Should sociopaths/psychopaths be treated with compassion? Can they be saved?

I've had a passionate hatred for sociopaths ever since I was used by one. I knew it was a personality disorder so they can't help it, but I always thought they should just be thrown to the gutter or someplace, like the trash they are but now I've realised they're human too, so maybe they can be saved.
My 9 yr old brother has ODD (Oppositianial Defiance Disorder), which apparently leads to sociopathy and I really fucking hate him. Like, I don't love him as a brother or anything I just purely hate him. He's the main reason I want to move out of the family house and I dont plan on ever speaking to him again once I'm gone. As far as I'm concerned, that little prick is dead to me. I realise that is harsh but that is how I feel. He could very well become a psychopath too.
which is why I ask, can they be saved? Or are they doomed to be manipulative little cockroaches for their full lives?

• Sociopaths/Psychopaths can't be saved
  • There is a chance of them being saved
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• In a fair amount of cases, psychopathy is due to atypical neuroanatomy, specifically in the areas on the brain that are responsible for emotion. So it's very possible that in the case of your brother that's the case. They can work on changing their behaviours and trying to improve their lives, but they'll always have the abnormal brain structure that makes them inherently psychopathic.

Most Helpful Guy

• In some rare cases yes they can come to an understanding but a majority of the time a certain area of the brain is malfunctioning not allowing them to behave or feel like a normal human being. This is usually because portions of the frontal cortex are inactive.
    cdn.theatlantic.com/.../1d4ff4ff3.jpg
    a majority of the time psychopaths do not know or are unaware of emotions, some do posses abilities to feel yet retain a majority of psychopathic traits. Psychopaths are always portrayed in the media as the bad guy, the thing that goes bump in the night; in reality they are not. I am one of those but have I done anything wrong or bad by societies standards? no

What Girls Said 1

• I think that given the correct medication, they might be able to show a bit of empathy. Though there is no cure for that disorder, their reckless behaviors are be somewhat under controlled.

What Guys Said 7

• Dude I hate them. with passion as well and have done lots of reading on them but I don't know about the condition about your brother if it leads to pathic conditions or not I lack knowledge. But sociopaths and psychopaths can't be helped thy will never change most of the missery in the world is due to sociopaths and psychopaths from the lowest street scums to the people in high power.
    I made a post in g@g about this

• Fuck 'em. Most psychiatrists won't even accept them as patients. They never change -- they're inhuman.

• That's a horrible attitude. Those people are sick just like a schizophrenic. They were born that way and can't control it. Would you say a blind person "can't be saved"?
    Yes we can help them through psychology.

• They aren't sick or disabled. They just think and feel differently. I understand now that they should be treated with a little compassion, but in my opinion, after they commit one "sociopathic" crime they should be locked up indefinitely.

• I haven't called myself an expert either? I'm basing my opinion on the research I've done. My opinion isn't solid fact, neither is yours. Also, I'm not perfectly healthy and judgmental either. Just because I'm not an expert doesn't mean I can't have an opinion or ask questions, that's how I evolve my opinion. I know people like us with mental illness/disorders can't control our thoughts as easily as "normal" people, which is why I'm saying maybe some of us with more dangerous/amoral conditions should have an eye kept on them, for their sake and society's. Again, it's your opinion that they are "sick", I just see them as thinking differently.

• No it is not my "opinion". It is the facts from psychologists. I am repeating what the actual experts say. Neither you or I am an expert, but these psychologists who wrote the DSM 5 are.

• Whats the difference between a sadist and a sociopath

• I suspect sociopathology is a spectrum disorder like autism. When people have a mild form it goes unnoticed and can even produce admirable results. You could make a similar opposite distinction of a person who is overly conformist, who suffers too much guilt and remorse, who is paralyzed by the very thought of violence & etc. it would be just as much of disorder, just as much of an imbalance.

• You can't deny people or creatures their nature. Just keep them at arms length.

• Well I guess we could consider that they're on spectrum, some people are more or less sociopathic than others. So perhaps some of them aren't entirely without compassion.

Anyway I don't think we should mistreat them, but certainly we need to limit the harm they can do.