What do you think are the best laptops for incoming college freshmen?

Most Helpful Guy

• Your freshman and sophomore year it really doesn't matter the laptop as long as it will run office. After your sophomore year the specs of your laptop will matter. If you are going into a science/engineering or stem major then a HP laptop or really a surface pro tablet (laptop replacement) will work. The surface pro 4's will be released in the fall. They can run anything you would need in any major. I wrote computer programs and other massive software on a pro 3 and it handled it without a problem.

Some graphic design or education major programs require Mac's. So you really need to check with your department they should be able to email you a list of specs you need for the program. I will suggest getting a large storage capacity USB stick though. You won't regret it.

• So a HP laptop would be good for a nursing major?

• I have used numerous HP products for years without issues. Not to mention put those computers through more working hours than 99% of computer users. They will be more than sufficient for your needs. I would seriously look at the surface pro 4's when they come out. The tablet might eliminate the need for carrying books with you as you could get electronic copies of them which is cheaper than hard copies.

But make sure to contact your nursing department or talk to one of the students that is in the program they can typically give you a better indication of what you'd need as a student than the department.

Most Helpful Girl

• macs are good.

• Macs are overpriced to just be used as a word processor and browse for a teenager.

What Guys Said 6

• What is your major?
    I would consider getting a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. However, if you are in a nontechnical major, I would consider getting a Google Chromebook Pixel 2015 LS. For a STEM major, you'll need certain software with horsepower like Excel and possibly Matlab, so then it's best to go with a PC such as the Surface.

• Get an inexpensive windows machine if you're just using it for homework. Asus, Lenovo, and Dell are good brands. Avoid HP.

You could also look at a windows 8 hybrid tablet/laptop if you want the mobility and really compact size, but you'll trade performance for that.

If you're going into the arts and are likely to be using photoshop, illustrator, etc you'd want to look at a higher end mac. But if you're only doing essays and homework, macs are too expensive for your purpose.

• Mac air 13' they are having sales on the 2015's now. Also you can always get a tablet to work off of that is what a lot of students do

• Anything with at least two gigs of ram and decent storage. You really dont need much.

• That depends I suppose on what they are going for, what your price range is among other factors.

• Asking this question is a terrible idea. You're gonna have a huge range of answers and you might even start an argument.

• I see nothing wrong with this question.

• @XNicholeMariex3 I never said there's anything wrong with it. I just mean that you won't get a proper answer. I guess I worded it wrong.

• That's just your opinion. Thank You

What Girls Said 5

• I don't want to be biased, but I just have a macbook pro and it's been holding up.

• MacBook Air for the win

• MacBook Pro (with the CD insert)

• Don't buy a surface tablet the hype for it is great but they aren't that great. I say buy an affordable light weight laptop. Read reviews on different laptops to see which one is best suited for your needs.

• Mac or Acer/Asus