Would you choose to be president or leader of your country?

It's so easy for people to sit back and be arm chair critics because they think the job of being the leader of a country is so easy and that everything you want to say and do just happens. Do you really think honestly that if you became leader of whatever country you're from, you could do or rather, "would be allowed" to do a better job?

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends. My best friend and me sometimes discuss for fun how we would go about making a coup d'├ętat and install an authoritarian dictatorship where we can just do and decide anything we want. Now, given this hypothetical case that I would be a very powerful, authoritarian dictator of my country, I would very much like the possibility to change some things and I also believe that I could make some things much better than the current government (I'm not the type of psycho person who wants to be a dictator to kill or torture people. I simply would like that position because it gives you enough power to try out some rather different/revolutionary models of how a society and an economy could work).
    As for the more realistic situation of becoming a member of our actual, national executive, I definitely wouldn't want to do it. There are a number of reasons for this. First of all, in my country Switzerland, a member of the national executive doesn't actual have a lot of power. Instead of having a president or prime minister like almost all countries, Switzerland has a council of 7 people. They are from 4 different parties (the 4 biggest parties of the country) and they have to decide everything democratically and by means of compromise. That's also why Swiss politics tend to be slower than the ones in other countries. Making compromises is extremely important to us, it's like a founding pillar of our politics (this is also the case for the legislative and for politics on a regional or local level). The advantage on the other hand is that at the end you get a result that everyone can more or less accept. Nobody's opinion gets ignored. As you can imagine, this is an extremely tough and tedious job, particularly on a national level. You have to have so many discussions and you're only a 7th of the final decision-making. Also, there's a law that you have to abide by as a national council in Switzerland, which is that you are always obligated to support the opinion of the majority of the council. So for example you can't just say "well most of the council think xy but I think they're wrong, because xz would actually be the right thing to do". If you and your colleagues decided on something as a democratic team, you have to speak in favor of it to the public even if you personally think it's bullshit (you're not allowed to reveal your personal opinion). This would also be quite difficult for me I think, because I like to speak my mind. Another thing that is a

• great institution but can also make work for our government very complicated is direct democracy. As you perhaps know, Switzerland is the only country in the world that has direct democracy on all levels (also national). These means that the normal people can both make laws (by means of "initiatives") and change or take back laws that the government previously made (by means of "referendums"). While this is very nice for the people and it generally helps a country to feel more solidarity, it can also make your life as politician very difficult. For example it could be that you fought very hard for a law to be made and then it turns out that some guy (or group) hates it, collects signatures, forces a nationwide vote on it, wins, and all your work was for nothing. Finally, the last reason is that in Switzerland, we (including myself) generally have a lot of trust towards our institutions and our government and I believe they're doing a pretty good job. I don't think I could do it better.

• That was a very interesting read indeed. Interesting form of government, but the tedium of having to wait for these people to all agree on something, which I could just as easily say is the same thing that happens in the US, but it doesn't have to be unanimous decisions here, just majority vote. Direct democracy as well seems in theory that it should work because you have a politician at the apex saying I think this is the best for the people, and they can read and listen and analyze, but if they don't like it or think it will fail, it would only make sense that the people it affects have some actual say. I've always hated the idea of an authoritarian government because I think that's very much an ego driven government because it assumes that you by yourself are the smartest and most capable person for essentially every job and problem, and that others opinions have little to no weight. There is no man or woman on earth that knows it all and is best for all tasks.

• 2 heads, or many heads are often better then one because it opens up the idea of more possible solutions to a problem or someone being able to see something you did not see. Plus as we know throughout history, even if you have ultimate power, that has never fully stopped any of those countries from rebelling or overthrowing their government. You can rule as much as you want, and dictate as much as you want to the people but they will only stand for policies that don't help them for so long before they're stringing you up. No thanks.

Most Helpful Girl

• Absolutely not. It's a totally thankless job.

• I always feel like that. Sure someone's gotta do it, and you can't stop trying to be a good leader or whatever, but all the stuff you say you're going to do and promise you're going to do doesn't just happen. People in politics and the outside rim fight you every step of the way over everything and then when you do, get one thing passed, then they tear it all apart. Yeah, no thanks.

What Guys Said 2

• No I can't.

• I'd just push through unpopular changes, fuck what other people think. I know best! lol

What Girls Said 3

• Absolutely not. You could not pay me enough to want the responsibility and stress that comes along with that job. Not to mention you are giving up all of your privacy. No thank you. I will pass.

• Leader i think. President have too much to do

• ... You know that there isn't really a difference, right? The only reason it was phrased the way it was is because not every country has a president as the leader of their country (prime minister, royalty, etc.).

• ^^^I was going to say something, but then I saw under 18, and I just let it be. LOL

• I would not do that.