Is EDM the new pop?

It seems like all of the most popular singers and groups/bands of the past are doing collaborations with the mainstream EDM producers to stay alive and even currently popular artists are featuring the EDM producers in their songs.
Pop is most influenced by the EDM. Do you think so?

• Yes
  • No
  • I'm deaf

Most Helpful Girl

• EDM makes pop music better ;) I wouldn't agree that EDM is the new pop. They're two different music styles, it's just that these days, esp. in 2009-present, you hear a lot of EDM with pop music. I don't like pop music that much, I prefer listening to music that is purely EDM.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's just trendy now that's all.

There was a time where many pop songs had an annoying guest rapper interlude but that's not as trendy anymore.

• I agree with you completely. How many years do you think this trend will take to be over?

• I don't know. best guess, a 3-4 years.

• Wow I'm excited to feel the next trend :)

What Girls Said 5

• I listen to some weird stuff sometimes... not "weird" weird, just not mainstream. Usually soundtracks or epic music... not pop or EDM. But from what I gather is that there is EDM in today's pop music. Is it the new pop? Maybe, I honestly don't know though haha.

• Its trying to become pop and honestly it sucks. They're two completely different genres and don't like the collabs but that's me personally. It's same ole, same ole

• I feel like its that shit that skaters listen to like dead mouse or whatever
    No idea, deaf

• EDM appears to be part of pop music these days.

• No, they are two different genres.

What Guys Said 8

• For what its worth, I am a DJ.
    I can say that EDM is influenced by Pop.
    Most of these collaborations are the initiative from the EDM DJ producers that want their song in the Top 40 and n just the dance charts. David Guetta is a good example.

• I love EDM and I'm upset that many pop singers are getting in the movement, but there's so much of EDM that I wouldn't say it's the new Pop. You just see pop singers in House songs, that's it. You never see a pop singer in Hardstyle, Trap, Dubstep, or the other EDM styles.
    Hopefully it doesn't keep growing. A few collabs is cool, like the one Justin Bieber did with Jack U, but constantly having them would end up destroying the genre.

• I agree and I think Skrillex will attract (is attracting) pop artists.

• I like some lyrics in a song but I prefer if it's not from popular artists cause of the crowd they bring. Now you start getting people that aren't EDM fans but are fans of those artists and they don't understand the movement.

• Yeah you're right. Through EDM some shadowed artists found a glory.

• Should I be proud or worried that I don't know what EDM is? Is it electro-dance-music?

• Definitely in the UK and Europe EDM DJs are the current Gods.

• I noticed it back in 2003-2006 when it was all the rage I think it's died down a bit now

• As a D. J for twelfe years i have seen the EDM scene grow tremendously. EDM is more popular than the normal mainstream pop or rock. As a D. J i am extremely happy to see the growth of EDM to a point where it has become the new thing.

• EDM has really been around for decades. It's a branch of house music which I liked in the 80s & early 90s

• House is the branch of EDM.

• I do but to me its not really the same... but I will say I'm a huge araabMUZIK fan. I enjoy Skrillex, Baauer, Flosstradamous... but I don't know if I'm necessarily still a fan of the genre anymore as I am with Hip-Hop & R&B.

• Good. Thanks :)

• Pop is somehow a subgenre of EDM in a way. So collabs between pop artistes and EDM artistes is no big deal