Mao, Stalin or Hitler?

Who was worse?
Give the reason for your choice please. I'm expecting most of you to automatically say Hitler, but please THINK before you answer, even if you do the conclusion that it is Hitler.

Thanks :)

• Mao
  • Stalin
  • Hitler
I have studied all three of these guys in for my History GCSE.
I'd go with Mao. The Great Leap Forward ALONE killed 45 million people, when WW2 killed 56 million total.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say Hitler, but not for the reasons you are thinking. All three were put into power by their respective people. The Chinese followed Mao, The Russians Stalin, and Germans Hitler. But only Hitler was expansionist he took his hate and fear mongering over his borders and imposed it on others who had no say in his rise to power. No Frenchman ever voted to put him into power, no Hungarian, etc. etc.

What Girls Said 4

• Mar was responsible for the starvation of over 200 000 000 Chinese people during the famine which HE CAUSED by telling the farmers to work in the factories instead of collecting crops during the annual crop harvest.

Hitler killed 6 million Jewish people and many other people but his death toll did not reach OVER 200 000 000.

• That's what happens when you put someone who believes in permanent revolution in charge of China :/
      One of many not so clever moves by Mao there.

• Death toll: Mao.
    I generally would say Stalin but Mao was responsible for more deaths. Then again Mao's system was designed to rejuvenate China (? in a way that often clamped down on scholarship, ironically) whereas Stalin's seems to have just been repressive for repression's sake.
    Hitler and WWII, good point other commenter.
    I don't know how you want to measure "worse." In terms of long-term negative effects on the world - probably Queen Victoria and her family, no idea how many people died under various forms of colonialism. The Bengal famines alone caused millions of deaths - one in 1770 is estimated at 10 million.

So yeah - going with the British royal family/parliament.

• Haha, nice choice. By worse I guess I meant most deaths, worst mistakes, worst leader of their country, who was a worse person, etc.

• Ah, yeah, we did some quite nasty things. Rule Britannia and all that.

• Very roman sounding (fittingly). And oops didn't see you were British lol. Sorry. Then again my ancestors were the cast-offs of Britain, I assume.

• Mao killed the most people

• Hitler killed my family. Naturally, I'm gonna say him.

• And plus, he didn't just kill people. He tortured and murdered them.

• My family too. :-(

What Guys Said 15

• They're really difficult to compare:
    Hitler killed all those millions between 1933 and 1945, in a mere 12 years, including a WW he DID start. The data about his murders are known and registered.

Stalin was in power from 1922 till 1952=30 years, also over a larger population, including WW he did not start, a civil war and several great famines. Data are estimated (by American sources, I remember)
    Mao was in power from 1945 till 1976 =31 years, over a population many times as large, including WW he didn't start and several great famines. ( I don't know where Frank Dik├Âtter got his data. From Chinese sources? American? )

During the mentioned famines as well Russia as the PRC were cut off from international markets by WW2 and the Cold War.

Not a clear cut choice thus. Who's responsible for the famines in India and Africa during the previous century?

Difficult choice between these ruthless assholes.

• You forgot to mention George W Bush & Benjamin Netanyahu, it would be a really good comparison with those.

• If we're talking number of people killed, probably not. I don't have the figures but I doubt they're close to these guys on the poll.

• @asker it's not about numbers, it's about the ideology.

• The question says who was worse. That can mean different things to different people. Also, I'm pretty sure Hitler's ideology was a little bit worse that Bush's anyway.

• I chose Mao for the sheer number of murders. What makes Hitler so bad was his hatred of a certain group and did everything he could to commit genocide and his ability to get an entire nation to believe as he

• Hitler specifically wanted to eradicate a race of people because he thought they were "inferior". I don't think the number of deaths should count for who was worse, it simply means Hitler was inefficient at being a murderer.
    Mao and Stalin on the other hand murdered people at random out of war. They weren't attempting any type of genocide. They just killed anyone who disagreed with them.

• It's a hard one, my family was affected by both Stalin's and Hitler's crazyness. At the same time I can't ignore that others suffered a terrible fate under Mao.

I guess I'll put down Hitler since my family fought against him.

• On that level, there is no worse or better. Just someone had more time on the stage, others didn't

• Mao was the worst, followed by Stalin and Hitler was the least bad. But people tend to think that the reverse is true.

• probably uncle jo...20 million estimated killed under his regime in USSR, Mao out and out dictator and Hitler well... the thing is it is difficult to know exactly how many were killed by his direct orders or that of other senior Nazis

• Definitely Hitler

• Hitler for initiating WW2, which is much more destructive than what Stalin and Mao did.

• I would probably say Zedong.

• Stalin didn't do a bad job either

• I love them all.

• stalin. Hitler is only worse sine he wanted world domination, and was a racist.

• Mao. Stalin kinda turned around in the end