America does more harm than good in world affairs. Agree or disagree?

Do you feel that anytime America gets involved in world affairs it does more harm than good? Like Iraq Afghanistan or Libya?

• I agree America does more harm than good in the world
  • I disagree America benefits the world whenever they get involved
  • Undecided

Most Helpful Guy

• America brought us Al Qaeda.
    America brought us the Yugoslav war (many EU states helped them, indeed) sending us a stream of refugees.
    America started the Iraq war sending us terrorists and a stream of refugees.
    Then it toppled Ghadafe in Libya opening the way for a steady stream of immigrants though the Libyan chaos.
    Then it brought ISIS by arming warlords against Assad in Syria.

It financed Ukraine, another problem in the making.
    Now they offered a casus bellum to Turkey, to get Europe involved in the Middle East wars:

edition.cnn.com/.../

It created havoc where it could.
    Dumb , mean or just sorcerers' apprentices playing with fire? I don't know

• America introduced Turkey in the NATO, years ago. ( the US Air Force in Incirlik )

America got Turkey involved in the ISIS conflict, it got Kurds involved too.

Now this happens, it's the start for a new war:
      "Turkey calls for rare NATO talks - CNN. com": edition.cnn.com/.../
      I wrote several times about Turkish involvement, Kurds and art 4 of the NATO statutes.
      I'm only wondering why it didn't happen earlier.

Europe, prepare for another war. :-P
      Thanks , USA :-P

• It would not surprise me if the US placed Saddam Hussein in charge for the sole purpose of justifying the US's involvement in the Middle East during the 90's and early 2000's

• @Xelebrum
      Saddam was indeed a CIA puppet. He got a green light to attack Kuweit from American ambassador April Glaspie in Cairo. Just google it: "Saddam Glaspie" : the transcription of the discussion is all over the web.

What Girls Said 7

• The West as a whole has quite literally have enslaved entire continents for centuries to come. Whether it was through the slavery back in the 1600's or the present day sweatshop conditions - the west has exploited entire countries to the point where they can hardly survive past infancy.

any political business Western countries involve themselves in are for their own benefits, regardless of how we spin it.

• Not like the middle east who just continues to have slaves to this day...

• not at all on the same scale if we're talking factual numbers, but yes definitely. all of dubai, for example, was born from slavery. @BelleGirl21

• I think America has good intentions, but America should also keep out of other countries.

• America forged the way for freedom in this world. That act alone has benefited countries to a level that we may never understand. Have we made mistakes and overstepped our bounds? Absolutely.
    Have we saved countries and possibly millions of lives? Absolutely

• whenever America try to bring democracy to other countries; wars come along
    I think America should not be involved other country's internal affairs

• You forgot Iran.

• America needs to just deal with their internal affairs before most of the external affairs we are dealing with rn.

• It's been fairly definitively proven to be true.

What Guys Said 14

• America has toppled democratically elected leaders to install dictators that do business with us. Mostly in South America and the Middle East.
    We support Israel which commits countless human rights abuses in gaza and elsewhere.
    We've bankrolled terrorist groups in the past to do our bidding.
    Our propaganda machine makes the whole world think the majority of Arabs or Muslims are insane.

Our foreign policy is a joke and I'm not surprised a growing number of people in the world dislike my country based on that record. Changes need to be made if we hope to have friends.

• The US is like the Dark Knight. We are hated but needed to keep the balance. In WWII we helped Europe and liberates S. E Asia from the Japanese. Then if it wasn't for the US NATO wouldn't of done shit over the genocides in Serbia and Uganda. We are some peoples saviors and some tyrants. Even air lifting refugees trapped in mountains as ISIS fighters close in. It's not a one sided argument. There's a good documentary called "A world without the US" and shows how our distance as a super power away from Europe benefits the world in many more ways. European countries some smaller than our states are too align to their own causes to mobilize and fight for causes that doesn't effect them. While we are more likely to take action and be called war mongerers while rope long dictators and human rights violaters. We aren't perfect... but it could be so much worse.

• Completely agree.
    But then again... this can be said about pretty much all big powers in the world. China or Russia or India or Brazil or even Germany aren't any better. Coming from a very small country myself, I wish there were more, say, Icelanders in the world. Symbolically speaking.

• Only Germany, the UK and the US got us involved in wars.

• I'm sure there would be good examples for economic harm that other countries create as well. My bottom line is this: big countries all over the world tend to be extremely selfish and/or ruthless and they love poking around other countries' junk. I took Iceland as a counter example because this is a country that takes care of its people (decent welfare state), and simply keeps to itself instead of trying to get rich or powerful off other countries' misery. They have a very humble, peaceful and nonchalantly grumpy "leave us alone" attitude and I like that.

• @BlueCoyote
      Greece got in debt when the US started over arming Turkey and Greece tried to keep up in the race because of its bad experiences with Turkey over the past 1000 years. The US and UE countries were all to hsppy to oversell arms to Greece. After the 2008 US exported bank crisis all these wanted their money back from Greece.

• Bit of good, bit of bad. Certainly don't support everything we've done, but you have to admit we get blamed for a whole lot of things we aren't responsible for, too. Lot of times, it seems someone is going to hate us for acting, and someone else is going to hate us for NOT acting.

• I always think back to the 2004 tsunami, and that famous photograph of the guy wearing an Osama bin Laden T-shirt while gladly accepting US foreign aid.

• As of the last 30 years, that would be pretty accurate unfortunately

• Your question oversimplifies a very complex topic. I will not defend all of America's foreign policy moves, but in the end the US has many vested interested in many places over the world (not even talking about the Middle East). None of the major world powers can afford to not be involved with each other for a variety of reasons. The US has done a lot of good for the rest of the world, that cannot be understated. But some entanglements like 2003 Iraq shed a poor light internationally on the US.

• Either way, we should stop wasting American lives and dollars getting involved in overseas conflicts.

• Well considering their hidden agenda is to benefit themselves I wouldn't be surprised.

• What have I ever said or done that made you think I know what I'm doing?

• I'll just leave this here. Delete the spaces

https :// www. youtube. com/ watch? v=z4OI0GUCI_A

Oh and this video was banned from tv and radio

• I voted undecided, but between the two. I don't think we benefit the world WHENEVER we get involved (like Vietnam), but we are helpful more often than not. As for Iraq, we pulled out... and what happened? ISIS, and it's spreading.

• ISIS and Al-Qaeda are a direct result of American military involvement in overthrowing the soviets in Afghanistan in the 90s.

• That was during the Cold War, though, when we were trying to stop the spread of our then-enemy. How were we supposed to know that they'd later become our current enemy?

• Because thinking that the enemy of my enemy will be my friend is too dumb.

• yes, i agree.

• Well I think if you magically removed America from the equation you would just get another power taking it's place sooner rather than later. The Chinese would probably be about the same, the Russians worse.

If you somehow managed to avoid having a single great power it would be a surefire recipe for lots of wars.

America doesn't "benefit the world whenever they get involved" but no other nation would either and we've seen how balance of power works.

• Would... would... but the US did and does.

• @jacquesvol

But the question was "does the US do more harm than good?" Surely a complete answer requires an examination of what the situation would be like without the US? That is the only way to access the amount of good or harm it does. A dyke may spoil the view out your window but if it also keeps your house from being washed away it can be said to do more good than harm even though the harm is apparent every day and the good only by comparison to what would happen were it not in place.

• I've been following and studying geopolitics since I was 16. I've seen it happen.

Now they get the whole NATO involved in the Middle East:
      Turkey calls for rare NATO talks - CNN. com edition.cnn.com/.../