Stay positive!!! everything's going to be okay!!! positivity!!! yeah, right?

Let's be honest, who really benefited from this stupid advice?

To be frank, it's frustrating when you have a bad day and someone goes "OH! STAY POSITIVE AND THINGS WOULD GET BETTER!!!" when some REALLY doesn't want to hear it. It's the second useless advice right after "Be Yourself" crap!

Not everything in life if you put a cherry on top that it's going to get better. When life keeps fucking things up for you on every turn, how the hell can you feel positive?

Getting fired after 4 days of work... never had a girlfriend... all my goals had never been fullfilled even when I worked my ass off for it. Yeah! So much for hard work paying off bullshit!

So, tell me... how does "Stay positive" going to help me, eh? If I kept being "positive" will I ever work for Disney or bigger companies?

Most Helpful Girl

• Uhm a lot of people saying that are trying to help you. It's very difficult to sometimes know what to say to someone going through a bad time. I really doubt people who say that mean it in a bad way. To them they want to help but they don't know how always. Besides you know what when I'm going through a bad time I actually like people telling me it will be OK. You can't expect everyone to magically know exactly what to say during your worst times. They're only trying to help. Pity if you can't see that.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not really about staying positive or being yourself. Everything can basically be summarized as, keep on trying. No matter how matter how depressed you are or how many times you fail; as long as you keep trying, your chances of not failing are greater than if you don't try

I'm not saying this to try to cheer you up or to give advice, but things can't possibly get better unless you try. Some people are motivated by positivity and such. Lots of people think simplified words make thing better. Sometimes we need individual advice based on our individual emotions. Positivity will do nothing for them

As for being yourself. As far as anyone knows, it's impossible to be someone other than oneself. No matter how you act, you will always be acting according to who you are. Perhaps it's not about acting as oneself, but figuring out who you are. Perhaps your personality isn't very likable. Perhaps you need to figure out what about your personality isn't likable

Maybe it's not your personality, but something else. Isolate situations with people. Try to figure out your actions and reactions. Ask others to be honest about certain situations you are in. But you have to be open to their criticism

Once again, I'm not saying you are the problem. But you should try to be open to the option. Perhaps you need to change your goals. Ones that can give you little successes. Trick your brain into giving you the satisfaction. Then build up from there

If one option or way of life isn't working for you, then you may want to try something else. It doesn't matter if it feels like a waste of time to go with another option. Everything we do has little importance; whether we are happy or sad, successful or failures, it's all just movement to cause the next movement

Your life may just be filled with failures, but perhaps it caused the success of countless others. And you wonder, where is mine; where is my happiness. Not everyone's happiness looks the same. Not everyone's happiness looks the way they want it too. It's all about options; how you interpret those options, how you share those options, and how you build on them

I'm not saying this as a personal response to your question. I know I mentioned "you", and that can be interpreted as singular and represent the asker. But I mean it in a plural way as a response to those that give the positivity and be yourself advice

Sorry if this reply is irrelevant to your question, or just didn't answer it. Hope you find your answer.

What Girls Said 5

• Hey, everyone has problems. I've had my share of hardships and disappointments, just like you. But I tell you what, my insane sense of optimism has done wonders to keep me happy. Dwelling on your mistakes doesn't do anything except make you feel sucky.

• Oh, wallow in your own self pity then. Everything is shit so why even bother trying eh? That kind of attitude costs lives. So your life is shit, boo fucking hoo. You have food, shelter and no one is actively trying to kill you. Get a grip man and gain some perspective. You have your freedom and that allows you to accomplish great things, but that will never happen if you sit around feeling sorry for yourself. Self pity helps no one.

• Hey, thanks for the tip.

After clearing my head from yesterday, I could have a sense of pride despite getting fired. At least, I didn't quit. I know deep inside that I did better than I thought despite others not thinking so. But who cares about them.

Anywho, thanks a lot.

• Life can throw some real shitty things at you, I'm dealing with one of those curve balls right now. My brother just lost his job, he's been sent to prison. He isn't being negative, yeah it sucks but he's already planning how he can make his life better, take what he can from a bad situation.

I'll tell you what I told him: You'll be ok, you can deal with this.

• Of course its stupid, u aren't working towards feeling positive.

• I admit my guy friend is depressed a lot and comes to me during those times and I tell him this. But most of the time it's because I don't know what else to say.

• I hate it too, sometimes you just can't be positive because you're just in a crap situation, it's just the way it is.

What Guys Said 5

• Staying positive keeps you from getting debilitatingly depressed, but it doesn't help solve the problems you have.

• Just think of it this way:

At least you're not suffering from a flesh-eating disease and starving to death in some wartorn third world country.

• Life reality likes to torment us

• I followed your advice and now I am HIV positive.

• Nope. You won't. But if you stay positive you won't feel so bad.