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHSXUS0_1c

• Haha! That's from a fictional film
      If we aren't the greatest, who is?

• Like what?

• some countries have better health care systems than others, South Korea has the fastest internet speed, shopping is better in some other countries, the list goes on and on. Just some do certain things better than others.

• At least for now, it is. I don't know what you consider as the elements that make a country great, but in the reality, it's no other than money and power.

• With the oil fields in Alaska and Mexico and those they got in Iraq they're the greatest in money. And because the oil is only traded in $$ and the FED manipulates the $ rate at will America is the greatest in money, thus in power too.

• @Lancealocke
      It's not only the oil, it's the *control* of oil supply AND oil being paid in dollars only AND the FED manipulating the $rates at will.
      The Saudis don't pump up more or less than the US wants and the US determines the price by manipulating the $.

• And what is the reason that we are in the position to manipulate those rates? Could it be that our economic power, innovation, and cultural domination put us there?

We haven't always been able to do that. Many other countries were much more powerful then us before WWII

• Well you also got the worst educational system in teh civilised world, and people loose everything they own if they get sick.

• 1. Where did you see that we have the worst educational system? Says who? That's a bunch of bologna.
      2. No, you don't lose everything. That's also a bunch of bologna. Now everyone is required to have private or government subsidized health insurance... and if that falls through you can file for bankruptcy protection.
      3. If the US isn't, which nation do you think is the greatest?

• 1. There is no 'greatest nation'. All nations have good and bad elements to them.
    2. If it were, it would not sustain wars all over the world in the detriment of its people's welfare.
    3. It would not treat the rest of the world like colonies.
    4. It would not have been built on slavery.
    5. It would not value profit over people's lives, or the quality of their lives.

• Concerning number 4:

No matter who you are, and where you are, someone who lived on your soil before you, or someone from your bloodline, has at one point in history been a slave owner in one sense or another. Other points aside, pointing fingers at people for things that happend before they were born is a silly and fruitless pursuit.

• Sure. It would be had those practices not been transposed into modern slavery practices, but well maybe it's better not to get into that :)

• It's sad to say but yes apparently America is...

• I think if it truly were the greatest country from an objective perspective, its people wouldn't brag about it constantly :P there is no such thing as the greatest country

• So do you contest any of my points? Because they all point to us being the greatest.

• thanks for ignoring all of my other perfectly valid points in an attempt to reinforce your own agenda

• What points... about crime and education? If you take out the inner cities, which really don't represent America at all and are run more like Europe, we do relatively well on those fronts.

• I dont like america like a country because it doesn't have rules and it just take the money from the people like tax.. etc and i thonk there are a lot of the people sleep in the street bcz they dont have money , but i love American people , and i wish i got married with an anerican man but i think they r not Loyal , thank u💜

• Your statement here is confusing.

"We don't gave rules." Yes we do.

"take the money from the people like tax" We do tax like every other country that isn't in anarchy yes.

• By the way, women can drive here.

• Are you going to clarify?

• Of course! But I may be biased lol

What Guys Said 24

• You have an 18 trillion dollar depth;
    Your military has started more wars than Nazi Germany and the USSR combined;
    You have no free healthcare. In fact you could buy tickets to Spain, book a hotel for a week, brake your leg there, treat it, learn Spanish language, and then fly back and it would still be cheaper than braking a leg and treating it in the US;
    Your government is spying on every one;
    Your government has put dictators in power only to then later discredit them when they are of no use;
    You consume way more resources than any nation should reasonably consume.

But yeah the movies are cool. Except it's a shame that the perverse American culture is infecting the rest of the world.

• You know it ironic. Most of the people making those movies are far leftists.

• It all depends at what you look.
    As well China and India as the EU have more inhabitants. (and more works of art)
    The US is the country with the biggest jail population
    The US does a lot of scientific research but isn't the only one.
    Average income in buying power is highest in the US but there are 40 mn Americans living in poverty.

• Yeah this too

• @NearlyNapping excellent point. It's all relative!

• @OpinionOwner

That may not change the stats, but its important to note those inner cities are not representative of American ideas and thus make those stats invalid.

• personally i don't think any country is "the greatest"
    each has possitives and negitives.

example, you say global economy? the U. S is in trillions of $ in debt
    waging wars and the such

so greatest country? no

• Waging wars and dragging others into it too

• Reading comprehension a challenge for you? Where did I say civilization?
      Check your facts about what the EU means for its countries then try again ^_^

Face it little fella... the US is not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination lol
      Every single point you have tried to make... has been disproved.

