Should community college in the United States be free?

• Yes, I think it should be free
  • No, it shouldn't be free

Most Helpful Guy

• Sorry, this is a bugbear of mine.

There is no such thing as 'free', what you mean is not paid for at the point of demand. We all end up paying for things the government supplies for 'free'. The problem with not paying for things at the point of demand can be illustrated by imagining what it would be like if say ice cream kiosks were 'free'. You get inferior quality and service at greatly increased cost, no innovation and rampant political interference.

• and the same things happen with a capitalist system. you get inferior product for an extremely high price due to the fact the education has become secondary to the business of schooling. therefore schools main jobs turns to making money and not providing the best education. That's the inherent problem with captilism. Profit is always the most important thing

• @cjmtherfcker

I'm no fan of capitalism. Markets (quite a separate thing) are the thing which keep people honest and markets need a certain amount of regulation. Ideally there should be a market in education where the consumer has the power, not the supplier but I don't know how you would bring that about. Modern education does not lend itself to markets.

• which is why it should not be a capitalist venture. maybe we are agreeing a bit

Most Helpful Girl

• It should be free for people who graduate in 4 years or for people who work part time while going to college. It should no be free for the others.

What Guys Said 7

• Yes capitalism has fucked the higher education system in America. This is why European an Asian countries are producing so many more high skilled workers because they get those educations essentially for free

• I went for free but only because I graduated as Salutatorian and received a full scholarship to several community colleges and one university

• I think all education should be free! Who benefits as well as the student? The country where you live!! There's massive investment in infrastructure etc, so why not in people?

• of course... does it have any meanin of being otherwise?

• Nope, besides nothing in life is free, there is always a price.

• nah, i don't think so cause i don't trust government as usual

• Yes, it absolutely should... just like public high school started many years ago. Time to upgrade the system... and reduce crushing student debt.

• Community college does not impose crushing student debt. It's damn near free as it is. My local one costs about 50 bucks a credit I think. The costs of 4 year schools is the problem.

• Maybe it's "damn near free" where you live. It still costs. Student loan debt is the number one debt in this country. It's a big problem. Making CC free will make a big difference.

What Girls Said 6

• No, community college in the United States should not be free because it is still a legitimate higher education. Are you implying that large amounts of professors should spend hours working for free so that Americans can go to community college for free?

• No, of course they should still get paid.

• So you believe that taxes should be raised in order for community college to be free?

• I do believe they should.

• The only way it will be "free" is by raising taxes yet again. There is no such thing as free, for every "free " thing, someone else is paying for it.

• Nothing is free. What you're talking about is shifting the cost from the student to the taxpayer. I don't necessarily think everyone else owes me a college education. If you live in district, community college isn't that expensive. I worked and paid my way through community college. If I can do it, others can.

• The taxes are low so that's why college costs so much

• I wish it was or at least an associates degree should be free. That would be nice

• Absolutely!