Which language do you think would be the most useful to know (excluding English)?

Vote from the poll or add your own.

• Chinese
  • German
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
I forgot to put Russian! O. o

Most Helpful Guy

• German by FARR.

Its already the strongest economy in Europe, And one of the strongest on the planet. It wouldn't surprise me if in a couple years it became the first strongest economy on earth.

So, Needless to say, In a world where money is everything, German would be the most useful.

Spanish is fairly useless considering theyre economy fucking sucks absolute dick, Chinese is only useful if you know people in high places and Japanese would be cool if your into anime and shit but i dont see much other use for it in the western world other then that.

What Guys Said 19

• French, it's the culture besides English I would say is most worth appreciating in it's native language.

• Well Spanish then Chinese then German. Reason because you have more of those countries with the native tongue in that order.

• I wouldn't say Spanish as it isn't even in the top 10 of most spoken languages. However since this question is going to gag community/users mainly comprised of and located in America im not suprised by the bias results. I dont think German or Spanish would have nearly as much use as Mandarin one of the most spoken languages in the world. Japanese is mainly a native language so i wouldn't expect much from it either. However mandarin would definitely be more useful.

• It depends on if your country or region has a second language... but I'd say make it Spanish.
    This is perhaps where I made a mistake. In Belgium you always learn English and French as second and third languages.
    We than have to choose between German and Spanish. I chose German because it's the largest economy in Europa and our neighbor.
    But there are so much more people who speak Spanish, I should perhaps have made the other choice :o

• In an English speaking country, German is the most valuable foreign language , according to some sources, you can earn an extra of 128.0000$ if you know it at native level.

• Base on picking up time and that language whethere shares the jointly etymology with your naive language. I guess it would be better to choose one of western languages , and its usefulness really depends on the fluency.

• Depends on where you live. I speak Spanish but never use it bc no one speaks it. Kinda useless unless I move

• C++, PYTHON

• Spanish in the united states is solid. If not perhaps russian

• I think this should be inlcluded with an economic metric, China I'll say, German, Indian, Japanese, Spanish. just my opinion. adjust order accordingly.

• i guess chinese since it´s the language spoken by the second most people after English.

• as far as i know, Spanish or chinese. because Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in the world. and for external trade, chinese is useful, but difficult.

• In the future it will be Chinese since it will be the main business power house of the world

• Latin, it's used in a lot of medical and scientific texts.

• Latin is useful all around if you want to understand Romance languages slightly - but it won't be of any use for real life in general terms.

• That would depend on what kind of life you're going to live. You could learn Chinese and never use it. If you're someone who wants to study philosophy, Latin could be very useful.

• And also where you live...
      I already know a bit of Latin - not speaking so much as understanding... I'd be okay to get by.
      So this is how I know it's not in wide spread use and won't benefit me as much but just to understand roots of certain words and phrases.

• Spanish is a lot more useful in the western world than the others listed in my opinion

• german man

• do a good to your brain and humanity and try to learn ancient greek.. .

• You didn't add french. There are a lot of francophone countries around

• Yeah I think Russian is the most useful after English

What Girls Said 14

• I would say Spanish would be the most useful considering there is a large Spanish-speaking population in America. It would probably be helpful with certain professions/careers.

• Spanish , since that already seems to be the second language where I live (New York).
    I often times see things written in English, and then followed by Spanish language (documents, job applications, signs etc.)

• I would say Chinese (Mandarin) and Spanish. Russian would be good to know too but it's probably not as useful as the other two. My family is Russian and my parents would love it if I knew how to speak it better than I do, lol.

• If you're from Europe then it is German. If you are from the US then probably Spanish.. and Chinese if you're in Asia.

• Neither one of the ones you listed. I think Russian and Arabic would be the most useful, because they form the basis of many other languages so knowing either one of those two, would probably help understand a lot of other languages as well.

• Depends where you're from and why you want to know another language (work, travel etc)
    I chose Chinese

But I'm learning Japanese so it's useful for my travels

• I want to learn Spanish.

• French is still a huge language and has always been (It used to be the lingua franca). It's also the most popular second language for people to learn.

• German, in my opinion.

• I know business wise (in the US) they mostly look for mandarin and Spanish. But mainly mandarin

• Chinese is the language of the future says Alexa Vega

• I think French is a commonly spoken language too

• Chinese is the most spoken languagr (I think) and will possibly help with business.

• in my opinion, Chinese!