A well known lion was killed by an American dentist. How do you feel about this?

Cecil, a 13-year-old lion, wandered out of his sanctuary in a national park in Zimbabwe this month, following the scent of a potential snack.

At the other end of Cecil’s search was a lure, placed there by hunters who, conservationists say, wanted their prey to cross into unprotected territory so they could kill him.

Cecil, well known to those who visited the Hwange National Park in western Zimbabwe for his jet black mane, was beheaded, according to conservation officials. His corpse was left to rot in the sun.

Zimbabwean officials said that Dr. Walter J. Palmer, an American hunter known for killing big game with a bow and arrow, killed Cecil, and was being sought on poaching charges.

...

When I first heard about this, I was sad because a beautiful animal has died in a tragic way, and I was angry because that dude killed him for absolutely no reason other than to make profit. I love animals and this just hurts my heart. How do you feel about this?

read more here

• I feel sad for the lion
  • I feel angry that the guy killed him
  • I feel both sad and angry
  • I don't know what to think
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• I say lets strip that dentist make him run in the safari. That lion's life has a value. I love lions even though they don't care.

Most Helpful Girl

• I am beyond angry. The lion was an icon in the reserve, was wearing a collar and was lured to his fate. He was obviously trusting of humans to a degree, living in a sanctuary. I don't curse, but this made me boil over.

Flicking butt wipe. I hope he gets prosecuted to the fullest extent and I hope his patients leave his practice in protest.

• That's what upsets me the most, that poor lion trusted us. Scum like him, betrayed Cecil. Now everything of Cecil is gone, because other male lions will kill his cubs and take over his pride. Walter deserve everything he gets. He hasn't just killed Cecil, he now has had Cecil whole family on deaths door.

What Guys Said 15

• I hope people like him, get the death penalty. Sorry we just don't need people like him in our society. Sick individual for killing a beautiful creature. Its disgusting behaviour.

• It was poaching and he needs to be punished to the fullest extent of the law

• Angry,
    I am not opposed to hunting , I am opposed to hunting endangered animals.
    Hunting should be sustainable.
    Ducks unlimited for example understands that and has preserved 12.8 million acres of wetlands, They want this tradition and fine hobby (when done sustainably) to continue so they have dedicated themselves to preserving one of the most endangered ecosystems in the world and have done far more for the Environment as such as groups like PETA ever will.
    The great American hunters would be ashamed as people like Teddy Roosevelt and Daniel Boone and Davey Crockett understood, Hunting is supposed to bring you close to nature.
    Teddy Roosevelt would look at the Numbers of lions left and want to murder this man as he understood that if there are no more of an animal you can't hunt them.
    I come from a family of hunters and hunting is supposed to bring you closer to nature by making you a part of that ecosystem. Done sustainably and humanely it is an honorable activity, this man was making a mockery of what hunting should be.
    You want big game,
    stay in the states and participate in a deer cull, in MA as we have foolishly expiritated all native predators, the white-tail deer has exploded to unsustainable levels,
    Their was a deer cull in the blue hills as their was a deer density of 80 to an acre, their should be 2 to an acre.
    Go hunt sustainably eat what you kill (Or give it to a food bank, thats food and many people go hungry.)
    So while I have never been hunting, my mother grew up that way,
    in her words,
    NEVER KILL SOMETHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO EAT.

• How about we have a dentist hunt and shoot that fucking awful person? Typical bloody Yank with no respect for anything other than his own self gratification...

• I know right

• Total waste of a life. That lion had as much right to live as any of us and wasn't even killed for food, just to satisfy that bastards need for gratuitous killing and an ego. He needs to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and preferably charged with murder

• I don't really feel much to be honest.

• This hurt me tho lol

• I do feel kinda bad when I see dead raccoons on the side of the road but that's because they are my favorite animal.

I never really cared much for lions but I wouldn't kill an animal for it's fur.

• Yeah I understand.

• This was straight up poaching and this dentist knew it. He has illegally hunted before. The lion didn't wander out of the protected area, he was lured for a mile with food and then shot by an arrow. It took them 40 hours to find him and finally kill him, so he suffered for 40 hours with an arrow wound. Anyone who knows anything about lions knows that when you kill a dominant male lion, it drastically increases the odds that rival males will kill their children. So he didn't just kill this lion, he killed the lions cubs as well. Why did he do this? For a picture and a trophy. He can go fuck himself.

• He shall henceforth be known as He Who Hath No Testicles.

Seriously? Luring an endangered, TAME animal out of protected territory to shoot it and take selfies with the corpse? I'm a staunce supporter of the second amendment and I have no problem with hunting if it's for food, but trophy hunting has always seemed completely pointless to me.

They should've confiscated his passport and left him over there to face jail time with the rest of his compatriots.

• It should have been the other way 'round.

• I take the non feeling route because when you hunt criminals you have to keep emotions at bay.. or else you become compromised

• The beauty of nature being destroyed by the greed of people always upsets me. It happens on so many levels, even in ways I'm guilty of.
    May Cecil rest in peace :'(

• The dentist should've never paid the 54 thousand to go kill the lion. Now that the Internet has ruined him out of revenge for this heinous act, he should be extradited to Zimbabwe to face charges.

• Famous Alpha male lion with many mates gets killed by some rich jackass weak human with a bow. Yes, It does piss me off.

• I dont have a problem with hunting but only when in the season and only for food. Shooting a lion through a high powered scope of a rifle was wrong. Just because you can kill a lion doesn't mean you should.

• I'm disappointed there's no "I don't give a f***" option.

Perfect example of media deflection -- everybody be outraged over this unimportant thing with (1) a cute animal, (2) a known villain, and (3) no consequence for anybody.

Getting your panties in a bunch over this joke of a story is so much more important than anything else going on right now, right?

• They say there will be no more lions in 50 years, we have to protect them you oblivious asshole.

• Feel better?

• I picked other. I don't care.

What Girls Said 7

• That's barbaric. All humans should be exterminated just for the poaching that happens. Seriously. Humans are evil.

• I'm mad in general at people who hunt for fun/sport, like that girl who hunts for fun and then posts pictures of herself posing with the dead corpses. Truly disgusting.

• I don't really have an opinion tbh. I don't feel sad for the animal's death because this things would maul in me in 5 seconds, HOWEVER this does not justify its death.

• He should be put in prison.

• It was really unesscary. Now his Cubs will die after another dominant male takes his place. I don't agree with killing random animals anyway. Most people don't eat lions so it's unesscary to kill them.

• Awww 😫😢😭😖

• God that's awful.. It makes me sad :(