Why is not offensive saying negro in Spanish to black person but offensive saying ni gger to black person?

their the same thing

Most Helpful Guy

• The literal translation of negro is black, so I don't believe it's the same. Obviously there's a similarity in the word but even if it meant the same it just doesn't have the same weight/context in Latin America as it has in the US, given that the history and background of the words are completely different.

Also, I've been in several Latin American countries and the white vs. black thing is basically non existent since there is so much variety in races and ethnicity. If anything, I did notice latinos have their stigma and towards Asians. I saw a lot of people mocking Asian people and making up stuff about their cultures, super weird.

What Girls Said 4

• Negro means black but it's neh-gro not like Nee-gro. And the way language is usually set up is when you're describing a person you'd say a more translated version or refer to the person as a title as opposed to saying the adjective itself to describe them.

• "Neh-gro" is a color and is not offensive. "Nee-gro" on the other hand is, and you know exactly why. What if I called you a cracker? How would that be different than me talking about a saltine cracker? It's stupid and you know the difference.

• You know damn well that its different.

• Both are offensive. White people should be more offended that they're blanco (blank; invisible) haha.

What Guys Said 4

• No there not the same. n** is a vulgar highly sensitive word to African Americans.

• You said negro is black right? It's because negro means black, but neegro or the other word translates to something of the equivalent profanity level. So calling someone negro is just like saying they are a black person which does not offend most blacks.

• No it isn't ''negro'' just means ''black'' in Spanish. It is believed that slave owners in the United States, etc decided to use the same word, but use a different definition for the word, which is a horrible definition and to use it in English, which when using it in English is a horrible definition. Also the N word with 6 letters is racist because of the messed up definition as well.

• Negro is espanol for black..