I'm 16, but I still can't watch horror movies.. How can I get over that?

When I was a kid, my parents didn't let me watch any horror movies, which is normal, but as a rebellious, annoying child, I always found a way to watch a few scenes of those movies. Some of them were really disturbing for me to see (e. g. "Bless the Child" was the most disturbing in my opinion) which made me regret what I did. The thing is, I seem to still have a problem whenever I decide to watch a horror movie; I always get scared and cover my eyes whenever I think something is going to happen. Now It's been almost a year since I have watched any sort of such movies, and it makes me really upset. It's like I got it reversed; I watched them when I was young and can't now that I'm grown up. I get scared whenever I think about the possibility of getting nightmares. I'm absolutely sure this is not normal.. is there some way I could get over such feelings?

Most Helpful Guy

• Watch the less frightening ones first and work your way up to the more horrifying ones, personally I don't know why you want to watch em, they are so predictable it is quite literally the same base scenario over and over again with everyone making the same mistakes and there is no real story to them, at least the classic horror movies had a good story and characters to em.

Most Helpful Girl

• Its normal some people are like that and many friends of mine. I am 15 and the opposite I love horror movies and watch them all the time. I don't know horror movies never affected me I can watch horror movies before I sleep and maybe even laugh at some scenes. Well its just me maybe cause I'm kind of heartless don't know.

What Guys Said 7

• Try watching scarh movies with friends. You can also watch them from suspense horror then gradually work your way up to gorier ones. You also have to try and convirnce your self that what your seeing isn't real and that its fake.

• I am 27 and do not even watch scary movies. Why do we need to see violent and despicable acts such as murder or rape on TV? All that does is desensitize us to evil. The way you react is natural, what is unnatural is how dumb kids sit and watch that shit until it seems normal to them. And people wonder why teenagers go and stab their families to death and shit like that. Maybe if we didn't show them how in movies and make them think it's cool they wouldn't do it...

• I'm gonna answer this the same way I solve all the stuff in my life I don't like.
    If I don't like it or doesn't make me feel good, I don't watch it, do it or eat it.

• "now that I'm grown up" - you are 16 lol

Anyway, I can't watch them either. Too scary. There are plenty of other films though, it's not a big deal.

• I hate them at my age. They don't scare me, they're just not my genre. I wouldn't worry about getting over it.

• If you watch them with your friends then they won't be even slightly scary, with numbers the flaws in movies are just to apparent. It's only scary when your alone and then your mind can wander and put you on edge.

• What them with your boyfriend he will keep you safe

What Girls Said 3

• You're fine, some people are just scared of horror movies.

• just know its all fake

• Play outlast and they won't even seem scary anymore