I feel like a terrible and immoral person for something that happened weeks ago?

I was leaving work to go on an errand for a second, & this lady, say in her late 50s, carrying a dog bowl, walked up to my car & said "Miss, could you give me a ride to Yuma St?" I made up some excuse not to do it, & she continued to walk. I mean, there's that common sense not to give rides to strangers and all... but come on, what was she going to do to me? I feel immoral for not having helped her. Yuma St. wasn't even that far from where I was.

What do you think? Do you think I should have given her a lift or was I using common sense?

• You were using common sense
  • It wouldn't have hurt to give her a ride

Most Helpful Guy

• I think would've felt sorry for her, too, but still, you have a right to keep anyone you want out of your personal car.

Most Helpful Girl

• Good call on your part.

Shady people DO disguise themselves as harmless civilians and play on people's sympathies only to stab the good Samaritan in the back.

It's VERY easy to attack and take a driver hostage, because they have to keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

Even of she was genuine, asking a ride from a complete stranger sounds very bizarre to me.

What Guys Said 7

• IMHO, you were using common sense. That said I think you were actually just annoyed that she asked you. You were trying to be quick with an errand and focussed on doing just that. Maybe she was beneath what you think you are, naybe she smelled bad. Whatever it was, you made a selfish decision to deny her a ride based on a sense of superiority. It should comfort you to know you are not alone. Many people do this, that is why they avoid eye contact. Bevause they know that they are going to do it if asked and they don't want to feel bad about themselves afterward. I have done it many times as well. The way I avoid feeling bad about it is by telling the truth. I. E. "no, I will not give you a ride because I only have 15 minutes break and I believe you will delay me causing me trouble at work." "No I will not give you a ride, you smell bad and if I give you a ride, I am going to have to spend the rest of the day getting the smell out of my car." No I will not give you money, I believe you are lying to me about your "needs".

• You did the right thing by protecting yourself. You must be careful these days. You can be killed, hurt, robbed, and so much more easily these days.

• This day and age gotta be careful who you give rides to not all people are
    trustworthy. I believe you were protecting yourself.

• Bit weird of her to ask - You were probably as well to give her a swerve

• I'd feel bad too... But the world is just so fanned crazy... 😢

• You don't know that she didn't have a gun and was going to abduct you...

• thats sorta crazy she asked

What Girls Said 7

• You did the right thing.

Sure, helping her may have been harmless.
    There's a chance she wasn't a threat at all and simply needed help getting to her desired destination.
    But the fact of it is,
    Many people have thought the same way you did,
    They easily let their guard down,
    then moments later they are a victim of crime.

Never doubt yourself.
    You did the right thing.

• There's no right or wrong, but I would have given her a lift for sure. I'm glad I don't live in a country where people are scared of old women with dog bowls asking for help. So sad that most people think you did the right thing, how utterly utterly depressing.

Next time though, just think about how you would feel if you need help one day and no-one gives a shit. What goes around comes around.

• And you lay into me for rethinking not giving her a ride?

Whatever you have against me, it ends now. I'm blocking you.

• you were just using common sense

• Using common sense. I wouldn't have done it either...

• I don't think you should feel terribly. You don't have to do things you're not comfortable doing.

• Common sense. My friend's mom said yes and then she was robbed at gunpoint by the same person.

• That would've freaked me out. You were right to refuse.