Should I report this daycare?

A few weeks ago, while job searching I was invited to interview with a daycare. The first interview went well, they told me about their training process and their philosophy and I ended the meeting thinking highly of them.

A few days later they emailed me asking for a second interview where they wanted to me to spend at least 2 hours at their facility and I would not actually be interviewed by anyone. They said that this interview was to see how comfortable I was in the facility.

This daycare center had not run any background check on me and despite them having a training policy, I was not trained. In MN it is illegal to require work for employment and not pay, even with working interviews. When I arrived I was instructed several times to fulfill tasks of the staff, even though this was an unpaid "interview". I feel there are two very big problems with this daycare. Firstly they are not following labor laws in regards to payment, interviews, or training. Secondly, this sort of "interviewing" process leaves the children in risk of danger. Putting random people in unpaid positions for hours at a time, who they have not ran any background check on around children and even going as far as to instruct them to go places alone with them.

• Yes
  • No
Update: I reported the daycare to the department of human services child care center licensing department. They are being investigated and depending on how the investigation turns out, may have their license revoked. I didn't report them for their labor violation because I'm hoping this will wake them up and cause them to start following all employer laws.
"each truth is a truth only within a specific context" That is the very nature of moral relativism. Morality is not a science. How can you even argue that it is when you are also arguing that things are only true under certain circumstances. Water always boils at the same temperature, you are saying that what is right depends on the context, which is by definition relativism.

Most Helpful Guy

• "It's illegal" is irrelevant to the moral argument. Laws can be and often are incorrect.

You are not entitled to other people's money. So, unless they violated the terms of the contract between you two, they did not violate your rights by not paying you, and you shouldn't report them to the police for that, regardless what the law says.

As for protecting children, is it a violation of children's rights for people to be allowed to have their own children without having had background checks? No. One does not have to wait until violence has actually been committed, but the threshold for labelling an act an attempt at a rights violation has to be pretty high. If someone runs towards you with a knife, you don't have to wait until he stabs you to strike him. But, you can't legitimately argue for example, "Well, he frowned at me. So, even though he was unarmed and standing far away, I decided to shoot him in self-defence". It would be even less legitimate to argue, "Well, there was nothing suspicious about him. But, he could have been a murderer; so, I decided to strike him". So, no, the children's rights aren't violated, and therefore you shouldn't report the daycare to the police in that regard either.

• Whether or not what the daycare is doing is illegal or not is very relevant. I am a mandated reporter, that means that I am required to report any instance where the law is being broken, not when people are doing something against my moral code. I am not sure why you are implying having your own kid and strangers being brought around other peoples kids is the same, it not, not by any legal, biological, or moral definition. by the way peoples morals are corrected more often than the law.

• Yay you have completely dropped the your whole point about morality and made it science time. The boiling point of water on earth outside of laboratory conditions is 100. It is seldom that you will find any natural atmospheric pressure that would produce results much less than that. That is why it one of the main reasons it is on the Celsius scale sweety.

This is not about science though, this is about your morality and refusal to admit you a moral relativist. Science is objective, your morals are not. Why can you not argue with the definitions of moral objectivism? I'm guessing because you don't truly support it and it does not support your claim.

Good job trying to deflect attention with the water though. You moral relativists are some tricky bastards.

• Well, I gave you too much credit. I assumed that, if given an example like that, you might understand.

And you did, by the way, say "Morality is not a science. How can you even argue that it is when you are also arguing that things are only true under certain circumstances. Water always boils at the same temperature, you are saying that what is right depends on the context, which is by definition relativism". So, presumably, now you too are a 'relativist'. Or you could still try to understand that saying "Killing is OK when I feel like it" is different from saying "KIlling is OK, only if the following facts apply". Or let's put it this way: killing itself also depends on context, as does everything else. Not every act is killing. So, why don't you accuse yourself for (presumably) not believing that all acts are wrong. Aren't you being 'relativistic' by labelling only some acts as wrong and not others? After all, an act is a killing only in a specific context.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, you should. Not only is it very unfair that they're not following labour laws (as well as it being illegal), but the way they're interviewing puts the children at danger. They should be reported for allowing the children to be put at risk, and hopefully, something will be put in place to ensure the childrens' safety.

What Guys Said 4

• Absolutely report them. Don't let the prospect of having a job there get in the way of doing what is right.

• Did you have to fill out an application at any point before going into the second 'interview'?

• No and they never asked me to. They just took my resume, which does not have my address on it.

• I would definitely report them. Might want to start by calling a lawyer in your area or even the local news station.

• do it , i wouldn't want a kid to go there

• I hope you reported this daycare because if they are in violations of hiring Lord only knows how well the children are being taken care of at that facility.

What Girls Said 5

• absolutely report it!! Not only is the labor part of the ordeal unjust... Those are someone's KIDS!!! It's better to have the problem addressed professionally and managed before something bad happens. Who knows, it may not... But you sure should rest easier knowing you did the right thing here. With all of the crazy stuff going on in the world you really never know what to expect from people! And a day care facility should know that!!!

• Definitely! You could be a pedophile who's been traumatizing children for years for all they know. REPORT THEM stat.

• I think you were right in your actions. I do not agree with evenlift in anyway whatsoever, I think he is totally wrong on this.

• I applaud you for reporting them!

• Glad to hear you reported it. We have some weird people here.