Can someone please help me understand this verse to the song Hallelujah?

well your faith was strong but you needed proof
you saw her bathing on the roof
her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
she tied you to her kitchen chair
she broke your throne and she cut your hair
and from your lips she drew the hallelujah

I don't get it because from my understanding, this is a christian song, but it sounds sexual to me? am I miss inturperting, or what? does it talk about something like that in the bible? i'm so confused haha.

Most Helpful Guy

• The song makes reference to the story of Samson and Delilah as told in the old testement Book of Judges.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delilah

As a side note, if you want to read some sex stories, the Bible has many. Have a look at the Song of Solomon sometime.

www.biblestudytools.com/song-of-solomon/1.html

• the bible has sex stories? How? haha

• 3 Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest is my lover among the young men. I delight to sit in his shade, and his fruit is sweet to my taste.
      4 He has taken me to the banquet hall, and his banner over me is love.
      5 Strengthen me with raisins, refresh me with apples, for I am faint with love.
      6 His left arm is under my head, and his right arm embraces me.
      7 Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.
      8 Listen! My lover! Look! Here he comes, leaping across the mountains, bounding over the hills.
      9 My lover is like a gazelle or a young stag. Look! There he stands behind our wall, gazing through the windows, peering through the lattice.
      10 My lover spoke and said to me, "Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me.

Song of Solomon 2:3-10 NIV

Verse 3 is often interpreted as an approving reference to oral sex.

Most Helpful Girl

• The lyrics has meaning towards some of the things that happen in the bible :)

What Guys Said 3

• It's just a reference to the story of either David or Samuel, I forget which one but I digress.

• do you know how the story went or anything? i'm singing this song for a talent show soon and id really like to know what it's about before i try to sing it

• Cool beans! Of course I care :D

• Haha yeah i definitelyfeel better about singing the song now that i know what that means. it's kinda deep if you think about it

• If it is religion then it's all BS so just ignore it and move on

• I'd still like to know what it means though.

• haha yeah one of my good friends are atheist just bc there parents study the bible and all that stuff, i can't remember exactly what it's called, but anyway he says that after hearing so much of it a bunch of it doesn't make sense and how one story will tell you one thing and how another will tell you something else. if that makes sense. so i get where you're coming from.

• yep you have just about hit the nail on the head. Too much contradiction to make any sense and I am an engineer so if it has no scientific proof then it is simply conjecture and most of the bible is just fables and bits of history that is badly told anyway and has that many holes in it that it just doesn't stand up to scrutiny. If you would like to dixcuss further then PM me

• It mixes the story of David and Bathsheba (he saw her bathing on the roof, her beauty overthrew you) and Sampson and Delila, (cut your hair)

In the song generally he's singing about how he loved a woman who hurt and betrayed him but that out of the pain his art has come.

Leonard Cohen was fond of Biblical and Christian imagery in his songs. He is however not a Christian. Compare 'Suzanne'.

"And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water,
    And he spent a long time watching from his lonely wooden tower,
    And when he knew for certain only drowning men could see him,
    He said "all men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them,"
    But he himself was broken, long before the sky would open
    Forsaken, almost human, he sank beneath your wisdom like a stone."

What Girls Said 0