Is drinking alcohol prohibited in Christianity?

Most Helpful Girl

• My interpretation is that having a drink here and there is ok. Drinking to get drunk is not.

Most Helpful Guy

• That would depend on which denomination you ask. Fundamentalist Baptists prohibit it. Catholics do not.

I cannot recall a specific passage in the New Testament banning it and there are in fact references to its consumption by Jesus and his disciples.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm no expert but I believe being a drunk is a sin. The act of consuming alcohol isn't. Even Jesus drank wine in the bible no?

• Getting drunk is prohibited

• I see priests drink wine all the time, so I'm guessing no.

• No, I don't think so. I'm catholic and I haven't heard that

• Catholics only?

• I can't speak for other religions but in my religion the bible says nothing about not drinking alcohol

• Well, considering Jesus made water into vine, I'd say no it isn't, drink away.

What Guys Said 16

• No. If you knowingly and willingly drink to excess, that's when it's wrong. If you just have a few drinks with family or friends, you're fine.

• No. Jesus himself turned water into wine.

A prohibition on alcohol consumption has been imposed onto some denominations of the faith by those with anti-alcohol ideologies; such ideologies are at best only weakly and partially rooted in scripture.

• I wouldn't say prohibited but moderation and abstinence would be encouraged.

• Given that the first miracle attributed to Jesus Christ is turning water into wine, I think not.

• From what is written in the Bible Christians are not supposed to drink alcoholic beverages. This is very much misconstrued where people think it's okay as long as you drink but don't get drunk.

• Does this mean Jesus is going to Hell?

• It's the truth though people back then seldom even drank water.

• @creepycreeper they didn't much water if I am not mistaken because it was dirty or whatever. We can both agree with the water. The translation of the text gives all the information people need if they take the time to look at it. I researched it because like others I was confused about it. Once it I did it is very cut and dry. There was a difference between the two like I previously stated. I'm not worried about it was kept as that was not the focus of my research.

• Well in Catholicism you literally drink wine during mass.

• Actually, the Catholic Church teaches that it truly is the Body and Blood of Christ in Holy Communion under the form of bread and wine. HOWEVER, no, drinking alcohol is NOT prohibited in Christianity :-)

• No it is not. Drinking alcohol *to excess* is prohibited. Drinking alcohol with reasonable moderation is perfectly fine.

• Considering how many Christian judgmental drinks there are, they think it's just fine because they are only poisoning them self not fucking someone in the ass while or calling their cunt mom a cunt

• Nope they drink wine at their own mass

• Not that I know of... over-indulging is, though

• well im a christian and im going to drink when im older + my dad does it. im protestant

• No we are supposed to drink the blood of Jesus and his blood is alcohol.

• Im Greek i live in United states im Orthodox Christian its not prohibited LoL first time i hear it

• Christianity, much like the judicial system, outlaws anything that's considered "immoral". For example the judicial system says that people under 21, without adult supervision should not be drinking

• Religion - brainwashing people.

• Dude, don't be a square