In your opinion, which is the BEST music genre and which is the WORST music genre?

Most Helpful Guy

• Mwahaha was waiting to see a question like this. Forgive my ranting, here I go...

To start with the worst: Modern rap.
    --Old school rap had style to it, so I can give them credit for the writing of it. However, modern rap today has very little feeling to it in my opinion. I see most of it being one riff on a bass, playing it over and over again, getting models to twerk on your music videos, and then talking about drugs/sex repeatedly as they fill in any syllables they need with a swear. Most of the guys singing end up talking about how much sex they've had or how sexy they or how hot someone is. Most of the girls talk about how sexy they are, how sexy others find them, how trashy they find someone is. It all seems very shallow. The technical skills of most of the bands are pretty low. A lot of it is drum machines, an easy bassline, and a person who can talk fast. Many rappers can't sing well without heavy autotune.

The best (obviously it is only in my opinion): Melodic Metalcore
    --Melodic metalcore is a genre in which you get the heaviness of metal mixed with standard rock sounds. You get the technical skills and people who can play guitar and shred, the drummer needs the ability to play double bass (significantly more difficult than single bass). The singer has to have the ability to scream and sing clean vocals. The lyrical content may be shallow at times, but certainly for the most part is pretty touching (Check out second and Sebring by of mice and men!). They don't cover up themselves with auto tune and they sometimes have weird time signatures that differ from 4/4 that make the technical ability needed much higher.

HOWEVER, while I do enjoy melodic metalcore, I have a certain fondness in my heart for pop-rock, classic rock, and early 2000s alt. rock. My guilty pleasures are The Goo Goo Dolls, Boys Like Girls (Hero / Heroine ftw), and When In Rome. While my guilty pleasures may not have the most technically gifted band (still better than rap!), they often times have great catchy beats and can back it up with their singing ability.

TL;Dr; Rap is crap, I'm a fan of melodic metalcore. However, there are other genres that are still pretty awesome like the alt rock of early 2000s, 80s pop, and the whole pop-punk thing that happened from 90s to 2000s.

Phew. Ok I think I'm done. That's enough ranting for me today and I'm almost out of characters to write with xD

• woah dude, that's a long ass answer :o xD
      And OMG!!! Boys Like Girls is such a massive guilty pleasure of mine too!!! hahaha

• @Klaatu51 Yeah I know the bands you mentioned. I personally don't like their music, but I respect them as musicians. They were able to be inventive in how they combined rock and rap.
      Most people don't focus their hate on those bands though. They focus it on modern rap that is simply rap.
      The people that do hate on those older bands are probably the ones that hate on every music genre but their own. Avenged Sevenfold is a metalcore band but some metalheads despise them because they're "too mainstream" or whatever. People hate on Bullet for My Valentine because they say they are hard rock and aren't true metal.

Apparently even the metal community has metal hipsters lol

• Thanks for MHO! :D

Most Helpful Girl

• Alternative rock is the best and techno is the worst.

What Guys Said 14

• where on earth's "synth-pop"?

anyway i found new-wave (wid tiny letters? ridiculous :( ) so i choose this since synth-pop's a sub-genre of it...

so synth-pop would be my best genre... and my worst would be many... can't choose one... but if i had to choose it'd be anything "acoustic"... i dislike acoustic sound very much... a pain to my ears :(

• I honestly can't decide. I just love music. Jazz, classical and dubstep have special places though. Worst is country. No question
    Yours?

• BEST: Classical. Those people know their shit.
    WORST: Trap?

• Metal is my favorite but there's good and bad bands in every genre including metal. That being said the only two genres I don't care for are pop country and dubstep.

• Best: Rock
    Worst: Russian rap

Russian rap is the worst thing ever invented, as if American rap wasn't bad enough.

• omg, I agree so much, I live in a place where there are tons of russians, I hear shitty russian rap on streets all the time, bad associations.

• I don't live in a Russian area anymore but whenever I turn on the Russian channel on my TV and I see some Russian guy trying to act all gangsta I switch the channel

• For me, my favorite genre is Soul.

And the genre I dislike the most is Bluegrass.

• Best:Epic Symphonic Metal
    Worst: The sound factories of 1920 make known as dubstep.

• Best: Rock
    Worst: Rap/Hip-Hop

I could write an essay on my reasons why

• The best is rock music
    The worst is yodeling

• Best: Electronica
    Worst: Rap

• Best is rock worst is country.

• Metal! But the new metal songs suck nowadays :/
    What about yours miss :p

• Indie pop is the best music genre while the worst is Jazz, I hate it

• best: rock
    worst: rap

What Girls Said 9

• In my opinion - Maybe alternative rock/ progressive metal, the worst - jazz... I just dislike it so much. It doesn't even put me to sleep, it just irritates me.

• BEST
    R&B

WORST

Heavy Metal

• Every one has different preferences when it comes to music I wouldn't call anyone the worse genre. It's an art some people will either like it or not. Personally I don't like country my favorite is probably like electro or something.

• The best, I do not know... I listen to many things...

But I don't like dubstep... one sentence or a few words, and then you got those weird sounds... Sure, it sounds good to dance on when it's loud... But for me that's it

• I love Jazz and Rock.
    I really dislike rap.

• EDM Is my favorite. Country in my opinion is the worst.

• Best: rhythm and blues

Worst: Norwegian metal

• Best - Reggae

Worst - Metal

• Best:Rock
    Worst:Country