• And shooting each others heads off?
      You mean... like the daily happenings in the US? Just proving my point for me! Thank you! Lol

• I don't believe in highlighting one country over another - I find it very jingoistic and not very appropriate.

• Isn't it good to analyze what's worked and what hasn't?

• You can be self aware without bragging.

• It's not bragging if its justified, sir. It can serve as a legitimate way ti show people what kinds of reforms to take in order to make their country better to live in.

• The greatest doesn't mean the best. Maybe you're more rich, maybe you're more powerful, but all of that is built on the blood and corpses of the innocent. What's worse, you don't even regret it. As a matter of fact, your country continues to fall into slaughter and massacre.

• I think you read the poll wrong. I'm talking about the US, not Russia :)

• So, you're saying that murdering civilians is not a bad thing?

• Of course not, that is idiotic of you to imply such a thing. What I'm saying is that you tried to spin America's noble efforts in world war two as somehow being about greed, I disproved you, and you did not defend yourself. You then tried to frame it as though the equivalent of trillions of aid we provided our defeated adversaries was hurting them, and I had the sense to observe how successful those countries (Germany and Japan) have been since then. You did not dispute this.

Now you are resorting to the age old tactic of insulting the men and women who have died to defend the world against Stalin, Hitler, bin Laden, and Mao as "murderers". I understand that you are from a socialist nation down south and I'm sure that the corrupt, state run media there have done everything in their power to make you dislike capitalism and spread the cancer of anti-Americanism, but that is simply disgusting. You obviously lack evidence to defend your positions, and do not want to have a real debate.

• 'greatest' is such a vague term that can be defined in so many ways it makes the term meaningless.

If 'greatest' means most powerful militarily or most productive economically, then yes, the United States is the greatest country on earth, if it's which country has the citizens with the best standard of living or educates it's young people to the highest standard, a number of countries kick the U. S. ass in those areas.

So I'm going to vote 'no', because it's impossible to argue ANY country is the 'greatest on Earth' without a very easy rebuttal, the question needs to be better defined to be of any meaning.

• Define greatest. What's the measure? Then how would you even measure something like that? No two people would ever agree on something so subjective. I think it's literally impossible to determine the greatest county.

As for the United States. I like the country. It's the only place I've lived. So how could I compare it to so many countries I've never even been to, let alone lived in long enough to make a knowledgeable comparison? I think you have to live somewhere a number of years to even begin to make a comparison like that.

I like the country, but I wouldn't say I love it. I'm certainly not a flag waver. On the other hand I hate the government. I really believe the country is on a downward slope. Not just because of the government, but for other reasons as well - too complex to get into now.

• Regardless of her flaws, every man must adamantly believe the country he chooses is the greatest in the world, just as he must believe the woman he chooses is the greatest in the world; not because it is a fact the world has agreed upon, but because she becomes a little less beautiful everytime he says otherwise.

• I think what I'm trying to say is that its everyone's duty to say their country is the greatest, whichever one is theirs. (unless you really do hate your country, in which case you should move to the one you love the most)

• Yes, but when most people say it they can't back it up.

• South Korea actually ranks the no.1 in most innovative country.

• I think US ranks 6th or 5th.

• Yeah US continues to fall in value, it is being surpassed every day.

• Culture-less unfulfilled Mongoloid souls have nothing better to do with themselves but be lousy shit heads Americans. Fuck everything up.

• This country went down hill after the 80s to be honest. So no we have so many problems wrong with this country firstly starting with health care okay our taxes and from working full time jobs pay for health insurance yet health insurance won't always cover you and especially if you have a preexisting condition and then try to get health insurance afterwards they won't give it to you its practically impossible that's happened to a lot of people. Say you get MS and then your insurance from your job you started before you got MS didn't activate until 2 months after and you get MS one month after starting your new job trust me a condition like MS no health insurance would want to touch you. America is the best at propaganda

• This all depends on your criteria for "greatest."

Me personally, I think the US needs to do much more to safeguard against money infiltrating politics--it's our greatest challenge moving forward.

It's funny because the left and the right squabble over table scraps, and all the while it's special interest groups and lobbyists that really drive policy and legislation. And yet, not many people talk about campaign finance reform, for example?

