Can you defend yourself?

• I am trained in martial arts.
  • I am trained in non-martial arts self-defense.
  • I have a firearm and know how to use it.
  • I have a non-firearm weapon and know how to use it.
  • I don't have training or weapons, but I feel safe.
  • I don't have training or weapons, and I don't feel safe.
  • See results.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hahaha I could. . . before. . . a long time ago now it's more of a here take my money kinda situation

What Girls Said 4

• yes :) i've got about 10 years of martial arts and 20+ years of street sense under my belt.

i've had to use a lot of self-defense in the past three years, actually :( definitely not proud, but what can you do, right? drunk men in dc get sooooo unpredictably violent. i've given like 2 bloody noses and had this one guy in a [obviously non-lethal] choke hold for hitting a girl at a party (because she wouldn't dance with him). he was like 200+ pounds and rabid, too.

the best self defense if being able to deescalate a bad situation, which is hard...

• If some huge ass person attacked me, I'm sure I would get the snot beat out of me.

But I think I can scream fire and get attention or go for the balls or eyes if need be. Plus, I'm supposed to buy pepper spray before I go back to college. So, I think I'll be ok.

• I've been practicing Judo since I was 7 or 8 - have reached the black belt (Dan) levels now. I also know how to use a gun but I don't own one, and it would be an absolute last resort anyways.

• I like to think I can. Really though it would depend on the situation.

What Guys Said 10

• Some would call me a bit paranoid but I always take steps to help ensure my safety. These include being a trained MMA fighter, carrying mace and a knife, keeping my doors locked and having a firearm at home (live in Cali so I can't get a concealed carry permit).

I read a story a few years back about a guy who died via gunshot because some dudes just walked into his house with the intention of robbing him. Really shook me up. While the chances of that happening are astronomically low, I'd rather have the means to prevent something like that if it were to happen.

• I should add a caveat here. If you're not trained in firearms and basic weapon safety and don't have the maturity to own a firearm then you have absolutely no business owning one. You're more likely to kill yourself or your kids than die by intruders.

• yeah sure.

• I'm South African. We have no choice but to defend ourselves.

• I am certified to teach a martial art.

www.brocoolnation.com/.../lookout.png

• I got close combat traing in the army. I still know some of the most illegal moves.

• I don't need to fight to defend myself. I have a working brain.

• I have 2 years of Aikido training, but one thing i learned from doing martial arts. They DO NOT prepare you for a street fight, if anything they ill-equip you and you're used to doing routines and techniques

• I can protect myself against anything, except black riot mobs.

• I have pepper spray and a collapsible baton in my car.

I would've gotten a knife but I learned you can't use deadly force unless your life is in danger.

• I've boxed multiple years and been in numerous street fights before that. I'm a sizeable guy to boot, so yeah I know that I can handle myself at this point.