Why can't the drinking age in America be 18 like lots of other countries?

Like, WHY 21 and not 18? If your allowed to do everything else at 18 why not fucking drink alcohol.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have no idea, but it sucks, especially since I come from Europe hahaha At least in America you can drive once you're 16, in Europe you have to wait till you're 18 to get the license. Europe decided to put 18 as the minimum age to do adult stuff, while the US decided to have different ages for different adult activities.

• Woah didn't know that, thanks! Why 18 for driving there?

• Europe also has a vastly superior public transit system, and the urban design of many towns and cities there, being built before the invention of cars, making those two extra years not very impactful.

• @Dandeus true. I don't know if the public transit system is better, it depends on the city, but the US is more spread out, while Europe is more concentrated therefore you can easily go walking to almost anywhere, and if not, you just use the bus or the train.
      In Europe you don't have the necessity of a car like you do in almost all the US, unless you live in a big city, lile Chicago or NYC.

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess Americans think that drinking is more dangerous than potentially dying in combat.

What Guys Said 10

• It's a question that I've asked several times. Teenagers seem to be allowed to drive lethal weapons in the shape of cars so darned young. You can be married at 18 and have a baby. But you can't buy or drink alcohol until 21? Something here just doesn't make sense!!

• Because of money.

Most states used to have an 18 drinking age. In the 80s, at the height of the drug war, the federal government passed a law that withheld federal subsidies for highway maintenance from any state with a drinking age lower than 21. So states could choose to lower the drinking age is they forewent some federal funding, but that's not likely to happen.

21 used to be the common age of adulthood for all things in older times, so that's why the number was chosen.

• The drinking age being 21 give you the advantage of having a fully developed brain before you have the opportunity to destroy it with alcohol.

• Because President Ronald Reagan wasn't for limited government, despite the myths.

• Is it all of America or just most states? I thought in some states it's 18... Or probably that's just regarding about watching porn cuz I always see that warning at the start of the video.

• I've been buying liquor here (puerto Rico) singe age 14... here the law is 18 but most places sell liquor to you fi you look like an adult

• Because 'Murica.

• Why does it even matter love?

• I don't know man america is america LOL.. come to Europe fam, yh fam you get me fam?

• Should be 26, imp, in all countries

• Imo*

• AND your mean...

• i especially dont get why guys are mean to girls on here too, back then guys were way nicer and more respectful to girls than other guys even... what happened to that? like can we have a civil conversation here?

What Girls Said 8

• Perhaps in 'Lots of other countries,' @love2run13, they Begin their Beguine of Doing Everything a bit early in the game. Take marriage for instance. Many of them start real young even before they are old enough to know how to hold a glass, it seems.
    However, America is more Strict with some things and knows that with "The drinking age," that with so many accidents and Incidents of tying one on, they are making 21 the Age Of: Accountability instead of 18 where they may feel a person is starting To... Age like fine wine.
    However, even a body who is 50, gets stopped for DWI... Some never learn and others just learn the hard way, no matter how old.
    Good luck. xx

• Because American teens are crazy and can't be trusted. They'll probably get drunk and drive. Increase the death rate of car accidents and hit and runs.

• Yea but i feel like making alcohol illegal just makes teens want to drink even more. maybe if it wasn't it wudnt be such an attraction and they wouldn't do as much stupid shit. either way tho thats their dumbass choices, their parents should be watching them instead of letting them do that shit.

• That's the price to pay for being able to drive at age 16 ;)

• I think it's because we drive earlier. Other countries can drink earlier but won't be driving until later. We are the opposite.

• You can't gamble until you are 21 either.
    But yes I agree that if men can be forced to go out and die for war at 18 they should be allowed to drink at 18 and if girls can be legally permitted to fornicate on film at 18 they should be allowed to drink at 18.

• It's not that serious. If you're so eager to drink then do it.

• I'm personally not that eager but my point is that people do it anyway so why not make it 18 if you can do pretty much anything else when your 18 lol

• People drink at 12 and 13 so why not make that the legal age. But think about it some 18 year olds are still in high school that means more underage drinking and more accidents. At age 21 you would have graduated and a tad bit more responsible.

• Meh maybe we shouldn't have a drinking age cuz its too much trouble

• I think it should be 21 everywhere. Same with cigs and weed.

• waat? no way :/ i think smoking should be banned everywhere tho those actually do kill

• does it matter?
    it's not like American kids follow morals or anything (not most of them anyway)

• Its just annoying to me that most teenagers in Europe get to drink and we don't (legally) :( i just dont see how it makes any sense