• Why do the No's have to explain themselves and the Yes' just get to vote? I call BS on the 'this is more than pure patriotism' statement. The US has many very great qualities but it also has unfavorable qualities and whether or not it is the greatest country on earth is subjective. It is far from being unquestionable. In fact, I'm pretty sure I just questioned it.

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images

• I know its subjective. But thats what I wanted to debate.

I only asked the Nos the explain because the presumption is if you say yes you agree with most of my points, and if you say no you have another nation in mid. I wanted to know what it is.

• I'm not gonna get into it. Other people have mentioned some of the negatives and I don't care enough to explain my point of view right now.

• It is barely treading water as that at the moment. If things change it can regain its status of the ultimate super power but things have to change from how they have been done the last 6-8 years though.

• Obviously I'm gonna back my own country a bit here, leading economy and all that stuff u say, well ummm correct me if I'm wrong but the UK has the fastest growing major economy, I give it to you that yea America is powerful but far from the best. There are many EU countries that could argue that they are better also

• UK still only has about 3/4 the GDP of the US.

Your the faster growing major economy? Yeah that's not correct. It's China, or India, or Brazil.

• All we have going for us? Mate u can't dress it up like that man it's undeniable that our forces are some of if not the best in the world

• And anyway all we got going for us, still bugging me that one is, gulf war pretty sure u will find SAS saved many many U. S. Soldiers and were asked to do missions by U. S. Because delta force couldn't

• Most important and influential is not the same as greatest. Greatest is a term which means different things to different people, you won't get any agreement about it.

• Almost everything about America is screwed up right now... But I love the idea of it.

It's just politicians are screwing up the country.

• not anymore, once we were, like in the 1920's. but these days were are but a shadow of our former self

• Gotta correct you on one thing your culture is definetly one of the worst sure by living standards your country would make your country a GOOD or BEST country in the world but i would definetly not call your country the greatest country or even a great country there are too many differences between what you could call the best country and a great country.

• God, the rage this question is producing must be unfathomable.

• I'm a slave to America, forced to be homeless, slandered, stifled, and bias, unfairly treated. Without me, America will surely fall soon. I plan to leave so I cannot be starved, jailed, and slaved for the benefit of Americans any longer.

• For a nation that has only given me hate will receive nothing but hate in return.

• How are you forced to be homeless...

• It's a racist, far right, colonial, imperialist shit hole. We'd all be better off if it burned

• Hmm...

So would you have preferred we'd let Europe be taken over by the Nazis and the Soviets during World War Two?

Have you ever even been here?

• Probably wouldn't have esculated to the same extent. People of the middle east, cuba Vietnam etc would have been happier. The Soviet union would probably have filled your power position though so it'd have been good if that had of burned too. On the other hand the Bolshevik experiment may have gone better from the start and true communism could have been achived. Certainly there would have been more successful revolutions in south America, Africa, and south east Asia which would have been able to oppose the ussr on communist terms rather than imperialist ones which may of lead to a repeat revolution in Russia either through force or diplomacy.

• You are living in a fantasy world, dude.

• I dont mind americans or the US but i personally can't stand the over hype of patrioutisim from any contry

• But my point is that this is more then pure patriotism. I think, from an objective point of view, we have a legitimate claim to being the greatest nation on Earth.

• no not really with it being mostly a subjective view onthe matter there will always be things the US cannot do as efficientley as other contries, if and its a big if it was the best the greatest nation onearth today it would be THE leading nation in the modern world instead of A leading nation in the modern world.

But for a lesson from history look at both rome and the third reichs nations they claimed to be the greatest nations on earth at their times and they in the end became ash in the wind

• But we are THE leading nation in the world today. If we aren't, who is? Our military is more well equipped then the next ten combined, we have the largest economic output of any nation, we invented most of what makes modern life possible (phones, Internet, assembly-line production, airplanes, computers, light bulbs... the list goes on) We are doing more groundbreaking science then any other nation, and, obviously, our culture shapes the global culture. Where am I going wrong?

Also, are you saying Rome wasn't the greatest nation on Earth before it fell? Most historians would beg to differ.

• Everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

• strongest economically and militarily. but other than that, no.

• We aren't culturally and technologically dominant, too? I'm sitting here typing on my American iPod and using the American Internet, and I'm assuming you are probably using a device that at the very least runs an American operating system (such as Windows, Mac OS, iOS, or Android).

• whatever dude..

• You still disagree? Why?