My parents are Christian but I'm not, is it ok that they force me to go to church?

My parents are very religious, but I don't feel the same way. I told them this, and they stand strong on the idea that I'll change my opinion, but I'm not convinced they feel that way. They keep making me see religious people and ask me a million questions. I asked if I could not go to church, but they said if I don't go, I'll get in trouble

• No, don't go its your choice
  • Yea, you should go obey your parents

Most Helpful Guy

• I didn't vote because I was like you. At age 14 I explained in a very mature fashion to my parents my position on going to church.
    They said I could stop going when I reached age 16. Their reason was because I have younger siblings and they didn't want them all to stop going because they let me. So I agreed to the 2 year wait.
    Your situation will be different but continue to talk about it. It will always work in your favor if you can express yourself as a mature person with intelligent ideas.

• I don't have any younger siblings. I came up and told my dad I don't believe in a god. I didn't want to tell my mom because she may get angry. (When she found out, she was ticked off)

• Thanks for the MHO! :)
      But I think you have it too quickly

What Girls Said 5

• Their house, their rules. Just suck it up for the time being and when you're out on your own you can stop going to church. As long as they're not, like, threatening to disown you or something, I think you've got it alright.

• this was the same for me. i went out of respect for my parents but i didn't pray or anything. satisfied both sides.

• As long as you're under 18 and live off them,, to may have to bear it.

• Obey your parents

• Your parents have no right to try and shove their religion down your throat.

What Guys Said 7

• Well, you're underage, so you should obey them, but I think they're doing wrong by forcing you, religion is a choice, you can't force someone to believe in something that haven't even been proven what it says is true.
    I'm atheist, and if my future kids are religious I'm not gonna force them to stop believing, it's their choice.

• Unfortunately, you are dependent on them, so this is something you'll have to do so they'll just keep quiet about it.

Then when you get to move out, you'll never look back on the cult they were trying to force you into.

s3.amazonaws.com/.../favorite_color.png

• Yea, but I don't want to wait until I move out. Also, when I do, they will probably nag me, asking me if I'm going to church.

• That's okay, if you move out, then it won't matter if you do or don't. They'll have to accept it either way, but it's worth noting that it certainly won't help your relations with them. Which cuts a few lifelines, but at least your life won't be forcefully controlled with 2000 years old belief systems. It's a shame, but unless you want to make your life a living hell, you'll have to fake being okay with it until you can leave the house and live on your own to avoid conflict. Your parents don't sound like they understand the concept of not being religious, but still being a good person.

• Well on the one hand they're your parents and you should kind of do as they say whilst you're under your roof. But on the other hand indoctrinating a child is never ok. Dude, just bring something to read or play whilst there or whatever and make your disinterest in the whole bs affair known to them.

• I can't. I have to sit there and listen the entire time.

• I feel so sorry for you dude. Just get lost in thought. Picture a dinosaur smashing through the wall or something. Good luck.

• Yes the Bible says to honor your father and mother.

i0.kym-cdn.com/.../Buddy_Christ_2.png?1318992465

• I think option A - It is your right not to be religious.

• Being sent to a parochial school helped turn me into an atheist. The arguments they used just started making less sense.

• not it isn't ok, but then most religions and religious families keep going by making people do exactly what they do not want to do.